Seasickness

ducky0501

I will be a first time cruiser (in May) and I am concerned about seasickness. I would like to avoid medicine that interacts poorly with alcohol if at all possible. I plan on purchasing the acupressure bracelets. I do not care for the taste of ginger (but I guess it would be better than being sick). Does anyone have any other non-drug recommendations? Thank you.

Do you suffer motion sickness on land? (Cars, amusement rides, etc??) If not, you probably won't have to worry much.

Bonine is a popular OTC and works well...there's a non-drowsy formula and I KNOW folks drink while taking it!

Ginger can be had in tablet form, so there's no taste, if you prefer that....

The only motion sickness I have had was driving in a mountain region of Tennessee in September.

I'm pretty much a stickler when it comes to mixing drugs and alcohol. I'd really prefer not to tempt it. I will look into ginger tablets. Any preferred brand?

Hi ducky

I've only been really badly seasick for only part of a day twice. One was sailing out of the med in the middle of winter and the seas were really really rough - unusually so. Another time was when a gale blew up crossing the Atlantic. Depends where you are cruising, but if you are not usually prone to motion sickness, then unless you get extremely rough weather, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. However if you are unlucky and get really rough seas, it is not going to be for the entire cruise and trust me whether you can still drink alchol will be the least of your problems - you'll be on still water and salt crackers!

I've tried the bands the first time we had really rough sea, but they didn't seem to work for me. getting myslef to a much lower deck middship and not moving around too much seemed to work best. (Shame it was gala night and I could not eat anything at dinner). On the other occasion i was very sick, but got the medical staff to give me an injection - it works a treat within about 15 minutes. Again, that would be worse case scenario. Most of my cruises have been smooth sailing and I'm sure yours will be too.

I will be a first time cruiser (in May) and I am concerned about seasickness. I would like to avoid medicine that interacts poorly with alcohol if at all possible. I plan on purchasing the acupressure bracelets. I do not care for the taste of ginger (but I guess it would be better than being sick). Does anyone have any other non-drug recommendations? Thank you.

First of all, relax, think positive and don't anticipate you'll get seasick. Sometimes, the fear of the unknown does strange things to us. If motion isn't a problem for you in a car, bus, or airplane, it likely won't be a problem on a ship either.

My suggestions would be - Keep food in your tummy - it helps a lot. And if you really think the motion is going to bother you, take something about 1/2 hour BEFORE you sail. I've only been bothered twice in several druises, and having some saltines and sleeping it off worked for me.

There is a homeopathic remedy called Motion Sickness - Natural Relief for Nausea and Dizziness Due to Motion, Car Sickness or Sea Sickness (50 tablets per box). I've seen it in Whole Foods and stores that have a "natural" section. I haven't needed it so can't report on how it does. I have taken Dramamine in the past and just about slept through the trip. Bonine is supposed be less drowsy remedy - but I just checked the box and it said "avoid alcholic drinks." The pressure bands work well. You said you don't like ginger, but crystalized ginger works for me - I'm wondering of GingerAle or Gingersnaps would also. I know there are ginger capsules. I've tried the patches (need prescription, or used to anyway) and the side effects are dry mouth and dialated pupils to the extent I couldn't see the time on my watch - blurry.

Smooth sailing! And think positive!! :)

Ginger tabs can be purchased at walmart or drugstores...any brand really is fine....just start taking at least a day or two before you cruise then daily with your meals and more if needed-like for tendering or shore excursions that involve smaller boats....

we take 2 capsules every meal more if needed thru out the day...i dont drink but hubby does or others we have cruised with who take and no side effects or anything...also you can drink ginger ale thru out the day....if you dont want to pay for it you can carry-on your own.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone...

419annm - I am definately the type that anticipation would get to...

I have bought:

Motion Eaze All-Natural Motion Sickness Relief (The oil behind the ear type)

Sailors Secret Motion Sickness Prevention Ginger Pills

and

Sea-Band The Original Wristband

I like to be extra-prepared... Hopefully those will work for me... :-)

Where are you cruising?

For the Caribbean and Mediteranean, you probably won't need anything. If you are in the Atlantic or Pacific, you will. Antivert works great and does not affect me in any way. If you are going to Alaska - well, the 3 times We've gone, the first 2 days were like a roller coaster. We used Transderm Scop - and were among about 20 passengers who were not sick - we got lots of special attention! In fact one time, going up was so bad, half the dining room staff was out sick - but then hardly any passengers were in the dining room either - all too seasick! LOL! Meanwhile, we were having the time of our lives watching people pull themselves along corridors using the handrails and groups of people walking at angles as the ship rose and fell with the waves and best of all, the water shooting out of the pool 20 feet in the air like geyser! The bar at the front of the ship was fun with panoramic windows that looked straight down into the water as we rode down a wave and then we'd go up a wave and see sky and then down again! The waiters were struggling to carry drinks to us. The performers had to give up and just hung out with the few of us who came to the show. It was a wild and crazy experience and we loved every minute of it - but we wouldn't have had it not been for the Transderm Scops!

I don't get motion sickness from cars/autos. But I don't like the feeling of dropping on roller coaster rides. I am going to ask my doctor for the patch - I know I got one the first time I flew but now I never use them flying. I know I do have stomach problems (I can't vomit) so it worries me a little if I do get seasick. I plan on taking other remedies like bonine and ginger tablets/saltine crackers and always eat. This was the one thing that has scared me from cruising but in one year I'm going to conquer it and go on a cruise from Galveston to Cozumel.

Archived