Caribbean Princess Mar 28 Listing Incident?

mondows

A friend of mine on the Caribbean Princess March 28 cruise from San Juan tells me there was a fairly serious Listing incident during the cruise.

He says he was walking on deck when the ship started to list. It got worse and worse until pool water poured out of the pools and stuff fell of shelves. People were hanging onto door jambs to stand up. He says the captain called crew to their stations.

After a few minutes, the ship righted itself, but my friend says it was quite frightening.

The captain announced that there had been some steering and/or pod problem that accidentally caused the ship to turn too sharply.

This sounds similar to a number of other Princess incidents, including one reported on this ship last October.

Does anyone have more information?

A friend of mine on the Caribbean Princess March 28 cruise from San Juan tells me there was a fairly serious Listing incident during the cruise.

He says he was walking on deck when the ship started to list. It got worse and worse until pool water poured out of the pools and stuff fell of shelves. People were hanging onto door jambs to stand up. He says the captain called crew to their stations.

After a few minutes, the ship righted itself, but my friend says it was quite frightening.

The captain announced that there had been some steering and/or pod problem that accidentally caused the ship to turn too sharply.

This sounds similar to a number of other Princess incidents, including one reported on this ship last October.

Does anyone have more information?

I know from my friend it was much longer than copuple minutes nad it had nothing to do with sharp turn.i will know more info tonight

Other incidents have been caused by human operator problems when attempting to override the auto pilot system.

Vibe Guy - CP is the Sea Princess, which also has traditional prop/shaft system. CB is Princess' mnemonic for Caribbean Princess.

This is what happens when I write in a precaffeinated state. In any event; CB wouldn't be affected by an azimuthing drive failure.

Princess has had incidents where bridge crew, upon receiving indication of a course problem, have taken actions 100% contrary to those which would resolve the condition. See also the July 2006 Crown incident.

In any event, I'm rather astonished this is the first we're hearing of this...

According to the captain's announcement, it was a failure in the propulsion system that caused the ship to turn and list. Also according to the captain, the list angle was between 6 and 7 degrees to port.

I was in my cabin and could feel the slope. It wasn't more than a normal wheelchair ramp. I seriously doubt that people would have to grab on to door jambs to keep from falling. Nothing in my cabin fell or rolled on the floor. I imagine that water could probably pour out from some of the pools, especially the whirlpools. I heard that some cups fell from cabinets in the upper deck bars.

I got on the balcony and could see the track that the ship left, a long turn to starboard. Lots of the people on the starboard side cabins were also on their balconies. There was no screaming or panic whatsoever.

After a few minutes, the ship seemed to stop or at least reduce her speed considerably. And a few minutes after that, she started moving again at a normal speed.

According to the captain's announcement, the propulsion problem was quickly fixed. We were delayed by about one hour total and stayed in Bonaire one hour later.

There were no other related events that I know of.

I agree with Kempa. I just got home from that boat and it was a minor incident. It was noticeable but it didn't cause people to grab doors, etc. Several of my family members didn't even notice the listing problem. The only people I could see having a problem were the elderly passengers with mobility issues.

This is the third such incident that I know of. Why does this continue to happen?

Besides the Crown Princess years ago which was human error what other incident have you heard of? This one appears to be pretty minor anyway according to the latest posts.

I agree that it was minor. We were in our port side cabin. My husband was on the balcony and he didn't even notice it until I mentioned walking downhill to get from the bathroom to the balcony.

We met the captain during the Ultimate Ship's Tour and he confirmed what Kempa said and no one who was on the tour with us noted any issues.

Believe me, it did not list enough for people to have to hold on to door jams to keep from falling!

The Grand Princess in 2006.

Thank you. Another human error. I do not think 2 incidents 4 years ago begs a question 'why do these continue to happen' since nothing major has happened since then and hopefully that will continue into the foreseeable future.

Ships do move on water and as such there will always be some ship somewhere which has a list which I suppose explains why it continues to happen. :)

Archived