Darling Harbour

Hi All,

Just looking at the Sydney Ports list and it shows that Pacific Jewel, from 26 June 2010 onwards, is docking at 5 DH. I have read where the state government is moving it to White Bay in the future.

Is Sydney Ports renumbering the wharfs, or are they docking north of where the ship docks at the moment and have no infrastructure?

Any ideas?:confused:

Michael

Hi All,

Just looking at the Sydney Ports list and it shows that Pacific Jewel, from 26 June 2010 onwards, is docking at 5 DH. I have read where the state government is moving it to White Bay in the future.

Is Sydney Ports renumbering the wharfs, or are they docking north of where the ship docks at the moment and have no infrastructure?

Any ideas?:confused:

Michael

going by Sydney Ports the last ship to dock at wharf 8 is the Pacific Jewel on the 12th june and they are going to use 5 White Bay which is just past the Anzac Bridge and a private road runs off Robert st Balmain

we docked at 3 White Bay last year and its a bit of a headache getting there.....anyone getting a shuttle from the airport they will be dropped in Sydney and they will have to make other arrangements to get to White bay as the shuttles wouldnt go there so you might have to catch a taxi straight to the pier

rkmw

My understanding was that for the time between the developers of Bangaroo (is that what it's called?) taking possession of the exisiting cruise terminal at Wharf 8 in prepartion for demolition (happening this year) and the opening of the new terminal at White Bay in late 2011, a "temporary" facility was going to be built at Darling Harbour 5 so that there is still a terminal on the western side of the Harbour Bridge and that ships would be using that.

WHARF 5

HICKSON RD

BARANGAROO

this is what is on my personaliser for next year....may dawn princess

wharf 5 I think is that vacant land next to wharf 8.... when it is in use they erect a big white tent.....

worst thing sydney can do is build a terminal at white bay......

A big white tent for an international port? Doesn't that sound silly.

Just image at the peak cruise time in Dec - Mar 2011 when all these international ships come to Sydney and are unable to berth at the OPT and end up at DH and seeing a big white tent as the international terminal.

Why don't they leave the ships at 8 DH until White Bay is built and then move the facilities across there. Also as the SMH article says the ships been built these days will not fit under the harbour bridge, so why waste the money on White Bay, unless we are gong to keep the P&O Princess ship we have for a very long time(regardless of their age.)

Michael

You know every developed and some not so developed countries have good cruise ports. Why is it that with cruise ships only getting bigger the govnment of NSW see's fit to move the ship port to some backwater location without adiquate transport. These days very few international ships fit under the bridge, so whats with the new location?

Not just that, but what's with Barangaroo? A hotel and private residential apartments to be built over the water?!

Developer dollars count, not much else. (And isn't this extremely reminiscent of the Woolloomooloo wharf disaster? :-( )

I'm confused with the dock 5 and 8 talk of Darling Harbor. We are booked on the Sun Princess Oct 13, 2010 sailing RT New Zealand. Princess cruise personalizer now shows docking at "Wharf 5 Hickson Road, Barangaroo". Is this different than Darling Harbor(I assume yes)? Where is Barangaroo in relation to Darling? Are there hotels near the Barangaroo location? Thanks in advance to all trying to unconfuse me.icon11.gif

I'm confused with the dock 5 and 8 talk of Darling Harbor. We are booked on the Sun Princess Oct 13, 2010 sailing RT New Zealand. Princess cruise personalizer now shows docking at "Wharf 5 Hickson Road, Barangaroo". Is this different than Darling Harbor(I assume yes)? Where is Barangaroo in relation to Darling? Are there hotels near the Barangaroo location? Thanks in advance to all trying to unconfuse me.icon11.gif

hi, wharf 5 is approx 300 metres from wharf 8 so its pretty close

Here is a picture of the Sun Princess berthed at Wharf 5 Darling Harbour earlier this year as Wharf 8 was being used by another ship.

4366490682_11019f5d2d_o.jpg

rkmw

Archived