Are there any deals anymore?

crisp1

My nephew is looking to take his first cruise this June ( honeymoon) and after checking around is considering the Destiny 6/12. I did a quick search on a couple of web sites ( same prices) and then checked CCL. Their price was just about the same ( does CCL include port tax?). Another thing I noticed was that there seemed to be more available on the other sites as well as guarantees, but not on CCL. Any insight/help?

My nephew is looking to take his first cruise this June ( honeymoon) and after checking around is considering the Destiny 6/12. I did a quick search on a couple of web sites ( same prices) and then checked CCL. Their price was just about the same ( does CCL include port tax?). Another thing I noticed was that there seemed to be more available on the other sites as well as guarantees, but not on CCL. Any insight/help?

You will have to call the agency to get the discounted price. After 1/1/05 agency are no longer allowed to advertise lower prices.

As I understand Carnival's policy, an agency can't advertise (as in a newspaper ad) a price lower than Carnival's. However, a consumer-initiated inquiry (as in an on-line search) would not fall within the restrictions. I booked my cruise in such a manner, and the fare was nowhere near the advertised price.

I think the difficulty lies in the time of year. Mid-June is prime season (honeymoons, kids out of school, etc.) and cruises sell out quickly for top dollar. There are no price incentives necessary, so everyone (Carnival, on-line sites, storefront TA's, etc.) can get what the traffic will bear - in other words, full retail.

The deals are still around, but timing is everything. My May cruise is $300 less than the same category and itinerary in June - supply and demand.

More important, I wish your nephew and his new bride much happiness - and a fabulous honeymoon cruise!

Al

The deals are still around, but timing is everything. My May cruise is $300 less than the same category and itinerary in June - supply and demand.

More important, I wish your nephew and his new bride much happiness - and a fabulous honeymoon cruise!

Al

Thanks Al, We've had to book most of our cruises during 'peak' weeks, but usually found a better deal than CCL could offer. I'm glad he's asked for my input, and I'm trying not to 'help' too much. After all, it is their honeymoon! lol

( does CCL include port tax?).

I book through a Carnival PVP. Each time I ask for a rate, she says "With port charges and tax, that'll be $......."

I've read on this board many times about folks getting a quote from an agency that they're happy with, and later they find that the port charges and taxes have not been included. Always ASK if that rate includes PC&T.

It's nice that you can help your nephew. I recently did the 'homework' for my son for his first cruise. (Sometimes, these younger ones just don't realize how much can be saved by shopping around.);)

You will still need to call the agency or do an actual inquiry, not just a search. They are technically not supposed to have lower pricing advertised, and a "search" brings up "advertised" pricing... try giving them a call or send over an email inquiry and you should get lower pricing. good luck!

Hlsess - If the hosts see references to agencies, they'll pull that thread. We can talk about booking thru Carnival (this is the Carnival board);), but even then we can't mention PVPs names or ext. numbers. Now you know, so stay and play with us.:)

My experience with Carnival's pricing policy was a bit different than that described by GoinCrusin. I did receive lower prices from on-line agencies, since I initiated the inquiry. Incidentally, I looked around for 6/12, and there's only about a $50 spread. As for the PVP's vs. TA's, my agency always quotes out-the-door prices. Port charges are now included in virtually all quotes, although taxes may be added on as the booking procedure continues. In most instances, it's around $50pp. I'm glad your nephew had the foresight to ask questions. If I were him, my concern would be the airfare to San Juan. Even from Tampa, it costs about as much as the cruise itself. Maybe he'll have to open a few more envelopes!

Al

Deals can still be had. I'm a first-time cruiser, but I found an awesome deal ~$150 pp less than Carnival was offering on the Miracle sailing on 9/25. As has been said, you have to call the agencies to get these deals though.

I'm glad your nephew had the foresight to ask questions. If I were him, my concern would be the airfare to San Juan. Even from Tampa, it costs about as much as the cruise itself. Maybe he'll have to open a few more envelopes!

Al

We learned on our Destiny cruise that there were no real bargains for air or hotels. From Jersey a cheap non stop to SJU is around $300 during 'peak' season... November-October LOL!

Remember to shop around for airfare...

We live in Miami so can fly out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale... when we were going to San Juan in Feb 2004 we got an average price of $450 per person from Miami and an average price of $200 per person going out of Ft. Lauderdale... We ended up settling for first class on Spirit Airlines for $350 per person... and always check for fare reductions with airfare too.. even if your tickets are non refundable a lot of airllines will give you a "refund" in the form of a credit certificate for that airline... we ended up getting over $100 back each as credit certificates so we only paid $250 per person to fly first class... can't beat that.. Also remember that usually non refundable tickets are cheaper than refundable ones... its a risk you take but the cost is usually substantially different... on some airlines non refundable just means you cant get cash back but you can change the flight date if some thing happens or get a credit voucher...

The 9/25 sail date is probably the lowest priced of the year, since it's right smack in the middle of hurricane season, and kids have returned to school. Agencies reserve lots of space, and group cruises (although not called such - just a bunch of folks booking through the same TA) are common. The June sailings are among the highest-priced cruises, simply because of the huge demand.

I did check into Spirit from Fort Lauderdale; but even after adding a Southwest flight from Tampa (still cheaper than driving and leaving the car for a week) the price differential is only about $100 - too bad, since I love that southern itinerary. And now that ATA is going in the tank, fares may even be higher. Oh well; I'll just keep looking, and hoping to be in the right place at the right time.

Al

The 9/25 sail date is probably the lowest priced of the year, since it's right smack in the middle of hurricane season, and kids have returned to school.

I figured that out by the fact that 9/25 seemed lower than any date for months aroun dit. :)

I'm nto overly concerned with hurricanes, though after last season i can see why soem would be. Fortunately, as a local I don't have to worry about rearranging flights and hotels if the sailing schedule gets screwed up. Maybe a hurricane will come around right at the end and extend our stay aboard the Miracle. :D

Archived