Enjoying beaches in Western Carribean

Jeanne55555

Hi, My family and I are going on FOS 5/2/10 (our first cruise). I see on Royal Caribbeans website that we can book excursions to beaches. I am confused:confused:.

In order to have use of the beaches in Ocho Rios, Cozumel and George Town, do we have to pay for the day (such as to 7 mile beach)? I would really appreciate any advice that you can give me. Thank you so much!

NO! Many beaches are EASY to get to on your own...there's no need for the ship (or a private tour group) to take you to the beach!

Get a guidebook on your ports...it will tell you ALL about every beach in every place....how to get there, what a cab/bus will cost...whether there are restrooms, food/drink, chair rentals....avail....everything you need to know to make the best choice for you!

In Grand Cayman we get off the tender and walk left to the local buses. We then take one to Cemetary Beach which is just past & & Mile beach. Bus is $2.50@. The beach is almost deserted - saw only one towel from our ship. And there are pine trees there so beach has pine needles on it. There is nothing here but the beach. But, you can get off bus at 7 mile beach. If you want to snorkel turn right and go a block ot two to Edan Rock. There is no real beach but they rent snorkel gear and no charge to snorkle.

In Cozumel go to the national park, Chankanaub. It is a cab ride there and they charge to get in but it has all sorts of things there. You can check it out on line.

We got to Money Bar Beach for the snorkeling.

In Ochos Rios there is a beach in front of the shops at the port. They used to charge to use the beach but don't know how much.

In Cozumel, there are many beach clubs and beach resorts to choose from. Rather than book a beach excursion, you can pick your beach yourself and take a taxi there and back. Just Google "cozumel beaches" and you will find all the info you need. Some charge admission, others don't. We went to Paradise Beach in Coz... Free admission as long as you buy food/drink. That includes beach chairs, table, and umbrella. The food and service is great. They have clean restrooms and changing rooms there. If you take you laptop, there is free wifi, although they have computers at the bar to use. The kids will like the big water toys and kayaks ($12 extra each, but worth it). You can also rent waiverunners for about $55 and there are massages available on the beach. Everyone in our family had a great time there. San Fransisco Beach is adjacent to Paradise and also has same amenities. Parasailing is offered at these beaches as well. If you take a taxi into town, there is lots of shopping and good restaurants there.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

I LOVE Paradise Beach in Cozumel! It's about a 15-20 minute taxi ride on a good road. Very nice beach and water, plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas, good and clean restaurants and restrooms, and decent prices for food and drinks - great beach service! I think I paid about $20 each way for the taxi, but I was by myself. 7-Mile beach on Grand Cayman is the best!! (If you can get to GC, as it's a tender port). It's a short taxi/van ride, with no admission fee, although you do have to pay to rent a beach chair. Clean snack bars and restrooms and beach service. Food and drinks are pricey, but good. It's a huge beach with beautiful sand and very calm water. Great for little kids to play there! Ocho Rios does have a beach area right next to the pier - an easy walk. I haven't been there, but I've seen it. There are palm trees and beach chairs. The sand and water looked "OK", but again - I didn't go there, and don't know if there's an admission or beach chair fee. I didn't see many people there. Margaritaville has the "indoor" slide and fresh-water pool, and half of the pool is open and sun-exposed. It was packed! Enjoy your cruise!

Archived