Vantage Moscow to St. Petersburg

Hydrokitty

Has anyone used Vantage for Russian Waterways of the Czars? I have used Vantage for three trips and have no complaints, but I'm a little concerned about the Nikolay Chernyshevsky. Anyone having done this trip on that ship, I'd appreciate some information regarding accommodations and food on ship. Thank you.

We did the Vantage tour 2 years ago from St. Petersburg to Moscow. They have since shortened the tour a day on each end. We were fortunate that in Moscow we stayed at the Mariott just a short walk from Red Square (3 nights). I believe they are now staying on the ship in Moscow. In St. Petersburg we stayed on the ship and the commute into the city took about an hour each way. We had no complaints with the Nikolay Chernyshevsky. The ship was typical of the others on the river. Our cabin was small but reasonably comfortable. There were numerous activities onboard as we cruised. The food was buffet-style for breakfast and lunch with service at dinner. The food wasn't gourmet but was usually good. There were several theme nights with entertainment in the dining room. We overall enjoyed the cruise although we didn't particularly like the guide for the group we were assigned to. I'll check back with this thread if you have any other questions for me.

Good morning 40year cruiser and thanks for the response! I've been on several smaller ships, particularly Louis Cruises of the Greek Islands, which was very basic, but clean and comfortable. I'm not a fussy person and I've traveled enough to roll with just about anything. My primary concern is in comparing Vantage Russian fleet with some of the others, I see that on Vantage they have a "marine toilet/shower combo". Now, I remember the head on our 34' trojan from years ago and you could describe it with thousands of words and comfortable would not make the list! We're leaving on 4/22 with Vantage for Holland and Belgium and plan to book either Russia or Alaska when they have their "cocktail hour/sales meeting on this one! While I consider myself a loyal Vantage customer, right now I have to say I'm leaning towards Viking for Russia and Vantage for Alaska...I guess I'm spoiled! So what was the bathroom/shower really like?:)

I'm trying to remember what the bathroom was like on the Russia cruise, but neither my husband or I recollect whether it had a shower stall or was an all-in-one. We weren't expecting luxury on this cruise so weren't disappointed. We walked through another ship when we were docked in St. Petersburg and it looked basically the same as the one we were on. I know we saw a Viking lines ship but I don't remember if that was one we went through. When you take your Holland cruise hopefully you'll meet someone who has taken the Vantage Russia cruise and can remember. Sorry I'm not more help on this question.

We have also been on a Louis cruise in the Greek Isles. That cruise was part of a tour of Greece with Grand Circle. We were on the Calypso, which I later found was previously the Norwegian Starward. Again, not the size and amenities of the newer ships but we still enjoyed the cruise and loved the islands. In some ways the smaller ships have more charm than the new megaships. We just got back from 18 days on the Star Princess from Rio to Ft. Lauderdale--had a great time!

Enjoy your trip to Holland and Belgium.:)

Archived