Flying is getting worse know you have to pay for carry on bags

Are you serious?! Tell me that article isn't real! :eek: I almost don't believe it, but they have done so many rediculous things, that I can sort of believe it! Any chance you have heard about Ryanair proposing making spots on their planes for STANDING?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197799/Ryanair-make-passengers-stand-bid-cram-board.html

Have you, as a teen, ever flown on Spirit or RyanAir? What other "rediculous" things has Spirit done? Have you ever flown at all? Just asking.

Although they are going about it the wrong way, I think the airlines are finally wising up to the fact that too many passengers are bringing suitcases not carryons onto the plane. The spirit of the carryon has long ago been lost and abused. But if the airlines need to cover the cost of all of this weight(and it should be in the belly of the plane), then they should just raise their fares and stop nickel and diming us. That way we can price a fare competitivly and not have to worry about extras. No airline wants to be first because they are afraid of losing business. But I bet you would find that the airline that advertises that "Bags Fly Free" probably has higher fares.

I think the airlines are finally wising up to the fact that too many passengers are bringing suitcases not carryons onto the plane. The spirit of the carryon has long ago been lost and abused.

Yep. I worked for the airlines for a long time, and just saw the handluggage get bigger and bigger over the years. Full size trekking backpacks, complete Samsonites, you name it. The idea of handluggage originally is what you are going to need on your flight: your book and reading glasses, medication, travel documents, a sweater, maybe a clean pair of undies:D. People are more and more using handluggage to avoid excess baggage charges on their checked luggage. I once in my duty as a gate supervisor intercepted a passenger who had checked the maximum of 20 kgs, but came to the gate with bags weighing 42 kgs, insisting this was his carry on. Unfortunately, a lot of passengers do not have that much less nowadays. A lot of them try to carry 20kgs or more on, the equivalent of the checked baggage allowance. More and more airlines now have scales at the gate, actually charging people if their hand luggage is really outrageously big or heavy. In my job, I actually had people lift their own handluggage for years before scales were introduced if I had any doubts. If they could not carry it on board by themselves without the help of wheels or a trolley, it simply was not carry on luggage....

I just checked on the site of Spirit: yes, you can still take one small bag with you on the plane, plus the IATA designated free items (coat, umbrella, baby stroller, books). They are letting you take a larger or second item on board, but yes, you do have to pay for that. Do you know what causes most passengers to get hurt in case of an accident, turbulence or a very bumpy landing? Very heavy handluggage falling out of the overhead compartment or even bringing the whole luggage bin down!

And before somebody start to say that airlines lose their luggage all the time: Statistically 99,5% of all checked baggage arrives at its final destination with its owner. And of the missing ones, 99% is reunited with the passenger within 3 days. These percentages have been constant for the last 10 years or so.

Oh, and the stories about standing room only etc on Ryanair are just not going to happen due to safety regulations. They are in no way serious about hardly any of their press releases, it just gets them free publicity and have people talking about them. That is exactly what we are all doing here too, aren't we?

Yep. I worked for the airlines for a long time, and just saw the handluggage get bigger and bigger over the years. Full size trekking backpacks, complete Samsonites, you name it. The idea of handluggage originally is what you are going to need on your flight: your book and reading glasses, medication, travel documents, a sweater, maybe a clean pair of undies:D. People are more and more using handluggage to avoid excess baggage charges on their checked luggage. I once in my duty as a gate supervisor intercepted a passenger who had checked the maximum of 20 kgs, but came to the gate with bags weighing 42 kgs, insisting this was his carry on. Unfortunately, a lot of passengers do not have that much less nowadays. A lot of them try to carry 20kgs or more on, the equivalent of the checked baggage allowance. More and more airlines now have scales at the gate, actually charging people if their hand luggage is really outrageously big or heavy. In my job, I actually had people lift their own handluggage for years before scales were introduced if I had any doubts. If they could not carry it on board by themselves without the help of wheels or a trolley, it simply was not carry on luggage....

I just checked on the site of Spirit: yes, you can still take one small bag with you on the plane, plus the IATA designated free items (coat, umbrella, baby stroller, books). They are letting you take a larger or second item on board, but yes, you do have to pay for that. Do you know what causes most passengers to get hurt in case of an accident, turbulence or a very bumpy landing? Very heavy handluggage falling out of the overhead compartment or even bringing the whole luggage bin down!

Thank you for an intelligent post. Yes, I board with a carry-on, but it is not luggage at all--it is a small gym bag. I am never ceased to be amazed with the "stuff" that people try to stuff in the overhead compartments! How many times have you seen folks trying to cram a piece of luggage into a overhead compartment and it just won't fit? How many times have you been delayed debarking the plane due to folks wrestling with these items?

Any chance you have heard about Ryanair proposing making spots on their planes for STANDING?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197799/Ryanair-make-passengers-stand-bid-cram-board.html

It´s not only Ryanair. A number of airlines have thought about this and there´s been renderings from the big aircraft builders on how it could look like.

I´m probably in the minority, but I´ve said this before. I´d like to see standing room on planes. I´m much more comfortable standing than being cramped into these seats. I stand up all day without problems, but just the thought of being cramped into an airline seat for a couple of hours makes me cringe. I´d book a 12 hour flight in a standing place in a heartbeat over an economy seat

To get back on topic.

I don´t like all the luggage charges they come up with, but having said this it´s the bottom line counting to me.

All the different charges makes price comparing more difficult, but in the end I will have to check what will I need getting me and my luggage from point A to B. Then I can start to compare the final cost after including all taxes, fees, and other add ons. The final price will be the deciding point.

I don´t care if airline A offers me a cheap ticket but then adds on a gazillion fees or airline B offers me a more expensive ticket all inclusive. Important is my out of pocket expense for the whole thing.

I don´t care if airline A offers me a cheap ticket but then adds on a gazillion fees or airline B offers me a more expensive ticket all inclusive. Important is my out of pocket expense for the whole thing.

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head!

It's the total cost that matters.

If Airline A has an all-inclusive cost of $300 and Airline B charges extra for luggage, carry-ons, food, etc., that total $250, Airline B is the more economical choice.

Having said that, it may be the case that Airline A provides a better flying experience, kinda like a balcony opposed to an inside cabin.

If Airline A has an all-inclusive cost of $300 and Airline B charges extra for luggage, carry-ons, food, etc., that total $250, Airline B is the more economical choice.

Having said that, it may be the case that Airline A provides a better flying experience, kinda like a balcony opposed to an inside cabin.

That´s for sure and with most things that´s the point where one has to decide what level of quality one wants to chose and at what price.

With flights another deciding factor to me would be the flight schedule and routing.

A "short trip" is less than 1000 miles? Not in my book. I've been flying since the 60's. You? How many flights have you taken? Yes, I drive my car almost daily, but choose not to rack up 10,000 + miles plus gas, motel, food, expenses every year when I can fly instead for a lot cheaper. And, my car retains most of its value, because of low mileage, and I spend very little on upkeep and maintenance , because my car doesn't need it. I also get an insurance discount. My 2005 Accord has 49,000 miles, and was pre-owned. What's the mileage on your car?

It is in my book. Any port that is within a thousand miles I will drive to. If I could figure out a way to get all the luggage to the port I would ride my motorcycle. Both mt car and my bike are way more comfortable then an airline seat. I purchased both my car and my bike to be used so that is what I do. I have always found flying to be more stressful then driving and stress is not how I wish to start or end a vacation.

Although they are going about it the wrong way, I think the airlines are finally wising up to the fact that too many passengers are bringing suitcases not carryons onto the plane. The spirit of the carryon has long ago been lost and abused. But if the airlines need to cover the cost of all of this weight(and it should be in the belly of the plane), then they should just raise their fares and stop nickel and diming us. That way we can price a fare competitivly and not have to worry about extras. No airline wants to be first because they are afraid of losing business. But I bet you would find that the airline that advertises that "Bags Fly Free" probably has higher fares.

I do believe that this is the issue and since the airlies are not going to enforce the size of the carry on's then I'm all for this. Nothing like being seated in aisle seat and losing your shoulder every two minutes with people struggling to get their luggage and other stuff down the aisle.

It all depends on the time you fly, when you book, how long the flight is, or what your demands are.

On any flight under let's say approx 3 hours, I don't care about legroom, food or inflight entertainment. In that case I would go with a budget airline or an unknown airline any time, the "better flying experience" is then secondary to getting a great rate.

You are right though, I would rather see an all-in price too. But let me tell you a story: we own a hotel and the local council charges a tourist tax of 1 Euro per person per night. We work with a lot of online booking systems. In the past, some wanted a rate including the tourist tax and others without (but did mention it clearly on their site it had to be paid in the hotel). We have had numerous people booking on 1 platform and then cancelling and rebooking on another platform, because they thought they could save a Euro (=1.35 $). That is how much people select on price.

It all depends on the time you fly, when you book, how long the flight is, or what your demands are.

On any flight under let's say approx 3 hours, I don't care about legroom, food or inflight entertainment. In that case I would go with a budget airline or an unknown airline any time, the "better flying experience" is then secondary to getting a great rate.

You are right though, I would rather see an all-in price too. But let me tell you a story: we own a hotel and the local council charges a tourist tax of 1 Euro per person per night. We work with a lot of online booking systems. In the past, some wanted a rate including the tourist tax and others without (but did mention it clearly on their site it had to be paid in the hotel). We have had numerous people booking on 1 platform and then cancelling and rebooking on another platform, because they thought they could save a Euro (=1.35 $). That is how much people select on price.

Why am I not the least bit surprised by this story;):rolleyes:

Some companies are looking at increasing the number os passenger with different seating configurations. Check out the seating configuration at the link below and ask yourself if this would be comfortable staring at someone for two hours or more.

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2009/9/8/134423/0616/travel/New+Airplane+Design+Proposes+Seating+Passengers+Face-To-Face

Some companies are looking at increasing the number os passenger with different seating configurations. Check out the seating configuration at the link below and ask yourself if this would be comfortable staring at someone for two hours or more.

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2009/9/8/134423/0616/travel/New+Airplane+Design+Proposes+Seating+Passengers+Face-To-Face

While not in this seat configuration, but I have been sitting on an airplane that had face to face seating and it was a tight configuration as well. I had to carefully "arrange" legs with my opposite.:eek:

I won´t mention the needed rain gear as it dropped from the ceiling, though:rolleyes:

On the return flight with the same airline I was seated in a "regular seat" and wished my face to face seat back. When trying to sit down my knees hit the front seat and got stuck already, while my a$$ hadn´t gone down to the seat yet:eek::eek:

The fees are horrible. Keep in mind how the weight will be different if you decide to make any purchases and bring those back with you. I hate driving far, but we've started making the 8 or 10 hour drives to the port. We saved at least $1,200 doing this in the fall. We didn't have the baggage fees, airline ticket cost, parking at our local airport and transportation to and from the port. That's almost enough to book another cruise.

I TOTALLY agree with you! On our cruise flights in December I could not believe how many people were taking regular full size suitcases on the plane as a 'carryon'. We paid to check 3 suitcases and yet many people were just taking their suitcases on the plane as carryon. As we were flying to Puerto Rico we had one of those huge planes with the extended overhead bins so MOST of the full size luggage actually fit (some just barely). I was infuriated as I thought of the money I spent to check bags that were the same size as these peoples 'carryons'. The bins were 'stuffed to the gill' with full size luggage while some with true smaller carryons struggled to find a place to store them. I hope all the airlines start charging for checked and carryons because that last flight was truly ridiculous.

Well, on Southwest bags do fly free (2 anyway). And they usually have the cheapest fares. Just an exceptionally well run and efficient operation.

Would have to argue that one with you...recently priced a trip on SW and Spirit. Spirit was 102/rt plus bags (since I'm a $9 mbr they're $15 ea). For the same thing Southwest was $207/rt. Guess who I'd book with?

Ryan Air is working on charging for using the rest room on flights under one hour.

SERIOUSLY???????????????????????? I am thinking we'll be taking more car trips in our near future. Enough is enough.

This is getting totally stupid...it's not like you're taking a 3 hour flight to the dentist....when you fly, you need LUGGAGE!

The solution is NOT TO FLY....do NOT spend money with these money-grubbing airlines!

If folks stop using their "service"...prices will drop, and they'll adjust their pricing.

We're still a "supply and demand" economy...STOP spending money with those who overcharge us! Simple!

I completely agree.If more people did this they would have to STOP. Supply and demand is becoming a thing of the past in our country.

Archived