PV Beach Bar and Malencon

TaterSalad

I would like to see the Malencon just to see the sights (no shopping necessary) and then go to a beach bar. I am thinking of Burros Bar as I have read fun things about it. Is this close to the Malencon? If not, are there any good beach bars around the Malencon? What would the cab ride from the ship to the Malencon be and then from the Malencon to Burros Bar? Thanks!!

Burros Beach Bar is located on the southside which is an extension of the Malecon. Malecon itself has no beach bars but over the small walkover bridge at the end of the Malecon you will see many beach front bars :)

I am directionally challanged so I will provide a link to a great website that has maps showing you PV.

This map shows you the downtown area with the Malecon

http://vallartainfo.com/downtown.html

This map shows you the southside some tourists refer to this area as Romantica Zone but most people do not call it that, it was a name thought up by some Tourist group who thought that tourists would like a nice name for this area:rolleyes:.

http://vallartainfo.com/south.html

Burros Bar is located slightly to the right of Vista Del Sol.

taxi rate to the Malecon is 80 pesos a cab ride from Southside is about 130 pesos......the taxis rates are set by the zones and when you cross over the bridges to the southside it becomes another zone. We don't use the white govenrment taxis at the cruise dock but walk to the road and hail a yellow taxi, the rates are cheaper. You will be in a yellow taxi for the ride home.

Explore the website that I linked you too....It sure helped us years ago when we started visting PV.

http://vallartainfo.com/puerto-vallarta-transport.html

I would like to see the Malencon just to see the sights (no shopping necessary) and then go to a beach bar. I am thinking of Burros Bar as I have read fun things about it. Is this close to the Malencon? If not, are there any good beach bars around the Malencon? What would the cab ride from the ship to the Malencon be and then from the Malencon to Burros Bar? Thanks!!

Take the blue and white bus from the stoplight on the main road just outside the cruise ship terminal for about a dollar for two people. Get off after he makes a left turn off the main road at the beginning of the malecon. Walk the malecon to see the statues and sculptures and stay on it across the river. You will start seeing the beach restaurants and bars a couple of blocks past the river. To get back to the ship, go away from the ocean a couple of blocks and you will see buses going back toward the ship. Look for a blue and white bus that has Wal-Mart or Sams on the window.

When I get to the main road, do I catch the bus on the same side of the road to go to the Malecon or the opposite side, where the WalMart is?

Stay on the same side of the road that the ship is on.

Coming back, you can get off in front of a clinic just before you get to the stoplight before Wal-Mart, or you can stay on the bus to the Wal-Mart parking lot. One exception --- If the bus has Pitillal on the window, it will turn right at the light and take you a block or two up the street going to Pitillal before it stops again. Pitillal is not a bad little town to look over if you have time to go there. It is about three miles up the road that goes alongside Sams Club.

Stay on the same side of the road that the ship is on.

Coming back, you can get off in front of a clinic just before you get to the stoplight before Wal-Mart, or you can stay on the bus to the Wal-Mart parking lot. One exception --- If the bus has Pitillal on the window, it will turn right at the light and take you a block or two up the street going to Pitillal before it stops again. Pitillal is not a bad little town to look over if you have time to go there. It is about three miles up the road that goes alongside Sams Club.

Perfect!

Thanks a bunch:)

Burrito Bar is a great choice. 2 breakfasts, 1 bucket 'o Pacifico, cuppa cafe' for Wifey, and tip for about 1300 pesos. Their conversion rate was pretty decent. Sat right on the beach under an umbrella. Only 2 vendors came by... no bother. Took a taxi to the malecon, walked about 5 minutes south to the bar, 10 bucks I think. Rode the bus back to Wally's, if memory serves, 50 pesos for 2. Definately an "E"- ticket ride! This was Oct, 2009.

Burrito Bar is a great choice. 2 breakfasts, 1 bucket 'o Pacifico, cuppa cafe' for Wifey, and tip for about 1300 pesos. Their conversion rate was pretty decent. Sat right on the beach under an umbrella. Only 2 vendors came by... no bother. Took a taxi to the malecon, walked about 5 minutes south to the bar, 10 bucks I think. Rode the bus back to Wally's, if memory serves, 50 pesos for 2. Definately an "E"- ticket ride! This was Oct, 2009.

The bus fares are now six and a half pesos per person, which comes to a little over a dollar for two people. They don't like US coins, so if you gather up some pesos downtown, it should cost thirteen pesos for two people on the blue and white bus.

If you are going to Mazatlan, you can use the bus for about the same price. They will stop just outside the terminal and you look for one that has Centro on the window if you want to go to the Central Market and Cathedral. You can step out and hold up your hand when you see a bus coming and they will stop for you.

• 8 months later...
Take the blue and white bus from the stoplight on the main road just outside the cruise ship terminal for about a dollar for two people. Get off after he makes a left turn off the main road at the beginning of the malecon. Walk the malecon to see the statues and sculptures and stay on it across the river. You will start seeing the beach restaurants and bars a couple of blocks past the river. To get back to the ship, go away from the ocean a couple of blocks and you will see buses going back toward the ship. Look for a blue and white bus that has Wal-Mart or Sams on the window.

If we get off the bus at the spot recommended above, how far of a walk is it along the Malencon to the beach bars in the southern/romantic zone?

If we do not want to take in the sites along the Malencon (have been to PV before), can we continue on the bus and get off at a different spot for the southern zone?

Thanks.

Last year if you go into the Tanzanite International Jewelry shop there at the port, you could get coupon for a free van ride to the Malecon. It just stops at the Diamonds International at the North End. Not a bad deal if you want to save a few bucks. A few years ago we did that and my wife ended up with a $900 ring but at least I saved some on the cab fare.:D

If we get off the bus at the spot recommended above, how far of a walk is it along the Malencon to the beach bars in the southern/romantic zone?

If we do not want to take in the sites along the Malencon (have been to PV before), can we continue on the bus and get off at a different spot for the southern zone?

Thanks.

Yes, get off one of the Centro buses 2-3 stops after crossing the bridge over Rio Cuale. Just a short walk to the beaches.

If you go off earlier, get to the Malecon and continue to walk, you will get there.

Depending where you get off it can be a walk of 5-15 minutes.

Last year if you go into the Tanzanite International Jewelry shop there at the port, you could get coupon for a free van ride to the Malecon. It just stops at the Diamonds International at the North End. Not a bad deal if you want to save a few bucks. A few years ago we did that and my wife ended up with a $900 ring but at least I saved some on the cab fare.:D

Do you have to buy anything to get the free ride? This sounds like a great idea.

I also found out the last time I was there, that if you're walking back to the ship, and you're thirsty, it's a good place to stop for a free bottle of water!

Archived