Best time to cruise in Asia

casmum

We are considering doing a cruise in Asia in July. From Shanghai to Bangkok. The itinerary will include The East China Sea, The South China Sea and the Gulf of Thailand. I am interested in finding out what the weather and the sea conditions are likely to be at that time of the year.

We are considering doing a cruise in Asia in July. From Shanghai to Bangkok. The itinerary will include The East China Sea, The South China Sea and the Gulf of Thailand. I am interested in finding out what the weather and the sea conditions are likely to be at that time of the year.

This is the hottest, most humid time of the year in Asia (like everyplace else, but the humidity can be REALLY oppressive, especially in Bangkok and Vietnam).

It is also typhoon season, so although the Captain will steer clear of any major storms, you have the possibility of missing some ports. The seas could be very rough, although as paul929207 said, it can be smooth as glass.

After just returning in early March from a cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong and the oppressive heat we found at that time of the year, I can't imagine going in the summer. We could barely function in Bangkok and our three ports in Vietnam.

That said, if you were from a very hot and humid climate already, you would probably handle it better than those of us from up in the Seattle area. We just about died from the heat and humidity on some days. Smooth seas everyday though.

Doesn't RCCL provide average weather conditions? Princess has it for every port on every cruise on their website.

If not, you can get average weather conditions for cities all over the world on the various weather websites.

We're going the last 2 weeks of Sept. Does anyone know what the weather is like then? I have NO IDEA how to pack.... (We're starting in Hong Kong to ending near Beijing). Thanks!

If you go to Weather Underground for the city you want (here is Hong Kong: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/45007.html) and then look about half way down on the page in the left hand column you will see History and Almanac. You can choose any day in history and see what the weather was (back as far as they have records for).

When we go someplace new, I usually check the last four years or so on the dates we will be there and that will give you a close approximation of what the weather will be like when you are there (barring any freak storms, etc.)

Hope that helps.

Jim

If you go to Weather Underground for the city you want (here is Hong Kong: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/45007.html) and then look about half way down on the page in the left hand column you will see History and Almanac. You can choose any day in history and see what the weather was (back as far as they have records for).

When we go someplace new, I usually check the last four years or so on the dates we will be there and that will give you a close approximation of what the weather will be like when you are there (barring any freak storms, etc.)

Hope that helps.

Jim

Thanks for the reply. I'm talking more in terms of humitiy and if the morning/evenings are much more chilly than the day. I've looked up the daytime average temperatures, but was hoping someome could tell me what isnt mentioned.

The average temperature really doesn't tell you much. You need to look at the average high temperature and average low temperature for the month you will be there. Also, if it is available, note the average humidity.

This website will give you that information for most cities around the world. http://www.weatherbase.com/

For what it's worth, I was in Hong Kong and places north of there last year at the end of June, and it was so hot and humid that it was hard to be out touring the sights. In most areas, the temperatures were in the 90s --sometimes the high 90s, and the humidity was about the same. After an hour or two touring the sights, it just was not enjoyable. This was true even as far north as Japan.

I personally would never go back to Asia in the summer, but perhaps if you are from a hot and humid area, it would not feel so bad. However, remember that you probably will be outside most of the day in each port. None of the sights are air-conditioned, and after a short period of time, you will be very hot and wet. The only relief is on the bus or taxi when you travel between sights.

We're going the last 2 weeks of Sept. Does anyone know what the weather is like then? I have NO IDEA how to pack.... (We're starting in Hong Kong to ending near Beijing). Thanks!

Hi, we were cruising on the Superstarship Virgo in late September in the Straits of Malacca and it was very pleasant.Loved it and had one rainy day in Phuket due to typhoon. All other days fine and not too hot but then we are from Australia. We did a cruise at the end of October on the Sapphire Princess at the end of October/early November and we were at the tail end of the typhoon season. Had smooth sailing and only had one change of plans in Hoi an Vietnam due to flooding. Really depends on the weather at the time because the cruise after ours lost several port excursions due to bad weather.Hope this helps.:)

Hi, we were cruising on the Superstarship Virgo in late September in the Straits of Malacca and it was very pleasant.Loved it and had one rainy day in Phuket due to typhoon. All other days fine and not too hot but then we are from Australia. We did a cruise at the end of October on the Sapphire Princess at the end of October/early November and we were at the tail end of the typhoon season. Had smooth sailing and only had one change of plans in Hoi an Vietnam due to flooding. Really depends on the weather at the time because the cruise after ours lost several port excursions due to bad weather.Hope this helps.:)

PS Forgot to mention that Sapphire Princess cruise was from Beijing to Bangkok. Give yourself at least 5 days in Beijing to have a good look around and be aware of the pollution. A good hotel that is not too expensive is the Harmony hotel. We would stay there again.Very convenient to subway and Macdonalds if you feel homesick!:)

After just returning in early March from a cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong and the oppressive heat we found at that time of the year, I can't imagine going in the summer. We could barely function in Bangkok and our three ports in Vietnam.

That said, if you were from a very hot and humid climate already, you would probably handle it better than those of us from up in the Seattle area. We just about died from the heat and humidity on some days. Smooth seas everyday though.

Hi, DrKoob~~ We live on Whidbey Island and will be cruising in Asia on RCI in Nov. Do you have any recommendations for tour guides in Bangkok and Vietnam? I've been emailing a couple, but have nothing to compare costs.

Thanks for any information. Yes, being from the Seattle area the heat and humidity in Asia will be an adjustment! ~~Judy

I am also from Canada and used to cooler and dryer weather. Hong Kong to Beijing is about 2,000 km, i.e. the distance between Toronto and Orlando, so the weather varies.

During the last 2 weeks in September you won't see the heat wave anymore but it is hot enough for Canadians. Think it is like a hot July heat warning from the government of Toronto. You probably will stay two days in Hong Kong, so it is fine, except the day you go to the Budda. Try to go and finish early so you can finish an air conditioned shopping mall for the rest of the day. Bring everything short - pants, t-shirts and that's it. Bring a thin wind breaker - no you don't need it for Hong Kong. Save it for Beijing though.

Beijing is about the latitude of Williamsburg, VA or Washington DC. October is the best month in the year to visit Beijing. You will need a wind breaker for the morning and the evening but shorts are fine during the day. The first week in October is the Golden Week - a national holiday - so people, instead of weather, is your headache.

Archived