***Norovirus Press Release ICCL

LauraS

• Administrators

Royal Caribbean has asked that I post the following press release prepared and released by the International Council of Cruise Lines:

"

INCREASED REPORTS OF NOROVIRUS, KNOWN AS THE “STOMACH FLU,” ARE SEEN WORLDWIDE

International Council of Cruise Lines’ members prepared for increased incidents of norovirus and encourage everyone to exercise frequent hand washing to stay healthy

(ARLINGTON, Va.) January 25, 2005 – There is an increase in norovirus incidents across the country in hospitals, day care centers, nursing homes and schools, according to Dave Forney, chief of the Vessel Sanitation Program of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). With the reported increased number of norovirus cases on land, reported from Virginia to Colorado, Canada and Japan, the International Council of Cruise Lines (ICCL) has observed a corresponding increase in norovirus incidents on board cruise ships.

The CDC estimates that 23 million people in the United States every year contract norovirus, or 8 percent of the U.S. population. Annually, less than 1 percent of all cruise ship passengers have been affected by norovirus, however, the cruise lines encourage all people – cruise passengers or not – to practice good hygiene by washing one’s hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and warm water.

According to Forney, cruise lines have taken a leadership role in addressing norovirus, the second most prevalent illness in the United States behind the common cold. “Cruise ships have rigorous protocols and procedures in place to manage and eradicate transmission of norovirus,” Forney said. “In addition to being held to the highest sanitation standards in the world, cruise lines have worked meticulously and effectively to actually break the cycle of transmission during most cruises, which requires a lot of effort and expertise.”

Rigorous procedures are in place to disinfect and sanitize public areas including door handles, railings and elevator buttons. Passengers are encouraged to wash their hands frequently and hand-sanitizers are offered on some ships. Passengers are encouraged to minimize their contact with others during the period when the illness is likely to be passed on.

“We want to educate passengers as to measures they can take to effectively prevent this temporary but uncomfortable condition,” said Michael Crye, president of the ICCL. “The most preventative measure people can take is washing their hands frequently. If they are experiencing symptoms, they should follow the medical staff’s recommendations to prevent the spread of illness.”

Symptoms of the illness include diarrhea, vomiting and stomach cramps and may last from one to two days. The most common way of transmission is through person-to-person contact.

“ICCL member cruise lines identify the safety and well-being of their passengers and crew as their highest priority,” said Crye. All ICCL member lines are part of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) and are required to report each incidence of gastrointestinal illness.

“The reason you hear about norovirus on cruise ships is because they are required to report every incidence of gastrointestinal illness,” Forney said. “Nowhere else in the public health system of the United States is norovirus a reportable illness.”

“Norovirus is not a cruise-ship illness, but an illness commonly seen in many settings throughout the United States,” Forney noted.

For tips on how to stay healthy on your cruise vacation, more information on norovirus and proper hand washing techniques, please visit the CDC Web site at www.cdc.gov or the Vessel Sanitation Program’s Web site at www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp. If you are experiencing norovirus symptoms prior to your cruise, contact the cruise line prior to sailing to see if there are alternative cruising options.

# # #

The International Council of Cruise Lines (ICCL) represents the interests of 16 passenger cruise lines that call on major ports in the United States and abroad. ICCL member lines include: Carnival Cruise Lines; Celebrity Cruises; Costa Cruise Line N.V.; Crystal Cruises; Cunard Line; Disney Cruise Line; Holland America Line; NCL America; Norwegian Cruise Line; Orient Lines; Princess Cruises; Radisson Seven Seas Cruises; Royal Caribbean International; Seabourn Cruise Line, Silversea Cruises; and Windstar Cruises. These vessels account for approximately 90% of the North American passenger cruise line industry.

Link to International Council of Cruise Lines Website

Cruise line admits to 257 sick but that does not include the people who did not report to sick bay. Many people seeing that others were quarantined for 3 days simply did not report to the doctor. I extimate at least 1,000 people were sick and one person passed away on the ship. I believe he was part of the group of 64 cruising from Sun City Hilton Head in SC. I do not know details but the damage control by RCCL is extensive and they are doing their best to "widen the circle:, a technique used when one is severely criticized and would like to include others. :(

Cruise line admits to 257 sick but that does not include the people who did not report to sick bay. Many people seeing that others were quarantined for 3 days simply did not report to the doctor. I extimate at least 1,000 people were sick and one person passed away on the ship. I believe he was part of the group of 64 cruising from Sun City Hilton Head in SC. I do not know details but the damage control by RCCL is extensive and they are doing their best to "widen the circle:, a technique used when one is severely criticized and would like to include others. :(

Oh my God that is awful. My condolences to the family of the individual who passed away. Do we have any idea how the folks made out that arrived back yesterday? Hopefully it was a healthy and happy cruise.

Laura thanks so much for poting this. I work in a hospital and our ER has been overflowing with people with "stomach flu" not even close to a port, but tis hard to get people to understand its not a ship only illness

okatie jack Do you possibly have a link to a story or anything about

"at least 1,000 people were sick and one person passed away on the ship."

or atleast some sort of confirmation. I try to trust everyone but need to verify something as 'newsworthy' as this. I also fully undestand that the Cruise linnes are adept at damage control. For sure if I was thinking I'd get quarrentined, I'd try to stay away from the infirmary.

were you actually ON this sailing?

THANX!

I'm also concerned about this. Especially with the insinuation (which may be true) of the one death being from Norovirus. It isn't all that unusual to have someone pass on a cruise ship. It may be more unusual for that passing to be from Norovirus, if that is actually the cause in this case.

jmo

-Monte

okatie jack Do you possibly have a link to a story or anything about

"at least 1,000 people were sick and one person passed away on the ship."

or atleast some sort of confirmation. I try to trust everyone but need to verify something as 'newsworthy' as this. I also fully undestand that the Cruise linnes are adept at damage control. For sure if I was thinking I'd get quarrentined, I'd try to stay away from the infirmary.

were you actually ON this sailing?

THANX!

Several papers covered the 250 or so sick but IMO they did not go far enough since there were way more than 250 sick. It is interesting that the cruise line says it was a typical 24 hour flu but quarantines both people in cabin for 72 hours. I think this is a ploy to stop reporting of illnesses which is exactly what happened. Out of my group of 64 there were at least 20 people sick with two having to go on IV. One passed away but I am not sure this was from the illness or a result of the illness. This still has to be determined. Many did not report being sick since they did not want to be quarnantined. Of course this all was a result of a passenger bringing the illness onto the ship which I do not believe for a minute. When was the last time they washed the bed spreads and not once during my cruise did they even change the sheets. :eek:

Of course this all was a result of a passenger bringing the illness onto the ship which I do not believe for a minute. When was the last time they washed the bed spreads and not once during my cruise did they even change the sheets. :eek:

So you have never heard of people taking back to back cruises, maybe on different ships. Very possible to "bring it over" from one ship to another.

How do you know they did not chage your sheets. Did you make a stain that did not go away or move from one corner to another?????? I would think if 1/3 of a ship was ill then I would assume that 1/3 of the staff would be ill, see much staff around, or was it more like a ghost town?????Which ship were you on, and what was your sailing date. I have contacts in the cruise industry and can verify your statements if you can verify your ship/dates

Several papers covered the 250 or so sick but IMO they did not go far enough since there were way more than 250 sick. It is interesting that the cruise line says it was a typical 24 hour flu but quarantines both people in cabin for 72 hours. I think this is a ploy to stop reporting of illnesses which is exactly what happened. Out of my group of 64 there were at least 20 people sick with two having to go on IV. One passed away but I am not sure this was from the illness or a result of the illness. This still has to be determined. Many did not report being sick since they did not want to be quarnantined. Of course this all was a result of a passenger bringing the illness onto the ship which I do not believe for a minute. When was the last time they washed the bed spreads and not once during my cruise did they even change the sheets. :eek:

they didn't change the sheets? of course not, ships as well as hotel stopped this silly changing of sheets every day or so years ago. Do you change your sheets at home every day or so? Did anyone other than you sleep in your bed while on your cruise? You said many of your group did not go to the doctors as they didn't want to be quarantined, ever dawn on you that helps spread the virus? I, for one do believe the virus often starts with a passenger knowingly or otherwise bringing the germs onto the ship; This, certainly isn't the only way it spreads, but it's one way. It is also my humble opinion and that is what my opinion is, that this bug does last only a day or so as a rule. Sure there are cases of it lasting much longer: even one day is long enough. If you don't think it is carried on by passengers and you are concerned about the changing of sheets, are you indicating you believe the ships are dirty? i would hope not. NMNita

Does anybody know how long the virus will stick around. Is it "flu season" on the cruise ships and then by the 1st of March it starts letting up. We are cruising mid-March, first time cruisers, so I was just wondering.

This bug does seem to be worse in winter like any othe flu and for some reason late summer into early fall. Just do your best to keep your hands as clean as possible; that's 1/2 the battle right there. Enjoy your cruise and don't let this worry you too much. Again, the majority of cruisers have never contacted any virus from cruising. Probably flying is about, if not worse.

NMNita

they didn't change the sheets? of course not, ships as well as hotel stopped this silly changing of sheets every day or so years ago. Do you change your sheets at home every day or so? Did anyone other than you sleep in your bed while on your cruise? You said many of your group did not go to the doctors as they didn't want to be quarantined, ever dawn on you that helps spread the virus? I, for one do believe the virus often starts with a passenger knowingly or otherwise bringing the germs onto the ship; This, certainly isn't the only way it spreads, but it's one way. It is also my humble opinion and that is what my opinion is, that this bug does last only a day or so as a rule. Sure there are cases of it lasting much longer: even one day is long enough. If you don't think it is carried on by passengers and you are concerned about the changing of sheets, are you indicating you believe the ships are dirty? i would hope not. NMNita

If you saw the crew going around with spray bottles of bleach and shampooing the rugs and doctors with masks running around the ship, your friends in the sick bay on IV, you would not think the changing of sheets is "silly" frivolous. And yes Nita, we do change our sheets daily when someone in our home is sick with a contagous virus. It amazes me just how adept the cruise lines are in damage control. Reading some replies like these from Nita give you some idea just how effective it is. I did not come on this board for any other reason than to inform passengers what was going on with the particular Western Carib cruise I was on (1/16/05). Please do not attack the messenger. Finally, your "humble opinion" about a medical problem is not important to me. The safety of the passengers is my main concern.

This bug does seem to be worse in winter like any othe flu and for some reason late summer into early fall. Just do your best to keep your hands as clean as possible; that's 1/2 the battle right there. Enjoy your cruise and don't let this worry you too much. Again, the majority of cruisers have never contacted any virus from cruising. Probably flying is about, if not worse.

NMNita

Nita: I do not thnk you are qualified to give medical advice to anyone. Are you a doctor?

So you have never heard of people taking back to back cruises, maybe on different ships. Very possible to "bring it over" from one ship to another.

How do you know they did not chage your sheets. Did you make a stain that did not go away or move from one corner to another?????? I would think if 1/3 of a ship was ill then I would assume that 1/3 of the staff would be ill, see much staff around, or was it more like a ghost town?????Which ship were you on, and what was your sailing date. I have contacts in the cruise industry and can verify your statements if you can verify your ship/dates

My estimate comes from the fact that 1/3rd of our group of 64 was sick and many did not go to sick bay since the Captain quarantined both husband and wife in the cabin for 72 hours if any illness is reported. Some were so sick they had no choice. IMO the quarantine policy cuts down severely on the number of reported incidents. Many of my fellow passengers also felt this way. BTW there is NO WAY they can possibly disenfect the ship in the short time they have to turnaround passengers coming on for another cruise.

I was on the cruise to Western Carib on 1/16/05. Please do check it out and post your reply.

Thanks

Jack

Nita: I do not thnk you are qualified to give medical advice to anyone. Are you a doctor?

my or my, do we get upset easy? As for giving advise, I really don't think I gave any or that was my intention: someone asked about when the virus usually hits and gave them the normal time frame. It that is giving medical advise so be it.

NMNita

they didn't change the sheets? of course not, ships as well as hotel stopped this silly changing of sheets every day or so years ago. Do you change your sheets at home every day or so? Did anyone other than you sleep in your bed while on your cruise? You said many of your group did not go to the doctors as they didn't want to be quarantined, ever dawn on you that helps spread the virus? I, for one do believe the virus often starts with a passenger knowingly or otherwise bringing the germs onto the ship; This, certainly isn't the only way it spreads, but it's one way. It is also my humble opinion and that is what my opinion is, that this bug does last only a day or so as a rule. Sure there are cases of it lasting much longer: even one day is long enough. If you don't think it is carried on by passengers and you are concerned about the changing of sheets, are you indicating you believe the ships are dirty? i would hope not.

NMNita

They don't change the sheets?:eek: I am sorry but that's disgusting. I guess I will be bringing my own sheets.

I have read that the virus has hit some Holland America ships. What other ships have had this virus in the last couple of weeks. Anybody out there know?

There is a long thread on Celebrity about a GI bug that has all the same symptoms as Noro or Norwalk. I know because I got it on my Oct. 31 - Nov. 6 sailing. Very painful stomach cramps, over 15 episodes of diarrhea, and vomiting over 12 hours, then slight fever, aching, fatigue, and relapses of diarrhea over the next 3 days, and again a week later at home. Xpedition doesn't have to report to CDC so has not gone through the vessel sanitation protocol that HAL and other Celebrity ships have. Passengers are trying to protect themselves but until the pathogen is completely cleaned from the ship, the cycle keeps repeating.

Changing sheets...right up my alley. If I have clean sheets on day one of a 7 day cruise, I am fine for the duration. I change my sheets once a week at home and I can certainly go a week on a ship. And if I became ill during that week I can't see where a change of sheets (unless they needed it of course!) would be a cure!

On a recent 12 night Celebrity cruise my sheets were not changed once. How do I know!? I noticed a small 'old' stain in a corner that was there the entire cruise. Yes, this bothered me. I wrote and told them that I thought one change for that length cruise should be a must whether requested or not!! Mid way through the cruise my husband and I had a sheet discussion. He said that if it bothered me I should find our steward and ask him to change them. I opted to 'wait it out' and see what happened..nothing. One problem is that you never see them! You leave early and come back to a made-up room. Any way, I just thought it was kind of tacky.

This is neither here nor there as regards this thread, just want to point out that sheets are SELDOM changed during a cruise unless they appear to really need it or unless you ask specifically!!

Archived