I'm really discouraged...plateau

MamaParrotHead

OK, I am getting all of my water in. I have started a spreadsheet that I am traking all food/calorie consumption. I am being kept honest on this as I am also tracking for my husband and daughter. My daughter really looks it over, so there is another level of accountability that is helpful. Lots less likely to cheat even a little.

As far as the exercise goes, I am truly not up to speed yet on that one. But hey one baby step after another. I have gotten out for walks and I have really been trying to take the stairs at work. So I guess the next step will be to more regularly get some exercise in the schedule.

I already feel alot better and can imagine the energy level will only keep going up. I hope my husband can keep up with me. We have what is commonly known as a Dec/May relationship. If I get to spry he will just have to start working out also.

Thanks for all the tips, advise, encouragement and hope. You guys are the best.

Hi all

The weight loss spreadsheet I use was pretty complicated to create, but it's very easy to use now that it's all set up. It took me a while (months) to refine it last time I lost weight. It has 3 sheets.

Sheet 1 - weight (I weigh in every 2 weeks), broken down into: lbs lost, % of original weight lost, BMI (body mass index), body fat %, average lbs lost per week, cholesterol level. All this data creates a graph - a great visual!

Sheet 2 - exercise. I broke down into several types: aerobics/step, walking, bike/ellipse, weights, yoga/pilates. There's a total for each day, & a formula that computes average daily exercise over the previous 28 days. This creates a pretty graph, too. And the number/graph line I pay most attention to is the avg daily exercise.

Sheet 3 - long term weight. I researched thru my doctors, chiropractor, and other sources, my weight fluctuations over the last 20 years or so to get an idea of "where I've been". This also makes a graph, & it was very shocking to me the first time I plugged in the numbers & saw in the graph how much I have yo-yoed over the years.

I know this all seems very "anal", but part of my creating this spreadsheet was an "exercise" in learning how to make charts & graphs in excel, & it took a while for me to get it to this level -- adding info, formulas & graph lines as I went along.

I'd be willing to share it with anyone interested, but I don't know how!

I learned a lesson that I have heard preached for years and ignored -- "Meal planning". That has always been my downfall. I never put any effort into planning ahead for meals and found myself falling into that routine of eating the same thing night after night and then quickly tiring of the diet and giving up.

With my Husband and Daughter dieting with me, I have found that I am putting a lot of effort into keeping the dinner options different, enjoyable and staying within out limits. It hit me like a ton of bricks at the store yesterday. I was actually excited to be planning dinner. That is when I realized why this was such an important part of any successful diet plan. I think this is the first time in my LIFE that I haven't ended up eating a salad for dinner, because I couldn't quickly decide on anything else that I could have. The truth was, my options were usually unlimited and I was just too lazy to put any effort in it. Being successful in changing your eating habits is just as complicated as learning a foreign language. You get out of it what you put into it!!!

So, for all of those out there that are not currently putting any effort in this area of your diet program...learn from the dumb. It will make a big difference and truly help you stay on plan and on program. No matter what diet you are following.

I was so happy to see such a positive thread. I too have stated WW in Jan - So far I have lost 7 lbs. I have been trying to lose weight for about 3 years now. I am down about a total of 30-40 lbs and 6 sizes. I find the portion control was my biggest issue and I didn't even know it - Who would have thougth 2 cookies and 8 oz of milk as a serving. LOL

I have also joined curves and was able to work out even with a foot injury. The inches are melting off.

I have 33 days to my cruise and I hope to lose another 7-10 lbs before I leave.

Wish me luck!!

Debbie

PS I also quit smoking and my BP dropped to 106/76 from 126/86

sharonella - I don't think you are at all "anal" about your spreadsheets! I think it's a wonderful idea!! I use one just for weight, but I also use fitday.com for logging in what I eat and how much exercise I do everyday. I am the only one that sees it, but it keeps me on track.

rdrseller - Meal planning is soooooo important! Again, I use fitday.com to plan my meals and snacks. I think planning ahead is a main key to weight management. Without it I would tend to graze and cheat "just a bit" which we all know adds many, many calories.

Debbie - I'm glad you found this board too. It's a wonderful group of people dedicated to improving their eating habits and getting back to healthy eating and weight management. Even after your cruise, stay with us. We're here for you!

Lynn

Way to go rdrseller!

And you're not "dumb"! :p It just goes to show that EVERYONE has to find their own motivations & things that get them excited. Anyone who thinks that they can just "do" someone else's diet & exercise routine is doomed to fail. While the basic good diet includes healthy portions of all sorts of foods, & regular exercise, what exactly works for me won't exactly work for you.

That said, meal planning has worked well for me also, but in a different way. Part of my "thing" is to stick to a few "basics" during the day. I don't eat breakfast at home - basically I get up, dress & go to work, then I eat breakfast at my desk. What I pack in my bag every day is: 1 can Slimfast, 4 slices nofat-lofat &/or soy cheese, 2 pcs fruit, 1 cup nofat yogurt. I have a "tub" of soy nuts in my desk to add a sm handful to the yogurt, as well as a few slimfast or other "healthy" bars in my desk for "emergencies". [Note - check out the Saturated Fat content in these bars, the "high protein" ones especially are sky high.]

So I get a little more creative w/ supper & weekends -- we grill a lot, even in winter, which makes EVERYTHING taste better! Salmon, chicken, lean pork, corn on the cob, asparagus, brussels sprouts, squash, etc. And we cook brown rice w/chicken broth in the rice cooker. And our salads can include stuff like: artichoke hearts, baby corn, canned beets, black olives, etc. (think salad bar, but no cheese or hi fat dressings!)

I have a plateau problem also. At the end of the summer of 2004, i achieved my 6 pack. Then i continued to intake less than 1500 cals a day and did 1 hr of biking at least 5 days a week (i weighed 136, 5'8" age 16) till November and i was around 5% body fat. Now Im back to around 9% and 140 lbsand my 6 pack does not show. The last 3 weeks I have intaken approximately 1500 cals a day, with 1hr of bikin 5 days a week and weight training every other day. My body fat level has not dropped and im still at 140 lbs. What do I do???

Thanks

Alex Nguyen

Maybe PaulMedik could post to your situation, he seems to be the most knowledgable. However, I have often read and heard that you should break up your routine. Your body has adjusted to it. Maybe take in some extra calories for a few days, to jump start your metabolism. What ever you do, don't give up.

Alex - Paul does seem to have a lot of knowledge in this area, so perhaps he will pop in here soon to answer you. Congratulations in wanting to tone out your body and being so aware of healthy habits so early in life. One factor in your situation may be your age, however. I know that your body is undergoing numerous transformations in your teens and will continue to do so for several more years. It could be that it is readjusting itself. Also, 1500 calories a day at your age and with your level of activity sounds rather low. How much protein are you getting everyday? I would suggest not only counting calories, but evaluate where they come from as well.

Lynn

I really try to eat healthy. I intake usually 90-110 grams of protein a day. My bench max is currently 225 ( and i weigh 138-140) I also know and am aware that my intake is significantly low. I should be intaking around 2600-2800 a day to maintain body weight with my current workout, but unfortunately when i started out i was ill informed and tried to starve myself so i was wondering if i increase my cal intake to normal will i gain fat or will my metabolism rise back to where it is suppose to be.THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT

LOL Perhaps we should start an "Ask Paul" thread.

The new dietary guideline are just out. They are recommending that if you want to lose weight that you should be exercising an hour and a half a day. At least that is what I heard from two different sources. I haven't seen the guidelines in writing yet.

Anyway is it better to break up the exercise into three 1/2 hour sets or do it all at once. I have heard that it is more effective to break up the exercise into 2 or 3 sets instead of one long one. Brekaing it up is suppose to make your body's metabolism increase more than if you do it in one set. True? False?

I have also heard that you are burning the fat after a half an hour of exercise, so that it when it does the most good. So is that true or false?

So, if both are true which is more productive if you want to lose the weight to increase the metabolism or to burn the fat?

Thanks

Deb

First, Queer Strnager, it is never good to take in less than you need. You should definately increase your intake. That will greatly benefit your metabolism. It really won't matter how much you exercise, if your body doesn't have the fuel storage to handle it the metabolism will slow down so low that you will not really see a benefit.

Now Deb, both are true. When you get to the 30 minute mark, your metabolism does kick in and start burning fuel. The first choise of fuel is FAT. If you continue past the 30 minutes, then of course you will benefit from that. However, if you exercise for 30 minutes and start your body to burning fuel 3x's a day. You will also see a hugh benefit from that. It really comes down to if you have the time that you can fit it in your schedule 3 different times a day or if you can only get it in once. Basically, which ever fits your schedule is best for you.

Now for the overweight and out of shape group (that would be me) to begin you will see the most benefit from the 3x a day. Not to mention that if you are like me, I can't exercise for much longer than the 30 minutes yet with out becoming extremely tired.

See, pick the one that works for you and you will benefit.

Remember, to little is not good and to much is not good. You have to get a healthy balance of intake and outake.

Keep up the good work everyone.

MJ

I've been exercising doing aerobic activity 5 days a week for 45 minutes. Three days a week, I do strength training such as crunches, push ups, upper body using hand weights, and squats. So far, my upper body is progressing nicely and I can finally see some muscle showing through the fat. However, my lower body, except for my calves, are not showing any progress at all. I'm getting really discouraged. If anyone has any tips for me, please let me know. Also, I've been on South Beach for a while now and I'm not losing any weight. Believe it or not though, I could care less if I lose another pound as long as my body is toned. TIA!

I have a plateau problem also. At the end of the summer of 2004, i achieved my 6 pack. Then i continued to intake less than 1500 cals a day and did 1 hr of biking at least 5 days a week (i weighed 136, 5'8" age 16) till November and i was around 5% body fat. Now Im back to around 9% and 140 lbsand my 6 pack does not show. The last 3 weeks I have intaken approximately 1500 cals a day, with 1hr of bikin 5 days a week and weight training every other day. My body fat level has not dropped and im still at 140 lbs. What do I do???

Thanks

Alex Nguyen

Alex:

Alex:

Good job on your aggressive workout plan!

First lets get some perspective on your present % body fat v your goal; Basically you weigh 140lbs and want to loose 4% of your body fat, which translates to five and a half pounds. Burning 5.5 pounds requires a 19,250 calorie deficit on your part. (3,500 x 5.5)

Now comes the tricky part; Your body has adjusted to your intake of 1500 calories per day by essentially hybernating when you're not active. Assuming you have a deficit of 300 calories per day below your 1500 calorie normal intake, you will loose a pound of fat every 12 days. If you are 300 calories over one day and 300 calories under the next, then you'll maintain the status quo and not gain nor loose. 300 calories is, to most people, absolutely NOTHING. You can consume 300 calories and not even realize it. I don't like suggesting religious calorie counting, but you're going to need an exact diary of your intake to avoid the casual snack that puts you over your daily max.

Do you eat three five hundred calorie meals per day? If so, divide it up differently and eat five three hundred calorie meals to keep your body from hybernating. Doing so will increase your metabolism over a greater amount of time and will consume more calories perhaps creating a deficit.

Exactly how many carbs are you eating per day? Assume you are eating 150 carbs per day, which is less than half of what most people eat; If you can cut back to 75 carbs per day, you'll create a 300 calorie per day deficit providing you don't substantially increase your fat and protein intake. Will removing 75 carbs and maintaining 1500 calories intake result in fat loss? Yes. Simply because you'll be increasing your metabolism to break down the fat and protein, and your body won't have the carbs available to hybernate. Breaking down fat and protein actually requires more calories than breaking down carbs which is why your body utilizes carbs for energy first. If your goal is long term, then you can simply decrease your carbs in such a manner and achieve your goal. You can determine your new daily metabolic requirement by measuring your body fat loss over a 30 day period and correlating it with your intake diary over that same period. You can then calculate how long it will take you to reach your 5.5 lb total goal. If you wish to accelerate your loss to the maximum, you can decrease your carb intake to 25 or less per day and your protein and fat intake will be consumed first and your carb intake will, essentially, be used to convert existing body fat into fuel. If you generate a 600 calorie per day deficit with this carb intake, you'll meet your goal in ~32 days (19250 / 600). A 300 calorie deficit would take ~64 days using the same formula.

Be sure and account for any carbs you pick up in chewing gum, breath fresheners, life savers etc. Your intake diary will need to be near 100% accurate to accomplish your aggressive goal.

I would also suggest that you step back and look at what your goal is and recognize that you aren't at a plateau; Your goal is more of a body sculpting issue which requires a mindset of 'I will,' as opposed to 'I can.' You need to visualize yourself exactly where you wish to be and not dwell on any minor daily deviance. Count those calories and add them or subtract them from your 19250 calorie goal, but do not loose sight of that goal by concentrating on any one day.

Also look at your workout routine; Are you concentrating enough on your abs to increase their size? You can't just work them; you must stress them by increasing the resistance with each successive day. Given that you have five pounds covering your abs, you will definately begin seeing a difference by increasing their bulk via increased resistance in your workout. Obviously you are concentrating on aerobic workouts, which everyone needs, but aerobic workouts will tone muscle as opposed to increasing muscle bulk. Toned muscle is excellent for walking around and functioning, but you're more into display so get that resistance in there. You'll be able to tell your increased ab workout resistance is working when your pants fit tighter; I know that's not your goal, but until the padding over the abs is removed, you'll definately have tighter pants.

I really try to eat healthy. I intake usually 90-110 grams of protein a day. My bench max is currently 225 ( and i weigh 138-140) I also know and am aware that my intake is significantly low. I should be intaking around 2600-2800 a day to maintain body weight with my current workout, but unfortunately when i started out i was ill informed and tried to starve myself so i was wondering if i increase my cal intake to normal will i gain fat or will my metabolism rise back to where it is suppose to be.THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT

Hi Alex

I don't think you have a plateau problem, I think you have a "starvation" problem. My personal, unmedical opinion, as a person who has yo-yoed, dieted, exercised, etc, on & off for about 30 years, is that your body's metabolism is shutting down because you are taking in way too few calories, AND your body is totally used to your current workout regimen.

My 2 recommendations: INCREASE your calorie intake closer to a "maintenace level" AND change around your workout by substituting something "new" at least 2x week to challenge your muscles. Don't panic if your weight goes up a couple of pounds. It should stabilize once your body finally realizes it's not starving any more. To me, 5% body fat is an unrealistic and very difficult level to maintain. Unless you are trying to be a body builder and working out with a professional trainer, I personally think you are trying to go too far. Your body needs some fat on it to function properly. If you eat healthy amounts of healthy foods, you shouldn't gain fat, if you continue to work out. And eating healthy means a good mix of protein AND carbs AND fats from real food. No protein "body building" shakes. No "low carb" stuff. You need meat and vegetables and fruits and whole grains and dairy. Every day.

It might be worth it to connect with a trainer at your gym for a few sessions, to get you on the right track in varying your workout regimen. And if your trainer is really knowledgable, s/he should be able to steer you in the right direction for food intake, also. If s/he seems only willing to try to sell you the gym's protein shakes or other supplements, that's NOT the advice/help you need. Eating a diet high in protein & low in carb DOES NOT increase muscle mass -- weight bearing exercise does. You need the proper mix of all sorts of foods to build up and maintain your muscles, not just protein.

You don't say how old you are and how tall you are, if you don't mind my asking. It may also be they you're trying to maintain too low a weight for your height, which would add to the "starvation" slow-metabolism problem.

To sum it up - Since you have attained what you feel is your "proper weight" your focus should now be on maintenance -- how you should eat, live and work out for the rest of your life -- to stay where you are, within a few pounds. And I think that once your metabolism straightens itself out, you'll be able to re-sculpt your six-pack abs to their former glory!

Keep us posted on your progress !

Just wanted to share my good news. I lost 2.6 lbs this week for a total of 8.8 lbs in 5 weeks. Really gives me a boast to reach my goal of 15-20 by my cruise in March. Only problem is if I lose anymore weight none of my cruise cloths will fit right and I will have to go shopping! LOL!! 6 more lbs and I will be at my lowest weight in almost 12 years. I think I will go to curves today and workout - It is a high when you step on the scale and see such a big loss.

I've been exercising doing aerobic activity 5 days a week for 45 minutes. Three days a week, I do strength training such as crunches, push ups, upper body using hand weights, and squats. So far, my upper body is progressing nicely and I can finally see some muscle showing through the fat. However, my lower body, except for my calves, are not showing any progress at all. I'm getting really discouraged. If anyone has any tips for me, please let me know. Also, I've been on South Beach for a while now and I'm not losing any weight. Believe it or not though, I could care less if I lose another pound as long as my body is toned. TIA!

Hi Sheila --

Way to go so far!

You may need to start using weight machines for your lower body -- leg presses, etc. You can't count on aerobics & step class to tone your lower body once your body has gotten "used to" the routines. Or you could try alternating your aerobics sessions with spin class or riding your own bike!

good luck!

Sharonella, thanks for the input. I'm not a member of a gym so I have to workout on my own with the equipment I have. I ordered three new workout DVD's and an incline thingy that is suppose to work your lower body. Hopefully, that will help. I've lifted weights in the past but my doctor made me quit due to my back. Now the strength training that I do is on a stability ball.

Sharonella, thanks for the input. I'm not a member of a gym so I have to workout on my own with the equipment I have. I ordered three new workout DVD's and an incline thingy that is suppose to work your lower body. Hopefully, that will help. I've lifted weights in the past but my doctor made me quit due to my back. Now the strength training that I do is on a stability ball.

If you're regularly using a stability ball, maybe your "core" has developed to a point where you can try weights again without stressing your back. That said, I go back to my original recommendation of bicycling (stationary or "real"). I use the bike at the gym now (along with ellipse & treadmill for variation), and am dying for the good weather so I can bring my bike out again. (I'm not fit enough to try the spin classes yet -- they look brutal, but everyone who does them seems to love them!)

And there's "tons" of leg exercises you can do to work on your thighs & glutes. I just flipped thru a huge stack of old "Fitness", "Shape" and "Prevention" magazines I had been saving & finally clipped out all the exercises & recipes I liked. If you don't subscribe to any of those magazines, go to the library & photocopy the exercises that focus on the lower body. Of course, your new DVDs probably have them all.

I applaud you for having the motivation to work out on your own. I need the additional "push" of having that monthly gym payment to get me up & out every day. And I am kind of limited in space to exercise at home -- not impossible, but difficult.

Just wanted to share my good news. I lost 2.6 lbs this week for a total of 8.8 lbs in 5 weeks. Really gives me a boast to reach my goal of 15-20 by my cruise in March. Only problem is if I lose anymore weight none of my cruise cloths will fit right and I will have to go shopping! LOL!! 6 more lbs and I will be at my lowest weight in almost 12 years. I think I will go to curves today and workout - It is a high when you step on the scale and see such a big loss.

quiltingandcruising:

Congrats on your loss!

You don't say how old you are and how tall you are, if you don't mind my asking. It may also be they you're trying to maintain too low a weight for your height, which would add to the "starvation" slow-metabolism problem.

To sum it up - Since you have attained what you feel is your "proper weight" your focus should now be on maintenance -- how you should eat, live and work out for the rest of your life -- to stay where you are, within a few pounds. And I think that once your metabolism straightens itself out, you'll be able to re-sculpt your six-pack abs to their former glory!

Keep us posted on your progress !

Sharonella:

I made a few assumptions in my post to Alex.

My first assumption was that he was male given his stated 'ideal' caloric intake for his 5'8" 140 pound body.

I also assumed that he's 17 years old. 17 year old males (I used to be one) are more concerned with appearance than long term weight management. Hence my conclusion that he wanted to sculpt as opposed to loose weight.

I debated quite a while before posting because he will be near the threshold that will cause catabolism (Breakdown of existing protein for fuel) but I also assume that his intake diary will reveal more calories than the average of 1500. In the end, I also assumed that he was going to go for his goal regardless so I opted to advise him of a method that will work. I definately wouldn't recommend that anyone other than a teen attempt such a goal without close professional supervision.

Excellent post on your part, by the way! For you and I, your advice is much closer to what we realistically need to do.

Paul post 61 was directed to you. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Thanks Deb

Deb:

Sorry, I missed that.

The new dietary guideline are just out. They are recommending that if you want to lose weight that you should be exercising an hour and a half a day. At least that is what I heard from two different sources. I haven't seen the guidelines in writing yet.

Anyway is it better to break up the exercise into three 1/2 hour sets or do it all at once. I have heard that it is more effective to break up the exercise into 2 or 3 sets instead of one long one. Brekaing it up is suppose to make your body's metabolism increase more than if you do it in one set. True? False?

The new dietary guidlines are much better than the old guidelines and more realistic in their application to the general public. In most cases the new guidelines only call for one half hour of exercise per day. You will find some variations in some 'official' documentation. Click here for the USDA dietary guidelines website.

If you do choose to work out for an hour and a half each day, I would recommend breaking the workouts into three intervals, if possible, which will definately maximize your fat burning. For your early morning workout, make sure you are well hydrated in advance and take time to stretch and warm up prior to beginning to exercise. Keep in mind that your cholesterol levels are at their highest when you first wake up, therefore your blood is thicker and less hydrated at the same time; hence the majority of MIs occur upon waking.

I have also heard that you are burning the fat after a half an hour of exercise, so that it when it does the most good. So is that true or false?

So, if both are true which is more productive if you want to lose the weight to increase the metabolism or to burn the fat?

You do continue to burn fat at an accelerated rate for an average of one half hour after you exercise. This is true because your metabolic rate is increased by the increased heart rate, increased blood circulation, increased 02 & C02 exchange thoughout your body, and your intestinal blood supply is diverted to other areas of the body allowing for less uptake of calories from the intestines. You'll still pick up water from your intestines but without the fats that may be there as well. So you can, essentially, look at it as both increasing your metabolism, thus burning more fat, and avoiding conversion of dietary fat to stored fat, simply by exercising.

I think your question is more along the lines of 'when do I begin burning fat when I'm exercising?' The answer would be; You begin burning stored fat when your available carbs, from your diet, are exhausted. In other words, if you have carbs in your GI tract, you will burn them first, then you'll begin burning stored sources of fuel such as fat.

Sharonella, thanks for taking the time to help me.:) I assure you my core is not strong enough yet. I live with pain every day from my left hip down to my toes (sciatic nerve is being pressed by bulging discs). At times, I can't even bend over without intense pain. So, I do what I can with my situation. I do have a nice bike that DH bought me a few years ago. I need to get new tubes in the tires though, but I plan on getting it out soon. My neighborhood is very hilly so it would be great exercise. Thanks so much for your suggestions and encouragement. It really means a lot. :D

Archived