Any info on Midwest Airline?

cage keeper

I love this airline. When I fly back to Michigan, this is the most common airline I have used. The best part of Midwest is that they back homemade chocolate chip cookies on board! The smell of them makes your mouth just water!

I have always gotten the best service with them, and try to book them as much as possible.

I love this airline. When I fly back to Michigan, this is the most common airline I have used. The best part of Midwest is that they back homemade chocolate chip cookies on board! The smell of them makes your mouth just water!

I have always gotten the best service with them, and try to book them as much as possible.

They have a one way price to Seattle from NY for 135.00. Everyone else is over 200.

They're great!!! BF flies them all the time and I did for the first time last month. Amazing chocolate chip cookies. Very clean planes and friendly flight attendants. Only issue is that their overhead bins seem a little smaller than most planes. But otherwise, go for it.

Recently purchased by Republic, they are a good airline. Newer planes, comfy 2 by 2 seating. Good staff. Cookies on flights leaving after about 10:30 am. There is a significant up-charge if you try to catch an earlier flight the same day.

Actually, the Midwest Airlines that people are talking about here is no more.

Midwest had been in financial troubles for a while now. During the last few months, they were sold to Republic Airlines holdings (an airline group which provides service to many other airlines, mostly on regional and "express" routes). Republic quickly got rid of the remaining Boeing 717 aircraft at Midwest, fired all the pilots and flight attendants, and restarted the airline with their own equipment (painted in Midwest colors) and their own pilots and flight attendants. The aircraft type currently used are Embraer 175/190's. Actually VERY nice airplanes, but smaller than the airplanes used by the former Midwest. Long gone are the warm cookies, hot meals, and special service.

Republic Airlines holdings could be facing their own troubles soon. The former Midwest used to code-share (and get a lot of business) from Northwest/Delta airlines. Now that Republic has purchased Midwest (along with Frontier), Delta has chosen to drop their code share with Midwest, thus eliminating a large percentage of the passengers feeding into Midwest from Delta. Furthermore, Delta may be dropping Republic as one of their Delta Connection carriers, making Republic's outlook even more uncertain.

Don't you love the airline industry?

Actually, the Midwest Airlines that people are talking about here is no more.

Midwest had been in financial troubles for a while now. During the last few months, they were sold to Republic Airlines holdings, which quickly got rid of the remaining Boeing 717 aircraft, fired all the pilots and flight attendants, and restarted the airline with their own equipment (painted in Midwest colors) and their own pilots and flight attendants. The aircraft type currently used are Embraer 175/190's. Actually VERY nice airplanes, but smaller than the airplanes used by the former Midwest. Long gone are the warm cookies, hot meals, and special service.

Republic Airlines holdings could be facing their own troubles soon. The former Midwest used to code-share (and get a lot of business) from Northwest/Delta airlines. Now that Republic has purchased Midwest (along with Frontier), Delta has chosen to drop their code share with Midwest, thus eliminating a large percentage of the passengers feeding into Midwest from Delta. Furthermore, Delta may be dropping Republic as one of their Delta Connection carriers, making Republic's outlook even more grim.

Don't you love the airline industry?

Well, the problem here is I never fly. So I don't know anything about the airlines. The last time I flew was when BIL got married in Vegas 14 years ago. What is your take on Delta?

Thanks

We are driving to Alaska but I need to get 5 family members there by air.

Well, the problem here is I never fly. So I don't know anything about the airlines. The last time I flew was when BIL got married in Vegas 14 years ago. What is your take on Delta?

Thanks

We are driving to Alaska but I need to get 5 family members there by air.

I flew on Midwest a month ago and am basing my post on that experience. I know they got bought out, but my experience was great. BF flew them two weeks ago and said the same.

And I definitely got cookies! :D

I have flown on a lot of Midwest flights before they were bought out and was on a Midwest flight less than a month ago out of FLL for the first time since Republic bought them. It was one of the new Embraer planes. MUCH smaller than the old Midwest planes - instead of the seats being first class size like on the old planes they were maybe an inch or two wider than normal seats. The overhead bin space was not large enough for roll aboard carry on bags, so we sat for a good bit while they gate checked a very large number of bags (didn't help that the flight was full). Did still have the warm cookies though! Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to fly on them again if the price were right, but I wouldn't pay MORE for a flight because it was on Midwest anymore (which, before they were bought out, I used to do).

Also there are moves afoot by Republic to "merge" Midwest and Frontier into a single brand. (Will the new airline be called Mid-tier?) Several articles have pointed out with the loss of Delta as a marketing partner, Frontier and Midwest's miles will probably be "stranded" and only usable on the merged airline.

I wouldn't use anyone's past experiences to set expecations, especially if you're traveling this summer or later.

Also there are moves afoot by Republic to "merge" Midwest and Frontier into a single brand. (Will the new airline be called Mid-tier?) Several articles have pointed out with the loss of Delta as a marketing partner, Frontier and Midwest's miles will probably be "stranded" and only usable on the merged airline.

I wouldn't use anyone's past experiences to set expecations, especially if you're traveling this summer or later.

Thank you. We just ended up finding a price drop on Delta and jumped on it. We needed 4 round trips and 1 one way. I think we got a decent price. And I feel Delta will have more flights out of JFK in case something gets canceled.

Archived