"Taxi Tour" of Barbados?

WICruizers

We will be on RCCL Adventure of the Seas next week and I had booked a tour through the cruiseline but now DD is saying she would rather explore more on our own and be able to spend time at some of the stops that the tour would go to but not be on a "tours" time schedule. We would like to stop at the Highland Adventure Center, see the East coast, the village of Bathsheba, St. John's Church, and Harrison Cave if we have time. Is it possible to hire a taxi driver to get us to all of these places and if so what would be the approximate cost?

Can't help with the approximate cost,

but can assure you that hiring your own taxi to do what you want to do, on your schedule ..is easily possible!

Your most difficult task will be selecting which taxi driver, out of dozens, will be Your Guy for the day.

I would definitely book a private tour with a cab driver, especially since you know where you want to go. We just returned from our cruise and had a private tour booked through Glory Tours. It was a very nice tour but kind of a hassle. When we arrived at the port they asked us for our confirmation e-mail which we never received, since they had never sent it, although they did charge our credit card in full. After being chastised for not bringing our confirmation with us and Sarah making some phone calls, they found that we did have a reservation and our driver came to pick us up. I talked to a couple of cab drivers right outside the gate of the cruise terminal (there are swarms of them). They charge $25 US per hour and will take you wherever you want to go. Next time, I would just hire one of them. Be sure you walk outside the gate of the cruise terminal, you can't miss them.

We did a private taxi tour for our day in Barbados and it worked perfectly for us. I had contacted a few popular tour guides from this site to see what it would cost for a private tour for 2, but they wanted $120 and up starting at 3 hours. So instead we decided to wing it and find a taxi driver when we got there. Like you, we already had in mind what where wanted to go. We negotiated based on the locations rather than time. We went along the south coast, stopping here and there, at the boardwalk etc, past Accra, through St. Lawrence Gap and on to Crane where we wandered around the resort and looked out over the beach. Then we went on to Bottom Bay where we wandered around the beach and up on the rocks. Our driver, Wayne, was great. He was very friendly and informative. Even though we based our tour on specific locations instead of time, he didn't rush us at all and made extra suggested stops. In fact, it was us who didn't want to linger too long every where so we could go and relax on the beach. We just wanted a glimpse of the island to know if we'd go back (YES!!)

We paid $80 for the 2 of us for what turned out to be about 2.5 hours. We asked to be dropped at Accra/Rockley at the end so we could enjoy some beach time. According to the taxi fares, Bridgetown to Bathsheba is $38 BDS, so $38 US return. That's just a direct trip, so when you start going all over the island in tour mode, the $25 per hour mentioned above seems to be a very good deal. There are a LOT of drivers though looking for your business, so no doubt you can strike up a deal. Some may think we paid too much, but we felt it was the best, friendliest, most personal and private tour we have ever had, so it was well worth it.

Do it! Just be sure to work out the exact price and route up front. I would also suggest you don't try to pile too much into your tour that you feel rushed.

We just got back from Barbados on March 28th. We walked out of the ship area and were lucky enough to run into Stephen "Mr. Cox" Clarke. He's a local taxi driver in Barbados who is permitted to drive folks around the island. (Note: Barbados only permits certain cabbies to use the Port area. There's another set for airports and hotels). Anyway, we paid $65 per couple or $130 total for the four of us.

We did a similar tour that took about three hours since the Bathsheba rocks are on one side of the island and the Christ Church Parish Church is on the other side of the island. (Note: It is not easy to get from one side of the island to the other side. Therefore, the driver had to go back near the Cruise port to get to the Christ Church Parish Church).

Here's a brief description of what we got for our money:

- Medford Mahogany Creations - Private tour with the owner / artist Reggie Medford. AWESOME

- Andromeda Gardens - You have to pay the admission fee.

- Drive thru forest

- See the "Black belly" sheep

- Bathsheba Rocks - This was AWESOME!! The beach was beautiful!!

- Christ Church Parish

- The Lion at the Military base

- Drove by the Governor's Mansion

- The Eric Holder, Jr. School

- Several other beaches

There were so many sites and information that I can't remember it all. Anyway, Stephen indicated that I could provide his number and he will work with you. The cell number is 216-233-0560.

Good luck. I LOVED Barbados and can't wait to return again!!

Thanks everyone for the replies! It gives me more to think about. I have contacted Glory Tours about possibly doing a private tour through them but now I am thinking maybe we should just wait until we get there and find a taxi driver to take us around the island.

... but now I am thinking maybe we should just wait until we get there

-and find a taxi driver to take us around the island.

It's not that difficult to arrange

and our taxi drivers have been accommodating folks like you -who want to do their own thing- for years now

-some of the guys have been doing this for decades!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have learned not to book shore excursions with Carnival.

I always find me a taxi driver and tell him what I want and then we talk money.

Yes of course, doing the DIY thing in the Caribbean islands is quite simple really.

There are hundreds of taxi drivers at every port of call, eager for your business.

Most of them are good guys who will give you the whole running commentary along the way

although there are a few sharks in between.

Just like it is in your nearest Big City. :D

• 1 month later...

Archived