New Orleans Streetcar Question???

jordanaire

Can you take luggage aboard the streetcars in New Orleans? We are thinking of getting a hotel near the port and was wondering if the streetcars would allow us to take our luggage from the hotel to the port?

:cool:Bill

We used to live there, and have only been on the streetcars less than a handful of times. They are VERY small on the inside, but like any transportation, if there's a will there's a way. Just realize you can do it, but it might not be the most convenient of things you'll do while you're there.

Shawn in AK

I don't think there is any prohibition but if the streetcar happens to be crowded there might not be any room for your luggage. I didn't think the streetcar went as far as the Cruise ship terminal either but upon checking I found this:

The Julia Street Cruise Terminal Complex is located within the same building as the RiverWalk Shopping Mall, a world class mall with everything from a food court to Victoria’s Secret, Gap and Limited. Shop until it's time to board the ship.

The cruise terminals are all on the RiverFront streetcar (trolley) line, with two stops adjacent to the cruise terminals.

so, maybe. . .but I think I would just take a taxi.

You can bring the luggage on, but be aware that you will still have to carry your luggage to the hotel. If you stay in the Warehouse District or French Quarter, that will be a minimum of a long city block as the riverfront line runs on the river side of the levee. There is usually a least a short block to get to at least Decatur Street.

If you stay on Canal Street, you most likely will have to transfer to another trolley at the foot of Canal Street (again a short walk to the Canal Street trolleys). Once you leave the Canal Street trolley, you will have to cross from the trolley tracks in the middle of the street across 3 -4 lanes of traffic. Of course, you will then have to walk to your hotel (stops are fixed, not on demand).

To stay in the Garden District, you will need to transfer from the Riverfront to the Canal Street Line to the St Charles Street line.

If you plan on transferring lines, tell the operator as you get on; there is a transfer fee. You also must have exact fare for the trolleys; no change is given.

A taxi is much easier.

If you plan on staying in town, do buy a trolley pass. You can get one day passes or up to (I think) 3 day passes. You buy them on the trolley. If you take three rides in a day, you recoup the cost of the pass.

Be aware that the pass is good for a 24 hour period that is fixed - not midnight to midnignt but something like 5 AM to 5 AM (start time is the first run of the day for the trolleys).

I probably am wrong, but I didnt see any way to take a street car to the port from where we stayed at the Drury, you still had to walk. The hard part of the walk was getting behing the Convention Center and finding your way around it.

As much as I like old streetcars, and the green cars in New Orleans are the oldest operating in this country, I must say the suggestion of taking a cab makes a lot of sense to me. That being said, the people who run the streetcars there are eager to help visitors. Call them and ask.

Green cars were built by Perley A. Thomas in High Point, North Carolina in early 1920s. One of my customers when I was still working was Perley Thomas' grandson. Red cars came from Melbourne, Australia. All are lovingly maintained by one of the best shop forces in the world.

Doc

Archived