SD Library question

As the cruise comes closer, I was wondering about the Library,is it stocked with new books or just left overs from previous cruisers...also, does it have many non fiction books?I love biography,travel,memoirs etc,while hubby likes mystery...hate to drag a bag of books if I can avoid it,but need quite a few to last on bali beds during down time....:D

Whether the library is adequate for you depends upon your reading patterns. I, like your husband, read mysteries. For my favorite authors, at least, I generally buy them as soon as they come out; so no, the SD library is not current enough for me. But DH, who reads mostly non-fiction, thinks it is just fine.

The "bag of books" issue had become one of contention for us. I have been known to take 10 to 15 books with me (I stick to paperbacks for travel), and during the packing process DH would become more and more agitated. Finally he took a stand and insisted that I buy a Kindle. I did this reluctantly, confident that I would not like the Kindle, but would use it only for travel. Well, long story short, I love it. Before we went on our SD Caribbean cruise for New Year's, I downloaded 20 books - it was wonderful. No, I didn't actually read 20 books in the week, but I did have choices of what I wanted to read. Just something for you to consider.

Whether the library is adequate for you depends upon your reading patterns. I, like your husband, read mysteries. For my favorite authors, at least, I generally buy them as soon as they come out; so no, the SD library is not current enough for me. But DH, who reads mostly non-fiction, thinks it is just fine.

The "bag of books" issue had become one of contention for us. I have been known to take 10 to 15 books with me (I stick to paperbacks for travel), and during the packing process DH would become more and more agitated. Finally he took a stand and insisted that I buy a Kindle. I did this reluctantly, confident that I would not like the Kindle, but would use it only for travel. Well, long story short, I love it. Before we went on our SD Caribbean cruise for New Year's, I downloaded 20 books - it was wonderful. No, I didn't actually read 20 books in the week, but I did have choices of what I wanted to read. Just something for you to consider.

I have to agree that a Kindle or one of the similar devices is the way to go for travel. I know it is not the same as a book, but it is pretty good, and if you are concerned about getting it wet at the poll, a large zip lock bag works great or you can take a couple of "real books" along for that.

if you are concerned about getting it wet at the poll, a large zip lock bag works great or you can take a couple of "real books" along for that.

Amazon sells a waterproof "sleeve" which fits the Kindle. It is made of some kind of rubber and is tight fitting - you have to take the Kindle out of it's regular case - and it has a clear plastic window in the screen area. It is easy to access the buttons to turn the page, but you really can't do much else while the cover is on. I took it on our last cruise and used it at the pool.

Amazon sells a waterproof "sleeve" which fits the Kindle. It is made of some kind of rubber and is tight fitting - you have to take the Kindle out of it's regular case - and it has a clear plastic window in the screen area. It is easy to access the buttons to turn the page, but you really can't do much else while the cover is on. I took it on our last cruise and used it at the pool.

Thanks for the heads up!

Another alternative--the iPad. I'm thinking of getting one for my SD trip next year, mainly to use it as a book-reader, but also to load some tv shows and videos. Hopefully, by then the bugs will have been worked out and price will be down.

The Kindle won t work because both my hubby and I would fight over it,plus I m a real Library nut and like REAL books,hahaha.........so will either get paperbacks from Amazon ,then just leave them onboard when we leave ship....or find some books in ships Library....got out my ship brochure and looks like a good size for the 8 days I ll be onboard...plus, will TRY to enjoy the ports we visit too....the books will only be for downtime...plus have to read my guidebooks too....such problems to consider,right?????:D

I'm a paper person, thought I needed the real books too but I LOVE my Kindle. I was so bad with books that my DH tried to make a rule that if a new book came into the house an old one had to leave - not an issue anymore! Its also great for the classics- many of which are free or close to it. You can always have a wide variety of reading choices on hand.

Or easier yet, if you have an iphone, get the kindle app. The app is free!! Easy to get used to and you can do most things you do on the regular kindle-book mark, change font size etc.

Does it really work for you to read a novel on that little screen?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived