Solstice Gym / Exercise Question

blueboro

From what I remember, there is a walking track that is not obscured by loungers, as with M class ships. Nothing was more annoying on Millennium's upper sun deck as constant groups of walkers right by my lounger! I don't even remember seeing walkers on Solstice, so I think it's up there by the basketball court.. could be wrong!

Will be on Solstice 4/25. I know they have a state of the art gym with treadmills but do they also have an upper deck with a track for walking? Or is it like on other ships where loungers take up the track?

We circled the deck walking frequently on our January Solstice cruise. It's on the level above the pool, but there are lounges on either side of the track, at least in the pool area and at the head of the ship as I recall...I don't remember any of the lounges actually being in the pathway of the track.

Gym has more than just treadmills for cardio by the way, several bikes, elliptical machines and a few steppers. It's a very nice gym.

The track is only around the pool area and the building area which houses the mast bar & mast grill. It does not go around to the aft like on M-class. The area is a little wider than on M-class so loungers would have to be pulled out a little more to be in the way but on a busy pool day afternoon there will be some chairs out there, and some "traffic" as well. You're sharing this deck with people relaxing in the loungers, slowly strolling, bartenders selling drinks, etc.

Be patient and if you can't be then get up early to exercise or exercise very late when the area isn't used by others as much.

Look at the deck plans here:

deckplan_11.gif

We love the gym equipment on the S class ships .It is state of the art equipment. If some one needs to be educated on the proper use of the equipment I would recommend that they learn from a personal trainer at their own gym & get into a good work out routine. The benefits in doing this are many including saving a lot of money on a ship .

I assume the Solstice is just like the Equinox. The track on the Equinox is only around the pool area and you can't get as long a circuit as you can on the M class ships. And, as on the M class ships, it gets more crowded as the day progresses. You can extend the circuit on either end of the ship by climbing up a deck and continuing your walk fore and aft. It's a little dicey on a sea day if it is rough, but we managed to get in our 10,000 steps most days going around and around. It's one of our favorite activities on board a cruise ship. You can also walk on the promenade deck, but you can't make a full circuit - you can walk a long distance before you have to turn back and repeat. The gym is nice, but we'd rather walk outside. We can walk on a treadmill at home anytime we want.

I used the track one morning on the Solstice - about 6am and it was not crowded. There is nothing posted about the distance 1 lap is, but I was guessing approximately .2 mi/per lap. If you are a runner, I would not recommend trying to run on the track past mid-morning due to the congestion. I watched alot of runners on the track on sea days while lounging at the pool late morning to mid-day and they were constantly dodging people. It would have been too frustrating for me and I'm a morning person anyway. Nothing better than starting your day watching the sunrise :)

I used the track one morning on the Solstice - about 6am and it was not crowded. There is nothing posted about the distance 1 lap is, but I was guessing approximately .2 mi/per lap. If you are a runner, I would not recommend trying to run on the track past mid-morning due to the congestion. I watched alot of runners on the track on sea days while lounging at the pool late morning to mid-day and they were constantly dodging people. It would have been too frustrating for me and I'm a morning person anyway. Nothing better than starting your day watching the sunrise :)

I am a morning person as well and get up way before my husband does. I enjoy running very early in the morning and even more so when I am on a cruise. There is hardly anyone up, the ship is totally quiet, no one on the running track and it's still dark...(no need for sunscreen :))

I love running in the fresh, morning sea air and watching a gorgeous sunrise greet me as I finish my run.

Just returned from the Solstice yesterday. They have a really nice workout room - it was packed everytime I was in there. The track is on the deck above - along with the deck chairs. The best time to walk is between 7:30-8:30 am. Really good stretch class at 7:30 am (free). They offered several free wellness sessions (in the workout room) - really interesting to attend.

7AM works best with running - but making the aft turn is sharp and hard - you will have to move some chairs.

I don't recall the distance, but the Millennium Class ships have a track on the deck above the pool deck that circles the pool area. On that class ship you can continue your run around the whole aft section of the ship, which is a long distance. We walk - a lot - but don't run for exercise and don't know how that surface is for running - the oval above the pool is a non-slip surface and the rest is wood plank. If you are so inclined to can run up and down a flight of stairs and continue your run around the forward section. The crowded area would be the designated track area above the pool.

• 1 year later...

Archived