Do you think Royal is worth extra cost over Carnival??

Niquein99

Hello! I posted this on the Royal boards, but figured I would ask on the Family boards as well.

Here's my dilemma - I'd really like to try RCCL's Freedom class of ships. To date, I have only been on RCCL's Jewel of the Seas, for a 6-night sailing. We are already booked on the Carnival Dream for this Fall, and are in the process of planning our Spring Break cruise for April, 2011.

In comparing Royal to Carnival, the cost of an inside cabin on Royal is costing approx. $500 more than an inside cabin on Carnival. (Comparing Freedom of the Seas to the Carnival Valor or Carnival Glory). And that is in RCCL's cheapest inside cabin, a category Q down in the bowels of the ship! :rolleyes:

So basically, for the cost of an inside cabin on Royal, I could get a balcony on Carnival for the same price. My question is to those parents that have cruised with their kids on both Royal and Carnival - would you spend the additional $500 to sail with RCCL on Freedom of the Seas?

I'm a single Mom travelling with my son, who will be 10 when we sail. Since we've already got the Carnival Dream booked for this year, I wanted to try RCCL Freedom for next year. But I'm having a hard time justifying the extra cost to sail on the Freedom of the Seas. Admittedly, since Royal came out with the Freedom class of ships, I've wanted to sail on them. But cost was always a factor. So I said to myself that I'd wait for the cost to start coming down.

The additional $500 to sail on FOS won't break my wallet, I'm just trying to decide whether its worth it or not. Do the amenities of either ship even compare to one another? Does Freedom of the Seas have that much to offer over the Carnival Valor/Glory to warrant an addtional $500 for the same class of cabin? Or is it a situation where you can't even compare the two, because FOS and Carnival are on totally different levels of cruise experience?

Any opinions would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Niquein,

We have done both the Carnival Liberty (March 2009) and RCL's Liberty of the Seas (March 2010). The whole family, 2 adults and 2 boys ages 10,8 then 11 and 9 enjoyed both cruises. However for us the amenties on the RCL ship were well worth the extra money. The boys loved the H2O zone, the flow rider and Labadee. (RCL's private island with Waterpark!) I just asked the kids and they said they definately would rather do RCL again than Carnival.

In addition to that we found the staff on the RCL ship were much more fun, particularly in the kids programs.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

Danielle

HAHAHAHA - I just asked my 10 year old {who is watching TV next to me} and without hesitation she yells "YES!" and then says "Why did you ask me that?" :confused:

She must think I am going to make her pay for the next cruise...LOL. ;)

Yeah there is no doubt in this house -- the ammenities on Freedom class are so over the top. We were RUNNING to get from one event to the next on Freedom and Indy (Freedom's sister ship). Seriously, running.

If you want a ship where you never run out of things to do -- then you want to go on a Freedom class. It was worth it. You won't mind being in an inside because you'll never be in your cabin.

I have to say for a boy you will be happier on Royal Caribbean. We just got back a few weeks ago from Carnival Legend and did one of the smaller Royal Caribbean ships 2 years ago. My 8 year old was sort of bored on the Legend. He missed the rock wall and the RCCL ship we went on had a bungee trampoline, he like Royal Caribbean better. There would be no comparison with a Freedom class!

My kids (1, 5, 8 at the time) loved the Liberty of the Seas! We have been on both and while they like Carnival, they loved the LOS. They are begging us to try the Oasis of the Seas and we will be trying that next year. There are just so many fun things for the kids to get into. It all depends on what you are willing to spend. Personally, I would cut one shore excursion to cover the difference. We enjoyed it that much...best of luck on your decision!

Thanks so much for your replies! It definitely looks like we will be sailing Freedom of the Seas next year, over Carnival. We're giving the Carnival Dream a try in September anyway, so I figured its high time I give the RCCL Freedom class of ships a try. Honestly, I've waited long enough! :rolleyes: My son and I have always wanted to sail the Freedom class, but because of the higher cost, I shy away from it.

And now I just saw an 8-night sailing on the Liberty of the Seas for next year as well! :D Oh my - decisions, decisions! I guess I can forego on a balcony this time to be on the ship I really want to be on.

I think it all depends on you and your kids if you think it is worth it. I have not booked RCCL because I have not found an itinerary that I wanted to do at a price that made it worth doing over Carnival or NCL. Since my kids have no interest in rock climbing walls, surfing machines, ice skating (basically all the items the RCCL offers over CCL or NCL), it is not worth the extra money to me to book them. But if your kids enjoy them and would do the extra activities then it may be worth it to you. I know my kids wouldn't do them so I don't count that to RCCL's advantage when booking a cruise and would weigh the cost more heavily.

You know what?

I dug up the pictures I posted on Facebook aboard the Liberty (not the Independence, as I previously thought) and compared them to the pics I posted on Facebook of our last cruise aboard the Carnival Legend... and I have a LOT more pictures of the ship with RCI than I did with Carnival.

n1507726387_30080993_233.jpg

n1507726387_30080992_1817.jpg

n1507726387_30080988_1059.jpg

n1507726387_30081017_7408.jpg

n1507726387_30080996_1006.jpg

n1507726387_30080994_494.jpg

You know what?

I dug up the pictures I posted on Facebook aboard the Liberty (not the Independence, as I previously thought) and compared them to the pics I posted on Facebook of our last cruise aboard the Carnival Legend... and I have a LOT more pictures of the ship with RCI than I did with Carnival.

n1507726387_30080993_233.jpg

n1507726387_30080992_1817.jpg

n1507726387_30080988_1059.jpg

n1507726387_30081017_7408.jpg

n1507726387_30080996_1006.jpg

n1507726387_30080994_494.jpg

Wow, these are GREAT photos! Definitely a selling point. The ship looks like so much FUN!! I want to go.....(in my best whining voice...! lol). Thanks for sharing.

To be quite honest, $500 bucks is a lot of money to spend to go rock climbing, flow riding, and ice skating. I could do all that stuff at home and STILL have tons of $$ left over!! To each his own I guess :rolleyes:

To be quite honest, $500 bucks is a lot of money to spend to go rock climbing, flow riding, and ice skating. I could do all that stuff at home and STILL have tons of $$ left over!! To each his own I guess :rolleyes:

Its the entire experience. Don't knock it till you try it. I am glad I stepped outside my box and tried other cruise lines because then I wouldn't know that I am happiest on the RCI ships. But how would you know if you've only done one line?

Its the entire experience. Don't knock it till you try it. I am glad I stepped outside my box and tried other cruise lines because then I wouldn't know that I am happiest on the RCI ships. But how would you know if you've only done one line?

As someone who's also done more than one line, and kid's who are old enough to voice an opinion, we are Royal Loyals too. While I can't say if given a choice of non-RCI vs no cruise my kids would stay home, I do know they prefer RCI over Carnival in family vacation discussions. Glory was our last Carnival cruise, and the older two are glad their little sister is out of diapers so they can get back to their favorite, lol.

Those pics are amazing. What ship is that so I can go book our 2011 cruise? ;)

Mack and I were posting pictures from Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas and Independence of the Seas.

By 2011, Independence will be in the Med year round and Liberty will be heading to the Med from April 2011 on.

So you can do Freedom of the Seas in 2011.

OR -- for the added zip line and boardwalk with carousel -- RCI Oasis of the Seas and RCI Allure of the Seas -- (hoping there will be a price drop to fall in line with Freedom class prices).

Mack and I were posting pictures from Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas and Independence of the Seas.

By 2011, Independence will be in the Med year round and Liberty will be heading to the Med from April 2011 on.

So you can do Freedom of the Seas in 2011.

OR -- for the added zip line and boardwalk with carousel -- RCI Oasis of the Seas and RCI Allure of the Seas -- (hoping there will be a price drop to fall in line with Freedom class prices).

Thanks! Allure is one I was already looking into for my graduation cruise in June of 2011 :)

Since this thread has been so helpful maybe someone answer this question. RCI seems to have a lot more extra places to spend money than Carnival. How much more do you think you spend on a RCI cruise?

I've never been on a RCI cruise but would love to take my DH and 3 kids on the Oasis. I know that place like Johnny Rockets cost more, what about like the pizza place and some other restraunts? We will probably skip a family cruise this year and save to do an Oasis next year. Really hope to hear from some of you on this topic.

Since this thread has been so helpful maybe someone answer this question. RCI seems to have a lot more extra places to spend money than Carnival. How much more do you think you spend on a RCI cruise?

I've never been on a RCI cruise but would love to take my DH and 3 kids on the Oasis. I know that place like Johnny Rockets cost more, what about like the pizza place and some other restraunts? We will probably skip a family cruise this year and save to do an Oasis next year. Really hope to hear from some of you on this topic.

The "Pizza Place" -- is free -- included in the price of your cruise. Its called Sorrento's. There is no added charge for Sorrento's (serves Pizza, specialty breads, salads, desserts). There also is no added charge for the Cafe Promenade (the deli -- has sandwiches, subs and things like cookies). And the soft serve ice cream at the H20 zone (its called Sprinkles.

Johnny Rockets charges $4.95 for the meal -- we only tried it once and used a coupon ;)

Ben & Jerry's charges but we just stick with the free soft serve at the H20 zone. We live near a Ben & Jerrys store so it's not a big deal for us to eat Ben & Jerrys ice cream.

There is no added charge for the rock wall climbing, flow rider, ice skating, zip lining, mini golf, things like that.....

The added surcharges comes from the specialty restaurants on Oasis -- frankly, I plan to AVOID those restaurants like the plague when we do Oasis/Allure. :D

My sea pass bill hasn't been any higher on any Royal Caribbean cruise verses any other cruise line. I budget the same way. I tell the kids that they can spend their money on certain things and that's how we spend our money.

Pictures are always MY biggest expense. That's not the cruise line's fault. ;)

Honestly, no. I have traveled both with my kids and Carnival is a better value for your money. They have water slides and a great kids program. I think your 10yr old would have the same amount of fun on either so save your money and go Carnival. We can usually cruise twice on carnival for the price of one RCCL cruise.

Honestly, no. I have traveled both with my kids and Carnival is a better value for your money. They have water slides and a great kids program. I think your 10yr old would have the same amount of fun on either so save your money and go Carnival. We can usually cruise twice on carnival for the price of one RCCL cruise.

What Julien is saying is relatively true.

Although I've vacationed with RCI the most (and they are my prefered line right now), I will say that the kids will like ANYTHING you do.

Our last family trip was aboard the Carnival Legend.

While Carnival is different than RCI in some ways, the kids still found a way to have a good time.

Although, you can stick the kids anywhere in a hotel room away from home, and they'll have a good time.

Heck, this past winter, we drove to the Poconos to go skiing at Camelback... we stayed at a Comfort Inn for one night... my daughter thought we were on some big vacation...

EDIT:

Although, my 11 year old did prefer the RCI Freedom-class to the Carnival Spirit-class

:p

I have done both although never freedom class RCCL. I believe that Carnival is better for younger children and RCCL has more to offer for the school-age/teenage kids. Mine are only 4 and 1 so we will sail Carnival until they are older and then I bet we will switch also.

Archived