How do you budget money for food on ports of call?

nvrdunn

This makes me curious

Do they have Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville in Grand Cayman?

I have been to several, most are nice for a visit, but

sorry phriends..over priced and over rated

Yes they do, here is a picture of the burger...and our mascot Quatchi

DSCF1357.jpg

I usually just intentionally OVER budget. I normally figure about $75-$100 per port for my own family of 4, which includes a few souvenirs, drinks at the beach and some snacks or lunch. Any $$ leftover when we get back from our trip rolls over into our next vacation fund goal. :D The only exception would be Grand Cayman, where prices on everything are jacked up and it literally cost us $65 for lunch last time (at a boring beach restaurant...for 2 hot dogs, 2 drinks, 2 sodas and 2 sandwiches).

I was going to say the same thing. I plan for way more than I know I'll need, but I'd rather have enough just in case and it's always nice to come back with some... :p

We're doing this same itinerary in two weeks on the Valor. If I remember correctly, I "budgeted" $150 for Roatan and Belize, $200 for Cozumel and $350 for Grand Cayman. Mind you, this includes any souvenirs / drinks / etc. we may want to purchase, and we have to pay for a private excursion in GC.

I've done it like this on most cruises and there were a couple times I saw something I wanted to get that I hadn't planned on so it was nice to have the money, and there were a few times that then the money was extra because we didn't use all of it (or even most of it for that matter) but it came in handy later in the trip...

When traveling, one thing I do not like doing is the "chain" type of thing. I want to eat local food.

(unless we are driving down the highway, then the MickyD's Dollar menu works;))

The exception might have been Margaritaville, but after I ate at the

one in Orlando about 3 years ago...I said I was done with it.

So, I looked around the one in Coz and then sat in one of the chairs out on the street watching the sites,

while my wife looked at each and everything in the store.

We went in the MickyD's in Coz, just to see what it was like.

Very clean and nice..then we kept on going in our expedition for Tequila and T-shirts

Sorry here are the details. We are cruising on the Legend in May.

We are hitting Cayman Islands, Rotan, Belize, and Cozumel.

They only one I can comment on is Cayman. We went to Senor Frogs, had 2 soft drinks and the 2 of us each had an entree that at home would have brought our total, including tip, to $25-$30. Imagine our surprise when the check came and it was over $50!!! :eek: And we hadn't tipped yet. Fun place to eat, but def not worth the price.

We have spent very little on food in the ports. We eat a big breakfast and then eat supper. I think over the 3 cruises we have bought 2 diet cokes. But with young children or people with special diet needs you may need to spend some $$. Plus if you aren't as cheap as me there must be some fun places to try. From what I have seen, you can spend as much or as little as you want.

We generally eat very little off the ship. If you take an excursion that starts after breakfast you will probably return while lunch is still being served.

No matter what time you get back, there is always something available to eat somewhere.

Some of the excursions will stop at a restaurant which is generally inexpensive, and optional. Figure about $5 to $7 a person for a nice meal. Of course, we are talking about eating like the locals do, which is really a part of the experience. It would be a shame to eat the same fast food hamburgers you have at home, but you often can find them if you really want to.

Most of the time we just load up at breakfast and it is not too hard to wait until getting back to the ship to eat. You can bring some energy bars from home if you need something to snack on, or you can buy the same things locally. Most of the tours will go by a store somewhere but you can bring something just in case (no fresh food is allowed off the ship, though!)

We ate at Senor Frogs in Grand Cayman (yes I know it's a chain...I'd never been to one though and it was the first restaurant we found after our excursion). It was probably $40 total for our lunch for 2 (no alcohol - just sodas). The food was mediocre at best but oh well.

At Maya Key on Roatan we spent around $18-$20 for lunch. It was really good ceviche and calimari I think. I think we just drank water there that we brought with us...maybe a gatorade too but I can't remember.

we didn't eat in Cozumel...our excursion was long and we didn't have time, plus they gave us some crackers to help absorb the beer :D

In Belize we ate at the golf course and it was just boxed sandwiches. I am not sure how much that was since my husband paid the bill.

Just back from Cozumel, Roatan & Costa Maya. Port of Call Boards will give you suggestions

but agree with other posters about big breakfast on ship and lunch can be appetizers that you share.

Cozumel tried La Candela authentic mexican in downtown area-3 of us shared steak quesadilla, pork taco and order of guacamole as more of an appetizer lunch under $20 total.

Roatan- driver from Victor Bodden stopped at Infinity resort on Tabayana beach- 1 burger, 1 chicken sandwich, 1 appetizer portion of wing pieces 1 coke and 2 frozen drinks was $55 including tip

Costa Maya- Pez Quadro - frozen drinks $5@, Super nachos $7, other menue items more?

why would you eat off the ship when all the food can you eat is included in the price of your cruise? Most excursions we pick include meals, or we take sealed containers (like mini-boxes of cereal and water) off the ship with us. We spend little to no money off the ship for food. Alchohol, now that's a whole other issue...

[quote name='Havingfun2010']I honestly can say, I don't recall eating, except some snacks, off the ship. Have a big, oversized breakfast, and if you can, eat on the ship for free.[/quote]

Uh oh somebody might call you cheap for doing this.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]DH & I always like to enjoy the local food. We plan $100 per port for food, drink & incedentals. If it's a good port for purchases, that amount will change to accomodate the planned purchase.:D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived