Harbor House Hotel

pearose

This may seem like a stupid question. But we are going to drive to Galveston the day prior to our cruise. We were hoping to get a room at the Habor House Hotel. We can get a room with 2 queen size beds. There will be 4 of us. It is just for one night, and we are sharing a cabin for 4 on the ship anyway, we don't see any reason to get and pay for 2 hotel rooms. However, online, when trying to get pricing, going through the booking procedure, it says that 4 and even 3 exceed the limits for that room. Will they not allow 4 ppl to stay in one room. Has anyone else run into this problem?

This may seem like a stupid question. But we are going to drive to Galveston the day prior to our cruise. We were hoping to get a room at the Habor House Hotel. We can get a room with 2 queen size beds. There will be 4 of us. It is just for one night, and we are sharing a cabin for 4 on the ship anyway, we don't see any reason to get and pay for 2 hotel rooms. However, online, when trying to get pricing, going through the booking procedure, it says that 4 and even 3 exceed the limits for that room. Will they not allow 4 ppl to stay in one room. Has anyone else run into this problem?

If there is 2 queens , tell them 2 ,you are the paying for the room

Don't say nothing about 4 , simple

Just make sure you can ask for two beds. Some of their rooms only feature one king size bed, so three (or more) won't work.

If you're booking on one of the discount sites (hotwire, priceline, etc.) they won't guarantee two beds/room. Ran into this when trying to book a hotel for DH and myself and my Mother. They will only guarantee a bed for two adults.

Well you know, I did think of that, and was planning to book it by phone, so will specifically ask for 2 queen beds. But wasn't sure how that would work. Have never been to this hotel before. If you have to go through the lobby to get to the elevators for the rooms, if they saw 4 of us together, they might get suspicious! lol.

The other question is, if you reserve it with a cc, will they actually charge the card now or wait until you check out? I know these probably sound like silly questions to most of you, but this is the first time I've been the one to make travel arrangements. Usually I just go along for the ride, let someone else make the arrangements and give them my share of the money! lol

We stayed there recently - had made a reservation for 3 people, and actually ended up having 4 people in our room. We were told that we were given a "special" rate and needed to pre-pay the reservation, however, weren't actually charged until we checked out. The front desk/lobby area is very small....no need to worry if they see 3 or 4 people. Actually, all of the people working at the front desk while we were there seemed quite clueless. We asked which cruise terminal was closer - Carnival or Royal, and she didn't know....keep in mind this is just a few blocks (if that away from the hotel!) Other than that, we were very happy with the accomodations.

We stayed at Harbor House in February and absolutely loved it. There were 4 of us. When I booked this directly with the hotel - I let them know that there were 4 of us and it was not a problem at all. We had 2 queen beds. The hotel did not charge extra for having 4 in the room.

Enjoy!

We stayed at Harbor House in February and absolutely loved it. There were 4 of us. When I booked this directly with the hotel - I let them know that there were 4 of us and it was not a problem at all. We had 2 queen beds. The hotel did not charge extra for having 4 in the room.

Enjoy!

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. I will call them back and let them know there will be 4 instead of 2, but we already have a room with 2 queen beds reserved, so it should be fine.

Also, I asked for a room with a view of the cruise terminal, and he booked it and called it a "harbor view room". Is that a view of the harbor or will it be facing the cruise terminal, do you know? Either way, doesn't really MATTER, we'll enjoy it and still see the ship come in. Just wondered if you or anyone else might know if that is what 'harbor view' means.

Thanks!

Here are links to the live web cams sitting on top of Harbor House. These should give you an idea of the view.

Faces toward cruise terminal: http://www.galveston.com/cruisecam/

Faces toward the harbor: http://www.galveston.com/harborcam/

Check back on Thursday 4/22 when the Ecstasy comes in. You'll be able to see the ship docked at the terminal. Or if you're really obsessive like some of us, you can "watch" it come in in the morning and leave in the afternoon.

Have fun!

Here are links to the live web cams sitting on top of Harbor House. These should give you an idea of the view.

Faces toward cruise terminal: http://www.galveston.com/cruisecam/

Faces toward the harbor: http://www.galveston.com/harborcam/

Check back on Thursday 4/22 when the Ecstasy comes in. You'll be able to see the ship docked at the terminal. Or if you're really obsessive like some of us, you can "watch" it come in in the morning and leave in the afternoon.

Have fun!

Oh yes! I know all about the cams, thats why we booked a room at the Harbor House. Just wondered though, when he said "harvor view" if he meant the view from the harbor cam or not. Not everyone is "cruise obsessive" like me and may consider "harbor view" the view I meant when I said I wanted to see the ship. Who knows, but like I said...........either way we'll be able to see it come in so I'm happy!! And yes, I do sit and watch it come in and leave every chance I get. :D:D:D

Oh yes! I know all about the cams, thats why we booked a room at the Harbor House. Just wondered though, when he said "harvor view" if he meant the view from the harbor cam or not. Not everyone is "cruise obsessive" like me and may consider "harbor view" the view I meant when I said I wanted to see the ship. Who knows, but like I said...........either way we'll be able to see it come in so I'm happy!! And yes, I do sit and watch it come in and leave every chance I get. :D:D:D

Depending on your room you can watch ship from your room window.

Or walk downstairs and watch from hotel/restaurant deck

or from on the docks themselves. Dock is right in front of hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

We Stayed there in Feb and not only were there 2 beds in the room, but a pretty good size Sofa also. all rooms face one side or the other of the Channel. Don't know if they are still pivoting in front of HH or not since the Incident with the Skyway in Jan. on our cruise they went past the Carnival pier and past the RC pier before they made the pivot, but that was back in Feb. We have 2 Rooms booked in Oct at HH for our next Cruise. ENJOY:)

• 2 weeks later...

I am a lil torn... On Tripadvisor there is not the best of reviews about the Harbor House but I dont know if its people being to critical or it is not all its cracked up to be. HELP!!! Tell me why you love the Harbor House and Why I should go with my gut and book.

I went out and looked at the lastest reviews. First - the rooms overlook the parking lot on one side and a resturant on the other - you can see the water from either side. Never heard of them promising a "Harbor View". If you want the side where the ship sits then tell them that - you may have to wait until they get a room clean - which could be a while. They really do take their time cleaning the rooms. I saw the cleaning cart in the hall at 6 one evening. Our room was always cleaned early.

I have stayed there twice and there was always 2 lamps in the room.

I thought the pillows and beds were great. The hotel is old and the bathrooms so it. It is styled as a warehouse and has "charm". There is no lobby per say and the internet is slow. Is it worth the price - that depends. To me if you are wanting a place close to the pier where you can walk over you are paying for that convienence.

The breakfast is continental and the standard fare. Nothing fantastic.

Depending on your room you can watch ship from your room window.

Or walk downstairs and watch from hotel/restaurant deck

or from on the docks themselves. Dock is right in front of hotel.

Stayed in the Harbor House the night before a trip on the Grand (sigh, miss those days....)

Wife and I woke early and watched the Grand come in Saturday morning from the dock next to the hotel. An hour or so later we were walking near the terminal and struck up a conversation with the Harbor Pilot who brought the ship in! Great half-hour chat; learned a lot about the state of the harbor and the job of the pilot in general.

Haven't cruised from Galveston since then but will definitely stay at the HH again. Watching the sun rise while the ship steams by is something you will always remember.

We stayed in the Harbor House in 2008 and will again next April...have already booked the hotel. We go in a few days early and LOVE the HH.

I always call the hotel direct and tell them I would like a room on the "cruise ship" side of the hotel...and last time that is what I got. They did tell me they cannot guarantee that but will note it on my reservation...so keeping my fingers crossed...but will be happy with any of the rooms.

We were told two years ago that the hotel was an old marine warehouse that was converted to the hotel. So the rooms are a little rustic...but very nice size, clean and comfortable.

However, if you are expecting the Marriott or Hilton then you could be dissapointed....but we loved it.

Archived