Just back from Viking Legend

Xoe

I'll be posting a cruise review a bit later when I've sorted through my photos. This is just a preview report (a very positive "WOW!" of approval) on my wonderful experience on Viking Legend's Tulips & Windmills.

The ship is wonderful, very comfortable and nicely appointed. Crew all upbeat and dedicated to making sure the travelers have a fine time. Dining experiences very good, both in terms of the food itself and the presentation and service. Wine was included with dinner for all passengers. Because my husband dislikes flying, I was traveling solo and enjoyed one of Legend's single cabins (337, next the the library on Deck 3), which is well designed and appointed, very comfortable, and a good value price-wise without the single supplement which creates high costs for solo travelers.

The itinerary was fast-paced and interesting. All excursions, both the included and optional, were worthwhile and well-organized with good local guides. The earpieces and transmitters assured that you could hear your guide, even when separated by quite some distance.

On-board presentations that enhanced the travel experience included a presentation on making wooden shoes, an excellent explanation of the role and importance of windmills, information about the European Union, and a wonderful program of folkloric dance one evening -- all very special.

True, it was a bit early for the tulip bloom at Keukenhof this year -- but weather is weather, and the indoor displays were magnificent. Some outdoor tulip fields were starting to bloom also, as well as daffodils, hyacinth, and narcissus.

As well as Keukenhof, trip highlights included Kinderdijk, the Delta Project, and the Kroller-Muller Museum (a very worthwhile optional excursion) -- truly, every day had its highlights and special moments.

I did not find the docking locations in Amsterdam to be a problem. We started at the most distant location for river ships, about a 20 minute walk from Centraal Station, and on our return to Amsterdam on April 4 we docked between the big cruise ship terminal and Centraal Station, about a 5 minute walk to Centraal. Once at the train station, all is walkable or easily accessible by tram, and taxis are also an option. Anne Frank House is indeed worthwhile, and buying your ticket on-line is very helpful.

After reading a lot of criticism of Viking Legend ahead of my trip, I am happy to report that for me, it was a marvelous travel experience in all respects. I would happily sail on Legend again -- and hope to do so in spring of 2011.

Xoe

Wonderful news!

As a responder to some of your earlier posts I was anticipating your return and impressions. I also know that there were critics who, at times, must have created some doubts in your mind.

This was our second favourite river cruise and we're glad you enjoyed it so much. We'd love to go back for a longer visit to Hoorn.

What will be your next cruise?

We are traveling on the Legend, the Grand European itinerary in July. I would like to know when you are notified of the optional programs/excursions and the cost.

I'm also glad to hear all the"kinks" are worked out and you had a wonderful trip.

janines

to both No Fuss Travel and Nordski for your helpful posts in the past several months. Your information was most helpful!

Information and cost of optional excursions came in a booklet that arrived with the cruise documents, and more details were provided once on board. The North Holland tour the afternoon of our day at Hoorn cost 44 euros, and was delightful. At Arnhem, the optional afternoon at Kroller-Muller Museum was 54 euros, which as well as being a wonderful "user-friendly" museum, is even more worthwhile because of its setting in a huge nature reserve and gives you a chance to see the hilly country in the eastern part of the country -- very beautiful. Another lovely choice would be to go to the Netherlands' Open-Air Museum, which sounded fine but did not open for the season until April 1 (we were there on March 30). I had signed up for the extension to Delft after our morning at Keukenhof, but realized that I needed a more relaxed day due to being in process of (successfully) fighting off a cold. Those who went to Delft enjoyed it -- cost was 39 euros. I instead enjoyed a final last afternoon in Amsterdam.

The down side of choosing the optional excursions is that there is very little time to explore further the ports from which these excursions take place, thus, not much chance to snoop around Hoorn or Arnhem on your own. Also it results in a very active schedule. I would not have wanted to miss ANYTHING I did, but could wish for a revisit of some places to just wander on my own.

I am considering Legend's Budapest to Nuremberg itinerary for April 2011 -- again in one of the lovely single cabins; that would be my next river cruise. Between now and then, two other plans: my husband and I are proceeding with plans to fly R/T Boston (not too far for even a reluctant flier!) this summer for Holland America's Maasdam's five-week R/T cruise that includes Newfoundland, Iceland, Greenland, UK, Norway, Copenhagen, and -- ta-da!!! -- 2 days in Amsterdam. As well, next fall I'm planning a Mediterranean cruise with a friend with 2 days each in Israel and Egypt, as well as visits to Ephesus, Athens, and Naples. So, this is a big travel year for me -- now we'll hope it all can happen.

Dear Xoe,

I am booked on Legend's Amsterdam to Budapest May 30 cruise.... :)

Right now, I am addressing luggage/packing concerns. I know from experience that LESS IS MORE, and hope to avoid checking suitcases on the trip over.... That is proving to be a real challenge with suitcase sizes being so irregular and airlines being so inconsistent. Any insights? Suggestions? Observations?

Thanks,

Tee

I shall send happy thoughts your way as you prepare for a grand trip!

I took my usual luggage for a trip of this length: a day pack that serves as my purse when traveling, a small wheeled carry-on that can piggy-back on my check-through suitcase, and my mid-sized wheeled check-through suitcase (next size up from a maximum size carry-on). I had no trouble working within that much capacity, even though, as usual, my shoes were space- and weight-hogs. (I am very tall and wear size 12 shoes . . . sigh . . . ) Having no need for formal attire makes packing so much easier! I took 3 pair of slacks, 1 travel skirt (a Macabi, very versatile), several tops, a jacket for all needs including rain, a travel umbrella, gloves -- nothing unusual, and yet everything seemed to work just fine. Your weather will be warmer which should make it easier.

I never considered not taking a check-through bag for this trip. An advantage of cruise travel is not needing to schlep bags except at the beginning and the end, and thus no reason to travel super-light. Many (perhaps a majority of) passengers had a check-through bag of the next size up from mine, and another time I might do that, too. The commonly used larger size's longest dimension is 28"; the bag I took was about 24". Anything larger than 28" might challenge the current per-bag weight limits, I should think.

Have fun planning and anticipating!

Dear Xoe,

Appreciate all information, especially from a woman who dares to travel in a way similar to my own--without husband. Your email confirmed much of what I had concluded regarding packing and luggage. Thanks! Happy to have the reminder that I (mostly) will not have to schlep my own bags!

Do northern Europeans still only travel with black luggage, as one veteran traveler said in a blog? I have not been to Europe since 2005, but found that difficult to believe what with all the colors EVERYWHERE in stores, decor, clothing, etc. Maybe I have just been doing too many ocean cruises!

Any special ideas for dealing with the long flights from the West Coast? Which airline? Will you repeat same arrangements for LEGEND 2011 cruise? (Just received my catalog today and am looking at same trip!)

Anything you want to share...do's and don'ts...best/worst experiences....

Happy to hear about it! Most of us learn from our own mistakes, but it's easier to learn from others' :)

Tee

I was surprised at the preponderance of BLACK BAGS coming onto the luggage carousels both at Schiphol and SeaTac on my return. Don't know that it was a comment on European travelers however as my flights were long-haul; I had nonstops between Seattle and Amsterdam. My bags are green, so not hard to identify. A couple days ago I bought a 28" rust-colored bag for my husband to use on our long cruise this summer ($49 at Ross). If I were traveling with black bags, I would spray-paint designs on them or use fuchsia straps, or something similar.

I booked my own air because there is only one airline flying nonstops SEA-AMS, and I wanted it. I was comfortable doing this because I had been to Amsterdam once before, briefly. I went a day early and stayed in a small well-designed single room at Bellevue Hotel just a block from Centraal Station (reserved on EasyToBook for 69 Euros). Perfect location -- I towed my bags walking from the hotel to the ship on Saturday March 27. My return flight left AMS at 10:15 on April 5 so I used the Viking transfer bus to make that morning simpler. Worked fine. Other travelers went by cab, possibly at lower cost since the Legend desk staff arranged for shared cabs for people going at the same time.

For next spring I've signed up for Viking's air as I have no experience with Budapest or Nuremberg, and the price seems better than I'm likely to find on my own, also using Viking transfers has appeal in those cities. So I'll see how that goes.

I have no magic cure for the challenges of 9 hours of time zone change. I usually soldier on when arriving in Europe and collapse around 8:00, and am pretty much okay next day. Coming back home seems worse -- it takes about a week to really get back, meanwhile falling asleep over dinner and waking at 3-4:00 a.m. But it does pass . . .

If you'd like to see a few photos or ask other questions, send me an email: freda@whidbey.com.

But you can ship direct your bags from your home to the boat and they will be waiting in your cabin. You can do the same back. Viking will give you a name of a company that they like to use. But for two bags from the east coast your looking at almost 2000.00 for two bags round trip. 50 LBS. each.

That could be useful in certain circumstances, but sounds like a way to put the trip over budget. I don't need to take all that much and do fine with one check-through and one carry-on. I like to keep my luggage small and light enough that I can, if desired, walk from hotel to ship, towing my bags behind me. It worked nicely in Amsterdam.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, Xoe. Your trip sounded wonderful. I was curious if a solo river cruiser gets treated any differently (hopefully in a good way) than people cruising together. For instance, does the staff look after you a bit more? Just wondering since river cruising dynamics are different than those of regular ships and there's a lot less organized activity on a river cruise. Were onboard meals ever a problem in terms of finding somewhere to sit, or does the dining room staff simply show you to a table that has available space?

Hi, Xoe. Your trip sounded wonderful. I was curious if a solo river cruiser gets treated any differently (hopefully in a good way) than people cruising together. For instance, does the staff look after you a bit more? Just wondering since river cruising dynamics are different than those of regular ships and there's a lot less organized activity on a river cruise. Were onboard meals ever a problem in terms of finding somewhere to sit, or does the dining room staff simply show you to a table that has available space?

Elyce

Single cruisers were not treated any different than couples on our cruise. There is no dining room staff showing you to a table on a river cruise. You will find a space quite easily. People are very friendly and you will have no problems making friends very quickly. You will find probably after one day that you will have a made table mates that you will probably stay with for the remainder of the cruise.

with you, No Fuss Travel. On our Viking Legend cruise each traveler was treated as an appreciated guest, always with warmth and respect. Dining -- no problem. The first night I went into the dining room by myself, found a table with empty chairs and asked if I could join them. After the first day I dined each evening with a very special group of new women friends whose moniker became "The Viking Queens". We continue to stay in touch now by email, sharing photos and memories and book titles for post-trip reading. I feel privileged to have shared this trip with them.

I have in the past traveled solo on large ships, and find that I prefer the small ships when going alone since it's so much easier to re-find new friends. Actually, I prefer small ships overall, but still go sometimes on the large ones for a variety of reasons, usually itinerary.

My photo album of this cruise, if you are interested:

http://fredasphotos1.shutterfly.com

It includes a photo of my single stateroom, also one of our group of fellow travelers at dinner and some shots of different areas of the ship.

Archived