Canadian Dollar Reaches Parity with U.S. Dollar Today

I've booked in USD ( well in advance twice now ). I liked being able to 'choose' when to pay it off. When the exchange rate is favorable I have paid it down. I just paid off my July cruise this week, I had booked it a few months ago, but trusted the predictions that the Canadian Dollar would be close to par this summer.

The problem in my mind with paying it off before it's due is that you can't cancel it. Usually once I've booked, I'm committed but I've changed my cruises this year. I don't want to be hemmed into something that I can't get out of. I always but insurance.....but that doesn't cover me changing my mind.

I just booked a cruise in USD today, which was 20% less than what HAL is showing on the website for Cdn $.

If one compares base pricing from here: http://media.hollandamerica.com/flash/ta_all_usd.htm to here: http://media.hollandamerica.com/flash/ta_all_cad.htm, HAL's 20% mark-up is still clearly in effect. (No magic to selecting those prices other than it is a rate sheet that shows a lot of cruises and a lot of categories all at once.)

Deposit for payment may be accepted with a 5% premium / exchange rate (eg paying in CAD on a USD cruise balance), however the base prices still reflect a 20% spread, subject to a little rounding to get to a nice XX99$ price for display. Lesson learned is that revenue / yield management for different markets should not be confused for exchange rate. :-)

Scott.

Looks like 20% is SOP for HAL. Too bad they feel the need to do that. Thank you both for the info.

We come to Canada every summer for at least two cruises and sometimes more. Taxes in Montreal/Quebec are awful. Does not encourage foreign shoppers by any stretch. Unless it is something I have not been able to find at home or is very, very special, we do little shopping. Too bad, as we don't have to fly home at the end of our cruise so have no limits on weight/bulk. The taxes keep our credit card in our pocket.

Sail, my Michigan friends are willing to pay the tax on a few items. However, none may interest you. Three quick examples:

* imported dark chocolate (can be as high as 85% cacao) - more bittersweet is sold here than in the U.S., containing less sugar.

* tea - some store brands, like President's Choice, are as good as premium U.S. brand names

* high quality British woolens. Friend just bought a Scottish tartan mohair throw for C$250 and considered it a steal.

Is it better to use US cash when setting up an on board expense account or a Canadian credit card? Not sure exactly how that all works, I'd hate to be charged a bunch of foreign currency fees on my VISA.

Sail, my Michigan friends are willing to pay the tax on a few items. However, none may interest you. Three quick examples:

* imported dark chocolate (can be as high as 85% cacao) - more bittersweet is sold here than in the U.S., containing less sugar.

* tea (some store brands, like President's Choice, are as good as premium U.S. brand names)

* high quality British woolens. Friend just bought a Scottish tartan mohair throw for C$250 and considered it a steal.

NOW you've caught my interest. :)

I'm not a tea drinker and can buy some good low sugar, high cacao content chocolate (80%) in a local shop ......

BUT when you talk about fine British woolens, now you have my attention. I try every summer to find fine sweaters in Canada and am willing to pay rather freely if they are wonderful. I adore lovely woolens and cashmeres. And, I'll happily pay the tax. :)

In Charlottetown, we found a handknit shop where I purchased a lovely throw for my best friend who was so supportive helping me through a very serious surgery. We wanted to find something for her while on those cruises and I looked and looked until we came upon this beautiful shop and they had just put out this throw for sale. She loves it and I was happy to pay the rather considerable cost + tax. :)

Any suggestions where I can shop for great woolens would be very appreciated.

Our ports are Sydney, Charlottetown (PEI), Halifax, Montreal and Quebec City.

I've actually asked on this board for recommendations in the past and never got much of a response.

Is it better to use US cash when setting up an on board expense account or a Canadian credit card? Not sure exactly how that all works, I'd hate to be charged a bunch of foreign currency fees on my VISA.

It depends on your VISA®'s forex fees -- versus the 'cash rate' your bank will charge you to withdraw US cash. TD CanadaTrust's US cash buy / sell rate as of this 10h45 this am was buy $1.0259 sell $0.9789, roughly a 2.5% spread above / below the floating Bank of Canada exchange rate that gets reported http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/digest.html. You have to weigh off with the inconvenience / risk of carrying that cash and/or travellers' cheques purchase commissions (if any) in lieu of using cash. I have borderless service with TDCT which includes US-denominated chequing account and a TD-issued USD VISA. All of the major banks offer similar products.

Scott.

NOW you've caught my interest. :)

I'm not a tea drinker and can buy some good low sugar, high cacao content chocolate (80%) in a local shop ......

BUT when you talk about fine British woolens, now you have my attention. I try every summer to find fine sweaters in Canada and am willing to pay rather freely if they are wonderful. I adore lovely woolens and cashmeres. And, I'll happily pay the tax. :)

In Charlottetown, we found a hand knit shop where I purchased a lovely throw for my best friend who was so supportive helping me through a very serious surgery. We wanted to find something for her while on those cruises and I looked and looked until we came upon this beautiful shop and they had just put out this throw for sale. She loves it and I was happy to pay the rather considerable cost + tax. :)

Any suggestions where I can shop for great woolens would be very appreciated.

Our ports are Sydney, Charlottetown (PEI), Halifax, Montreal and Quebec City.

I've actually asked on this board for recommendations in the past and never got much of a response.

Sail...I visit Halifax every year just to shop both for jewellery, and sweaters and such..Go to Barrington Mall, there is a lovely Scottish shop there the Plaid Place...lovely things. I could spend a day in Barrington/Historic Properties...Fire works gallery for jewellery you won't be disappointed..

Halifax is easy to get around just wear your walking shoes as it is very hilly. While your there do stop in the Split Crow Pub...in the Historic Properties area...this is all an easy walk from the ship..

I've always wanted to do that cruise, but always end up flying in..would be lovely to cruise in for a change..

I think it is smart to buy US $ when it is low .Put away in safe place .Use as needed So when you travel 1$ =1$ i don't wrack my brain with exchange

My first cruise 1 US$ =1.55 CDN ...OUCH!!!

I just bought some @ 2 percent

I will buy more when it is at par or better

Sail...I visit Halifax every year just to shop both for jewellery, and sweaters and such..Go to Barrington Mall, there is a lovely Scottish shop there the Plaid Place...lovely things. I could spend a day in Barrington/Historic Properties...Fire works gallery for jewellery you won't be disappointed..

Halifax is easy to get around just wear your walking shoes as it is very hilly. While your there do stop in the Split Crow Pub...in the Historic Properties area...this is all an easy walk from the ship..

I've always wanted to do that cruise, but always end up flying in..would be lovely to cruise in for a change..

Cruisin Suzin...... THANK you for the recommendation. We will definitely be making a visit to Plaid Place during our stops in Halifax this summer.

We love walking all the way down the boardwalk and then getting lobster lunch. :) We'll head to Barrington Mall. I just googled Split Crow Pub and it looks like a fun place. Wish I could indulge in some of their delicious sounding choices. Sounds sooo good.

Thanks.

Cruisin Suzin...... THANK you for the recommendation. We will definitely be making a visit to Plaid Place during our stops in Halifax this summer.

We love walking all the way down the boardwalk and then getting lobster lunch. :) We'll head to Barrington Mall. I just googled Split Crow Pub and it looks like a fun place. Wish I could indulge in some of their delicious sounding choices. Sounds sooo good.

Thanks.

Your quite welcome, another must see is Salty's for that lobster, or for more elegant fare try O'Carrolls here is a write up on it..my favorite place of all..there is an elegant side and a pub side..Look at the Dublin Lawyer Lobster..yummy...

It seems so plain-jane predictable to order lobster while dinning in a Halifax restaurant. However, this is no regular lobster, and it’s no regular restaurant either. This meal actually turned a good vegetarian friend of mine into a meat eater.

From the outside O’Carroll’s appears quite normal – A historic brick building close to the harbour. On the inside it is split into two. On the right there is a small bar with a great collection of scotch and a stage that seems to have live music every time I visit. On the left side there is a candlelit dinning room with white linens. It’s surprisingly nice sitting down to dinner with local folk music playing in the background. As for service, Vince is a gracious waiter/host/bartender who seems to remember you, even if it’s been a year since your last visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry folks, :o I need to break in as I see several Canadians on this thread. I am soliciting responses to this thread link regarding Travel insurance for us Canadians. Hopefully someone has more experience with American insurance companies than I have and might be able to comment. Thanks.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1184340 Sorry to divert from the purpose of this thread.

Many Credit CaRDS OFFER INSURANCE WHEN YOU PURCHASE THEIR card .I have a Desjardins Visa Odyssey card which I do pay HOWEVER I get Free medical,cancellation,interruption ,baggage etc etc etc for me and my family

I did need to cancel .They refunded me completely .As long as you book with the card you are insured ..under 2500$ per person and less then 3 weeks

Other cards do the same my TD Visa was free but it covers 1 week trips BMO also offers one Each card is different

Both cards offer points which can be redeemed for stuff It once paid for a trip.

I book EVERY trip on this card It pays itself on the first trip .Insurance for a family is VERY expensive esp CANCELLATION ...Here it is included

My friend bought it because of me ..her hubby got sick on the ship .The insurance paid it all back ...not cheap

Bon Voyage

Michele

Many Credit CaRDS OFFER INSURANCE WHEN YOU PURCHASE THEIR card ....Here it is included

My friend bought it because of me ..her hubby got sick on the ship .The insurance paid it all back ...not cheap

Michele: Thanks. Yes this is true for Candian insurers. I also have a Gold MC with the travel insurance you mention. However they all have pre-existing condition exclusions that are very restrictive and therefore exclude any condition that comes up within the stability period. Typicaly 90 days but in some cases ( credit cards ) the period is 180 days . This includes a change in medication for things like Blood pressure, seizures, anti-biotics, etc that have been stable for long periods of time but the DR thinks an adjustment is required in either direction including stopping the medication. Bingo, no coverage for those conditions even if you are fit to travel. Some American insurers have a waiver that if you purchase the insurance at the time you make your final payment, all the pre-Existing condition exclusions go away. I posted a seperate thread on this for Canadians to try and get their feedback. Nothing so far which could mean a lot of things including no Canadians use the American policies. still wondering.

Thanks

[quote name='Cruisin Suzin']Sail...I visit Halifax every year just to shop both for jewellery, and sweaters and such..Go to Barrington Mall, there is a lovely Scottish shop there the Plaid Place...lovely things. [/QUOTE]

I'm so glad that you mentioned the Plaid Place. We stubbled upon it on a visit to Halifax a few years ago and were charmed and captivated by all of the tartans, little kid outfits, sweaters, and well, all of that plaid. I bought a nice warm hat. Plaid.:p

On a couple of other cruises I've kept an eye out for it while exploring Halifax but didn't quite find it. When we come back, I'll know where to look.

Archived