Would someone be able to help? Upsell/Upgrade info needed

terrymtex01

Hey All.. I'm trying to help someone from our Roll Call thread. They are wanting to upgrade to a balcony stateroom and are wanting it at a good price. I have read on here several times where you can call NCL and ask for a special department which I can't remember the name of , or you can call a certain number for that department. Would someone either share that information with me here or via my email address below so I can pass this on to my Roll Call friend?

I appreciate your help.

Terry

So is it true that if you call you are blackballed or is that a myth? I have read yes and no on the board, wondering if anyone has actual experience calling? If so and you were successful, were you booked thru NCL or a TA?:confused:

So is it true that if you call you are blackballed or is that a myth? I have read yes and no on the board, wondering if anyone has actual experience calling? If so and you were successful, were you booked thru NCL or a TA?:confused:

Rileyz.. I have to tell you I don't know what to believe on this subject any longer. I don't believe you are blacklisted, that just doesn't make sense to me from a business stand point. That seems more like childish revenge and at some point, even if that were something they did, someone higher up would discover it and make sure that didn't happen. Blacklisting is an emotional response and not very business savy in this instance.

I just don't know to believe if it really does you any good to call to begin with. I don't see the motivation in folks coming on here posting that they have been successful in calling and getting an upgrade at a discount. I do believe that it probably wasn't as good of a discount as if the department had called them initially, but who knows what to believe. I just really wanted to try to help my Roll Call friend get a balcony cabin so I thought I would give it a try and do what I could to get a phone number for her.

If you do a search on CC NCL forum for "upsell" you'll get enough to keep you reading for the weekend. I've done this and there are plenty of people who have called the reassignment or upsell department and have been succellful getting a good discount. Most put it at about 50% of the current published difference.

I have personally called the number that I have from one of the very old posts and while I don't have a cruise currently booked with NCL, have asked them if they do accept calls and they say they do.

For me it comes down to this - when I do book another cruise with NCL, I will book a cabin that I will look forward to being in. I will, however, call the upsell desk two to three weeks from sailing to ask if any upsells are available. This approach is a "can't lose" one. If I get an upsell I will have a great cruise and if I don't, I'll still have a great cruise.

There are plenty of "nay sayers" on this subject and I'm sure they'll show up. It's entirely up to you what you do.

If you do a search on CC NCL forum for "upsell" you'll get enough to keep you reading for the weekend. I've done this and there are plenty of people who have called the reassignment or upsell department and have been succellful getting a good discount. Most put it at about 50% of the current published difference.

I have personally called the number that I have from one of the very old posts and while I don't have a cruise currently booked with NCL, have asked them if they do accept calls and they say they do.

For me it comes down to this - when I do book another cruise with NCL, I will book a cabin that I will look forward to being in. I will, however, call the upsell desk two to three weeks from sailing to ask if any upsells are available. This approach is a "can't lose" one. If I get an upsell I will have a great cruise and if I don't, I'll still have a great cruise.

There are plenty of "nay sayers" on this subject and I'm sure they'll show up. It's entirely up to you what you do.

I agree with you. We booked the cabin we wanted on the sailing we wanted. Still I would love to get a call for an upgrade/upsell to an AD suite. I was going to call and see what happened, but I thought I would wait a bit longer since we do not sail for another 6 weeks. Then the other day I noticed that all the AD's are sold out on our sailing. :(

Oh well, no big deal, since we are happy with the cabin we booked. We are so looking forward to having a wonderful time. :) :)

That's kind of what I have been telling my friend.. what does she have to loose. I do know she called the main CS number and they were not able to help her with any discount, so that is why I went in search of this info for her. Thanks for posting.

I agree with you. We booked the cabin we wanted on the sailing we wanted. Still I would love to get a call for an upgrade/upsell to an AD suite. I was going to call and see what happened, but I thought I would wait a bit longer since we do not sail for another 6 weeks. Then the other day I noticed that all the AD's are sold out on our sailing. :(

Oh well, no big deal, since we are happy with the cabin we booked. We are so looking forward to having a wonderful time. :) :)

Hey.. don't give up ALL hope. Those in the AD's may very well be offered an upsell to a higher suite, thus opening up an AD. Just keep checking every day to see what suites are available.. 8-)

Well, I just tried to get an upsell by calling the reassignment desk. I booked through a TA, but called myself. We had a BB on the Sun, sailing in 13 days. I saw that there was one stern AF cabin left and thought it might be nice if the price was right. They answered the phone right away, were very professional, friendly and helpful. I asked politely if an upsell would be available for that cabin. She said I could stay on hold while she called my TA. She then came back on the line and offered me the upsell for @ 30% of the difference between the two cabins.

So, all you naysayers and those who just wanted to know, the "upsell department" is reachable, is VERY nice to work with, and deals can be had if you are lucky, time it right, and are nice to them in return.

Amy

Well, I just tried to get an upsell by calling the reassignment desk. I booked through a TA, but called myself. We had a BB on the Sun, sailing in 13 days. I saw that there was one stern AF cabin left and thought it might be nice if the price was right. They answered the phone right away, were very professional, friendly and helpful. I asked politely if an upsell would be available for that cabin. She said I could stay on hold while she called my TA. She then came back on the line and offered me the upsell for @ 30% of the difference between the two cabins.

So, all you naysayers and those who just wanted to know, the "upsell department" is reachable, is VERY nice to work with, and deals can be had if you are lucky, time it right, and are nice to them in return.

Amy

Thank you for posting your experience, Amy. Is the 30% of the difference based on what the cabins are priced at now or when you paid? For instance, the cabin I am booked in is now going for twice what I paid so it would make a big difference.

Amy

Thank you Amy. I beginning to feel lonely out on this limb.

Thank you for posting your experience, Amy. Is the 30% of the difference based on what the cabins are priced at now or when you paid? For instance, the cabin I am booked in is now going for twice what I paid so it would make a big difference.

My fee was based upon what the AF minisuite costs today compared to what I paid for my BB cabin in January, then paid 27% of that difference. I thought it was a great deal.

Amy

Thank you Amy. I beginning to feel lonely out on this limb.

Janice, you are only out on a limb because it seems that you refute others experiences that have happened throughout the years of the reassignment desk. The situation is that it has worked for you, not worked for others, at times they've closed the reassignment desk for long periods of time to incoming calls and sometimes it's open. Then, some engage you in discussion about the business model or whatever. Stay away from those conversations and recognize that all of the above is true. Then, you won't be out on a limb. I mean this post very respectful of you and don't mean to be challenging.

Janice, you are only out on a limb because it seems that you refute others experiences that have happened throughout the years of the reassignment desk. The situation is that it has worked for you, not worked for others, at times they've closed the reassignment desk for long periods of time to incoming calls and sometimes it's open. Then, some engage you in discussion about the business model or whatever. Stay away from those conversations and recognize that all of the above is true. Then, you won't be out on a limb. I mean this post very respectful of you and don't mean to be challenging.

Thank you, I know you have tried to be more of a mediator than choosing sides. I have no doubt that the reassignment desk has had a history of not accepting calls, but those with that knowledge also have a responsibility to recognize when that changes. This board needs to stay current if it is going to benefit the participants. Currently, the NCL reassignment desk has no problem with people calling that are courteous and timely. This fact needs to be distributed to all NCL cruisers that come here for information. It serves no purpose to continue to warn of "blackball" outcomes or upsells that are far inferior to the "real" upsells. It is pointed out here all the time that CC'ers represent less than 5% of all cruisers. Wouldn't it be great if, because of this current information, CC'ers would get the majority of the upsells just by calling instead of waiting for a call?

Amy

Congrats, Amy.. that is great. Enjoy your new stateroom. 8-)

PS. And that is a great discount.

Hey All.. I'm trying to help someone from our Roll Call thread. They are wanting to upgrade to a balcony stateroom and are wanting it at a good price. I have read on here several times where you can call NCL and ask for a special department which I can't remember the name of , or you can call a certain number for that department. Would someone either share that information with me here or via my email address below so I can pass this on to my Roll Call friend?

I appreciate your help.

Terry

Interesting link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1156121&page=1

Especially page 3.

I think the problem here is that some of these threads give the impression that EVERYBODY is getting great upsells for a fraction of the cost. I do believe that it happens, but the odds are against any one cabin. And the differing stories about passengers who call the reassignment desk themselves may depend on how much demand there is for their original cabin. So the bottom line seems to be, call yourself or hope for a call, but please don't count on it. Everyone needs to book a cabin they will be content with, and not be disappointed if they don't get a great deal to move up.

Cute, Janice :rolleyes:

Knowing Terry from these boards and from cruising, if he reports that an upsell is obtainable just by calling, then I'll become a believer! :) Until then, my experience is that it isn't.

Currently, the NCL reassignment desk has no problem with people calling that are courteous and timely.

Don't you think that statement is somewhat presumptuous and anecdotal? Do you work for NCL and have first hand knowledge of this? How did you derive this information; whom in NCL management stated such?

If this just happens to be a handful of experiences, that certainly would not be a trend rate to base any validity on. Assuming NCL has nearly 100,000 customers a month with some that want more for less, the department would be truly overwhelmed.

IMO I think that the random OUTGOING calls by NCL is a better practice...otherwise, to me it seems to cheapen the product. If you want something...buy it. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

If this has been verified as "no problem with people calling" by an NCL Manager/Director/VP, who is that?

Thanks,

Don't you think that statement is somewhat presumptuous and anecdotal? Do you work for NCL and have first hand knowledge of this? How did you derive this information; whom in NCL management stated such?

If this just happens to be a handful of experiences, that certainly would not be a trend rate to base any validity on. Assuming NCL has nearly 100,000 customers a month with some that want more for less, the department would be truly overwhelmed.

IMO I think that the random OUTGOING calls by NCL is a better practice...otherwise, to me it seems to cheapen the product. If you want something...buy it. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

If this has been verified as "no problem with people calling" by an NCL Manager/Director/VP, who is that?

Thanks,

My experience in the last few weeks is that they have told me they have no problem with people calling for upsells. Do you have recent experience where they have told you they don't? If so, please provide the name of the manager/director/vp that told you.

Thanks.

Cripes! How long is going to go on and how many threads need to be involved?

There is no right or wrong. Some have had more experience with this others over the years and have told their tales and the newcomers who have had experiences are entitled to tell their tales. The time and effort being put into this by some is incredible. Can this subject be beaten in to the ground any further?

Upsell Desk, Reassignment desk - Get an uspell an upgrade, get a better deal or get an "I'm sorry, the ship is full." Call and get a chance to spin the wheel of Fortune (or misfortune.) Good luck to all!

Geez!

Archived