Upsell - our TA was told something interesting by NCL!

browniegirl

Hi all, our TA called NCL approximately a week to ask about a possible He upsell on our upcoming Apr 10th cruise on the Star. There was only an AC left (we are in an aft AE) and they wanted $800 more for us both and when he enquired about the Garden Villa, he was told that they NEVER UPSOLD the Villas, and they never upsold them to anyone who hasn't stayed in one before!!!!!!!!!!! I feel kinda depressed.........the only chance we'd ever have in our lifetime of staying in one of those fancy suites is through an upsell and now we've been told by NCL that this will never happen because we haven't stayed in one before!!!

Has anyone else encountered this? Our poor TA even asked them if he got a discounted rate that he could offer us and they said NO. I guess us lowly canucks weren't worth the offer!!!! Thank god we booked a good cabin to begin with but there was always hope..........

Leah

Total BS. Just read the board here.

I was at a networking event a few weeks ago and met someone taking a cruise on the NCL Jewel. I gave him as much info as I could having been on the Jewel twice. The last thing I told him was be ready in case of an upsell call.

Fast forward a month, met up with the same person post cruise. They received an upsell call for a GV, took it and had a fabulous cruise. First time on NCL, first time cruising.

God help them the next time they cruise as they have been spoiled for life.

That is totally untrue. We were upsold to the GV on the Star in 2009. We were originally in an Aft BA, were upsold to an AC, the finally the GV. For our week cruise to the MR our final cost was a little under $3K per couple for 3 couples. That was 35% of the original cost of the GV. So don't give up hope. The upsell fairy does make offers if you have never been in the GV before.

You know...........I found it very strange what they told our TA and I felt so bad for him as I had told him that I read about tonnes of people getting these upsells...........and then they told him that crap!!!

Burn............

Leah

You know...........I found it very strange what they told our TA and I felt so bad for him as I had told him that I read about tonnes of people getting these upsells...........and then they told him that crap!!!

Burn............

Leah

So I'm just asking.. no insult intended.. but there are many many many postings on CC by folks never sailed in a GV before that have been offered and took an upsell to a GV by NCL. I'm just curious.. has it not occurred to you that maybe NCL did not tell your TA that? Is there the slightest chance that maybe he told you that for whatever reason he might have?

So I'm just asking.. no insult intended.. but there are many many many postings on CC by folks never sailed in a GV before that have been offered and took an upsell to a GV by NCL. I'm just curious.. has it not occurred to you that maybe NCL did not tell your TA that? Is there the slightest chance that maybe he told you that for whatever reason he might have?

Hi, no insult taken. No, my TA is awesome, we've been using him for cruises for years and he himself does alot of cruising but he just recently did his first NCL cruise - and loved it. So, I'm not surprised he didn't know this information as he has been a pretty heavy promoter of another cruise line for the past few years and we've just always wanted NCL, so he booked it for us. It wasn't until recently that he and his wife and some friends did an awesome cruise on the Gem and they plan on doing another NCL cruise next year now as well.

So, nope, he knew we were hoping for the upsell fairy........I'm just a pesty little customer and drive him crazy! Oh well. I have emailed him tonight and gave him the FYI on all of this and also the reassignment number for the future.

I am always so glad to hear when other get upsells, wish we would one of these days..........fingers crossed for next time!

Leah:D

I'm not at all surprised that an NCL Rep would give that bull to your TA.

I heard the exact same thing when I called in to ask for an upsell myself. Unless you are talking to the upsell desk, any other rep has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. I'm sure your TA called and talked with a Rep. assigned to deal with TA's. Not the upsell desk. It's ridiculous how clueless these Reps. can be. It's been this way for years.

Browniegirl-

As mentioned here on CC, many people hope for the upsell fairy, but few get the call. My cousin is my TA and I asked her how often she has received the call for herself or her clients, on NCL or other lines. She said some, but not very often. I asked about calling and getting one. She said it does happen, but even less.

So I book the best cabin I can afford... And I still hope the fairy sprinkles some of her pixie dust my way... But I know it's a long shot... So when I read about the folks on CC I get excited for them. Maybe one day you will be the one telling all of us!

BINGO!!! I used to be a TA and I once asked NCL res agent could clients 'pay to upgrade' upsell to the Garden Villa I was told that this never happens all with a little chuckle at the end. My clients wanted to know because they read about this happening to people on the internet - I'm guessing these boards. Months later I had different clients in a suite on the Dawn - forget what category but not a not a mini - and I get a call from NCL's upgrade desk and my clients upgraded for $900 a person to the Garden Villa!

From my expereince NCL's offices always had different stories everytime you called. I know this is prevelant everywhere, I was a TA for 10 years, but NCL takes the cake for me. I had them screw up cabin assignments, rate codes, upgrade certificates, etc....

I doubt the TA made this up because it has happen to me!

I'm not at all surprised that an NCL Rep would give that bull to your TA.

I heard the exact same thing when I called in to ask for an upsell myself. Unless you are talking to the upsell desk, any other rep has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. I'm sure your TA called and talked with a Rep. assigned to deal with TA's. Not the upsell desk. It's ridiculous how clueless these Reps. can be. It's been this way for years.

Terry, crossed my mind as well. and yet we all know some of the cruise line booking agents are just order takers and really know nothing. We have cruised about 25 times, including 10 or more on NCL, never have we been offered any upsell or upgrade. We just keep waiting. I only have one client that has been offered one.

Nita

Would I be correct in assuming that NCL makes those types of calls to the agencies who do the most business with them first or do they look for the customers who do? I'm just thinking if I were NCL I'd be calling my top accounts first to offer upsells or comps, etc.

That said I work for an airline and didn't use a top account agency and am not a top customer, just some shmuck who is thrilled to be cruising and content with the fact that we'll never be in a suite or better again, not since the Norway left - we got President's suite 2x because there was no balcony or anything but it was a nice HUGE suite and we got an excellent deal. And the 2nd time was my daughter's graduation and she and her friend got V145 aka the red room, it was a great trip.

Terry, crossed my mind as well. and yet we all know some of the cruise line booking agents are just order takers and really know nothing. We have cruised about 25 times, including 10 or more on NCL, never have we been offered any upsell or upgrade. We just keep waiting. I only have one client that has been offered one.

Nita

Over the years I have had a handlful of calls as a TA to upsell clients to suites but I learned, my last year as a TA, you can call that department direct and I noticed on soft sailings (with sluggish bookings) I was able to get some upsells for clients by asking the department! I am sure those on CC have figured this out but I was surprised NCL did this. I even did one for myself on the Dawn. I noticed the sailing wasn't selling and a week before the cruise I called the number (of which I now lost!) and asked and I went from a balcony to a mini suite for $80 per person more. I was very excited. I am cruising on the POA in July and will do the same but I did loose the number. I was going to call the old office I worked for to see if they know it.

Would I be correct in assuming that NCL makes those types of calls to the agencies who do the most business with them first or do they look for the customers who do? I'm just thinking if I were NCL I'd be calling my top accounts first to offer upsells or comps, etc.

That said I work for an airline and didn't use a top account agency and am not a top customer, just some shmuck who is thrilled to be cruising and content with the fact that we'll never be in a suite or better again, not since the Norway left - we got President's suite 2x because there was no balcony or anything but it was a nice HUGE suite and we got an excellent deal. And the 2nd time was my daughter's graduation and she and her friend got V145 aka the red room, it was a great trip.

Nope, has nothing to do with it. When we lived in the DFW area I worked for one of the biggest travel agents in the area, we did a lot of NCL business. In fact I think that might have been our number 1 line to sell. We didn't get anymore or any less upsells and upgrades than anyone else. In fact we rarely got them..I don't think any of us has a clue how it works.

Nita

Nope, has nothing to do with it. When we lived in the DFW area I worked for one of the biggest travel agents in the area, we did a lot of NCL business. In fact I think that might have been our number 1 line to sell. We didn't get anymore or any less upsells and upgrades than anyone else. In fact we rarely got them..I don't think any of us has a clue how it works.

Nita

That's odd, you'd think they'd reward their best agencies. They probably prefer it be a mystery.

Hi all, our TA called NCL approximately a week to ask about a possible He upsell on our upcoming Apr 10th cruise on the Star. There was only an AC left (we are in an aft AE) and they wanted $800 more for us both and when he enquired about the Garden Villa, he was told that they NEVER UPSOLD the Villas, and they never upsold them to anyone who hasn't stayed in one before!!!!!!!!!!! I feel kinda depressed.........the only chance we'd ever have in our lifetime of staying in one of those fancy suites is through an upsell and now we've been told by NCL that this will never happen because we haven't stayed in one before!!!

Has anyone else encountered this? Our poor TA even asked them if he got a discounted rate that he could offer us and they said NO. I guess us lowly canucks weren't worth the offer!!!! Thank god we booked a good cabin to begin with but there was always hope..........

Leah

I'm guessing you paid in the $3,500 range for the room you have now and that the GV is selling for around $18,000...that's quite a difference...

To me, it's a bit of a stretch to consider going from an AE to the GV. As you've contemplated this, what price difference for the upsell did you have have in mind as being the most you would pay?

This is the story we get when we ask that question. It's almost like it's their standard answer. My assumption is that if they tell people they could get an upsell for it, they would never book it.

I have to say that I have never heard them say "unless they have sailed in one before". That's a new one.

Either way, here's hoping you get an upsell to the GV!

Archived