Sheraton Weehawken after cruise

warmwinds

We'll be staying there one night after our cruise. What's the best way to get there from the Bayonne terminal? I don't think we want to pay for a car service, so I guess our only choice would be a NJ taxi? Any estimate as to what that will cost - it will be on a Sunday morning (and also a holiday - the 4th of July) - so not sure if that means the traffic will be lighter or heavier. Do any shuttles leave from the Bayonne terminal on disembarkation day? We really won't be in a hurry since we don't want to arrive at the hotel too too early since our room probably won't be ready anyway.

Car Service would be better than a cab. Taxi rates between NJ towns are not regulated, so a cab can charge you whatever. Better to prearrange a service and have an agreed upon price. My guess is it would be $50-60. Traffic would be negligible on a holiday Sunday morning.

There is also a Hudson-Bergen light rail option. Cab to the light rail station in Bayonne is $8 + tip. Light rail to Lincoln Harbor would be $1.90/pp and about 40 minutes with a platform change at Hoboken. The hotel is 2-3 blocks from the light rail station.

When you say the taxis are not regulated, does that mean they are also not metered? Do you negotiate a price before you get in?

I'll look into a car service, but I'm not sure I understand about the taxis. When I looked at the Sheraton website they give taxi information (but just from EWR) and it said around $35, so I thought it should be similar from the Bayonne terminal, maybe even a little less because it looks like more of a straight shot whereas the airport's further west.

When you say the taxis are not regulated, does that mean they are also not metered? Do you negotiate a price before you get in?

I'll look into a car service, but I'm not sure I understand about the taxis. When I looked at the Sheraton website they give taxi information (but just from EWR) and it said around $35, so I thought it should be similar from the Bayonne terminal, maybe even a little less because it looks like more of a straight shot whereas the airport's further west.

Rates for taxis leaving from the airport are regulated by the PANY&NJ, which operates the airport, not so rates from the cruise terminal. The hotel's estimate of $35 for a taxi from EWR appears to be too low. If you check the taxi rates at this link, you'll see that rates from EWR to Hoboken or Jersey City are $46 plus tolls and tip (Weehawken should be about the same fare):

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-taxi-car-van-service.html

PS: I just found a link to taxi fares from the cruise ship port, but it does not include any examples for other cities in NJ such as Weehawken:

http://www.bayonnelra.com/press/cab.pdf

Cabs are metered, but there is no FIXED price. It is what it is per the meter, but did you go the the more expensive toll way (which is longer miles, generally shorter time but has toll costs), up 440/1 & 9/Rt 3 or did the cab wind it's way through Jersey City/ Hoboken (which can eat up time and money fast).

The airport is slightly closer to the cruise terminal than Weehawken. You can probably negotiate a fixed price of $45-55 for car service plus tip. You may also want to call Secaucus Taxi. They have been doing everything in their power to keep rates as cheap as possible and WILL give you a fixed price to certain destinations. Secaucus taxi-(201) 866-7780

The tolls will vary as well. From Bayonne a cab can take the NJ turnpike from exit 14a to exit 14c and drive through the local Hoboken streets to the Sheraton in Weehawken. Or the cab could decide to go the long way around back out the turnpike to exit 14 and north to exit 16. We consistently recommend car services such as Black Executive on this forum so that cruisers get reliable and reasonable transportation. All the feedback indicates that the car services are very competitive pricewise with a random cab. You are hiring a car service, not a stretch limo. The car service knows the area and takes the traffic risk, which can be considerable and totally random at the most unexpected times.

I think you will do better with a car service since you will know the price from the beginning and you will LOVE that hotel on July 4th. If Macy's cooperates with a little luck you will have a great view of the Macy's July 4th fireworks. We live a couple of miles up the road. I will try to see if I can find you a reliable local car service name but I think the Sheraton should have a list.

I just found out a few days ago that the fireworks ARE supposed to be over the Hudson again this year, that's why we're doing it...

http://www.newyorkpops.org/explosions-of-harmony-macys-4th-of-july-fireworks-with-the-new-york-pops

Lucky coincidence for us that is the day our cruise arrives.

Thank you so much for the information on the taxis - we WILL book a car service, and we'll probably book the same one to take us back to EWR the next day. Not saying every hotel does this, but usually it costs a little more to use the hotel's recommendations because they need to add on their "spiff" for making the recommendation.

So I'd love a few names that would stay entirely in NJ so I can price compare - thanks.

Thanks, lots of good info there. We're staying in Manhattan before our cruise...so will it have to be a different company that crosses over than one that stays entirely in New Jersey? Since we'll have so many segments (EWR to Manhattan, M to cruise, cruise to Weehawken, W to EWR) I'm wondering if it's best to use the same company for everything.

You will have to call around and ask if there is any discount for using one service for all segments. I would doubt it, because two segments are NYC based and two are NJ based.

I used Dial 7out of NY to NJ quite a bit. Used to use Carmel, but they starting getting pretty shoddy on the service end.

I would call Secaucus Taxi for the NJ stuff because part of their company is operating more and more like a car service with fixed pricing and they are based not very far from Weehawken. Take a look at their website-lots of helpful hints on how to get the best transport fares. http://www.secaucustaxi.com/

Secaucus taxi-(201) 866-7780

You should definitely call the hotel ...I know they have a list of local recommendations for the car services you need. They have a large clientele of business travelers so they have a very good list of reliable affordable car services. There are quite a few companies that will set up the whole itinerary for you.

Archived