I'm really discouraged...plateau

MamaParrotHead

RDR seller,

Welcome to the group. I have lost 34 lbs since last August. I hit a rough patch during Christmas like most of us did. I think that I would have gained a lot more if weren't for some of the people on these threads. It took a while for me to get back on track after Christmas, but I am very motivated that this time. I cruise on June the 7th to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary and that is part of my motivation.

I was the carbo queen. There were very few carbohydrates that I didn't like. I am on the South Beach diet. I joined a gym a long time ago but started going again in Sept. I still have more to lose, but it is a day by day choice. The SB diet doesn't leave me feeling like I am starving.

Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing. Good or bad.

Deb

With all that said, I am glad that these post are here. You guys are better than any support group I have ever sat with. You’re honest and say what needs to be said. Thanks and I will post from time to time to let you know just how healthy I become. (The actual number on the scale is worthless!)

It's kind of refreshing to be able to be honest here in the forum the way we can't always in "real life" -- the anonymity helps. I applaud you, rdrseller, for being able to call yourself fat to your daughter. I don't think my mother ever used that word about herself when we were growing up, but now she refers to when she "used to be fat". At 200lbs, I've referred to myself as fat to some close friends, and they actually try to say I'm not "fat", just "heavier" than I should be! I know my friends were trying to be nice, but they were NOT being helpful! :rolleyes: I think part of it is that one of them just lost some weight & she was very sensitive about her weight before that, and the other knows she needs to lose about 30lbs and just can't get past her stressful, busy sched & bad eating habits (her life IS a mess right now, that she is working hard to fix), so they both know how it feels have other people think you're fat. Now that I've shown I'm serious about losing, they are my best supporters!

But it's still great to be able to talk here. Our cruise is in March (our 2nd), but my boyfriend & I plan to make cruising a part of our lives - at least every 18 months or so! So I plan on sticking aroung this forum while I continue to lose, even after this cruise, and then when I maintain, because I know it will be hard, and I can use all the help I can get. I've been there & done that, but I need to stick to it this time, and not rebound.

rdrseller & Sharonella - You've made the most important first step...Becoming committed to losing weight! Congratulations! We are all here to help you in any way we can. We're all traveling this journey together and we all understand how difficult it is to continue especially when times get tough. I've been visiting this board for almost 1 year now and I can't tell you how much of a difference this has made in my life! The support I get here is awesome and it keeps me motivated and on track. As a result, I feel that I am at the best that I ever have been in my life. I'll be 49 later this month, but I have the body and mindset of a 35 year old. Erasing 14 years off my body has been a wonderful accomplishment for me. I know you can do it too!

Lynn

Hi Lynn

Thanks! I'll be 47 soon myself, and I can't believe how close that is to ...... :( well, let's suffice it to say that's part of the reason I need to lose it now, keep it lost, and get fit. I'm "too old" to be thinking I have "plenty of time" later. And I want to have plenty of time later to have fun!!!!!!! I'd love to look like that 50yr old woman on the Bowflex commercials! Woohoo! :p

Seriously, one step at a time, and by my NEXT cruise (still to be decided) I'll be at or very close to my goal! :D

Thanks to all for the help & support!

I am so glad I found all of you. These last few days have been easier than normal. I have actually been drinking water! That is a big step for me, I HATE WATER. It is just boring! I just have never been able to get my water in each day. It isn't going down to hard so far. I took the stairs some and even turned down a desert at lunch.

Yep, shocked even me! I realize that you guys don't judge me, but for some reason is just know that you are all out there and trying har makes me try hard. Thanks for being there and making this a team effort. I will get in that size 14 dress before 4/3/05 sailing date.!!!!!

I HATE WATER. It is just boring! I just have never been able to get my water in each day. ............

rdrseller:

Excess fat in your bowel, that isn't digested for energy, is removed via BM. Excessive fat intake is more likely to be removed, as opposed to metabolised for energy, via BM with adequate water intake. The waste products of fat metabolism, which occurs when you burn stored fat for fuel, are mainly removed via urine. You can produce urine without adequate water intake, but the process is greatly enhanced by increasing your water intake; thus you will loose more fat by drinking more water. The actual process of eliminating excess water intake also burns more calories which burns more fat.

You really can look at your water intake as being your body's commode flushing fluid; if you don't have fluids to flush with, you aren't going to loose the waste.

rdrseller:

Excess fat in your bowel, that isn't digested for energy, is removed via BM. Excessive fat intake is more likely to be removed, as opposed to metabolised for energy, via BM with adequate water intake. The waste products of fat metabolism, which occurs when you burn stored fat for fuel, are mainly removed via urine. You can produce urine without adequate water intake, but the process is greatly enhanced by increasing your water intake; thus you will loose more fat by drinking more water. The actual process of eliminating excess water intake also burns more calories which burns more fat.

You really can look at your water intake as being your body's commode flushing fluid; if you don't have fluids to flush with, you aren't going to loose the waste.

As a long time gallon a day water drinker, I second that!!!;)

Paul, okay...time to fess up. Are you an MD or just someone who is brilliant (or both)? ;) Thanks so much for all of your help. It is really great to read what goes on "behind the scenes."

Sheila, Lynn:

Who me? No way. Well, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express a while back...;) Sorry. Couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, patient education is a vital part of my profession and even though my patients (ER) aren't normally in the best condition to learn, I have found that members of forums like this are already in 'learning mode' because they are seeking out information and are comfortably seated in their homes, or offices, and are able to scrutinize each and every detail of what they read. Many ER patients are too traumatized by the overall ER visit to really take in all that they need to absorb so it's a pleasant change of pace to encounter people who are ready, willing, and able to learn.

I am so glad I found all of you. These last few days have been easier than normal. I have actually been drinking water! That is a big step for me, I HATE WATER. It is just boring! I just have never been able to get my water in each day. It isn't going down to hard so far. I took the stairs some and even turned down a desert at lunch.

Yep, shocked even me! I realize that you guys don't judge me, but for some reason is just know that you are all out there and trying har makes me try hard. Thanks for being there and making this a team effort. I will get in that size 14 dress before 4/3/05 sailing date.!!!!!

Way to go, rdrseller!!!!

Water does help SO much! And you're right, water is "boring". But you need to figure out if you like it cold or room temp, and sometimes adding a lemon or lime wedge makes all the difference! To change the pace a bit, try the flavored seltzer waters. I drink a couple cans of Polar Seltzer every day. For anyone who's never tried it, it's NOT a diet drink & has NO artificial sweeteners, and NO calories. It's just flavored carbonated water. When I go out to eat, I get a tall glass of soda water with lime. And since I've been drinking more water, I've cut back from THREE diet cokes per day to ONE! (I don't do coffee.)

AND -- here's another big thing -- this winter, I have NOT had my fingertips split & crack on me, and my feet are not all dry & yucky like they used to be! I used to slather on lotion all winter & no results -- now that I drink the water -- even if I skip a day with the lotion, my skin is still nice! Water is AWESOME!

I made a big break through today. I pulled out all my weight watchers stuff. That is the only plan that I have ever been able to follow with any positive results. I got all excited about loosing the weight.

I tried on a dress that I haven't been able to wear in a loooooong time and I have resolved myself to getting in that dress before my cruise. I will need to lose about 15-20 pounds before 4/3/5. I believe that is a realistic goal. That should really make this cruise the best of my life!!

Hi all I just started working out 2 weeks ago and watching what I eat and have lost 4 lbs Well its a start and have a couple of months before I have to put my bathing suit on:) I have a thyroid problem and find it is very hard to lose weight. Any suggestions or should I just keep plugging? Good Luck to all!

the good news is my "stretch" jeans are now loose, coming straight out of the dryer. so i can tell I've noticably lost inches. I've lost an additional 2-3 pounds since my original post, have been sticking to my diet well and I've actually started to ENJOY going to workout :eek: *gasp*, LOL. I'm still working on my water intake, and always knew it was "recommended", but didn't realize why it was important until reading all the helpful info here (thanks, in large part to you PaulMedik). All the words of encouragement have done more than you know to help keep me OP, especially considering DH is now officially hanging off the diet bandwagon (eating fast food burgers and fries when I opt for salads and eating only a snickers bar for lunch at work, etc.), not exercising (except for work) and is STILL losing a lot more and a lot faster than I am. :mad:

either way, I try to keep telling myself I'm living a more HEALTHY lifestyle than he is and that I'm trying to lose my weight the correct way. It still sucks when we "casually" compare how much we've lost. ARGH.

thanks for asking about me, Paul. I've really enjoyed all the encouragement and support for EVERYBODY around here that has spun off this thread. just got caught up and didn't think to post an update.

have a great weekend, everyone! :)

MamaParrotHead - I'm proud that you're following your WOE and getting in exercise! Don't compare pounds lost with your DH. Men lose weight faster that women. You'll only get discouraged if you are comparing. Just stay on track like you've been doing and you'll see great results.

mlroberts - Don't give up! If anything, a healthier lifestyle will pay off in many more ways than a skinny body!

rdrseller - You sound really motivated! Good for you! I think you can meet your goal weight before your cruise. Then, the cruise will be a great reward for all of your hard work!

sharonella - I like to treat myself, too, with flavored water. It does get boring to drink just plain water especially when it's cold outside. I try to limit the flavored water to 1 bottle a day though.

I've been maintaining my weight now since the end of July but I measure myself every month. Today I got out the tape measure and found that I lost 1/2" in my tummy and 3/4" in my hips! Exercising does pay off!

Lynn

I looked all over for this thread this morning and couldn't find it. Now that I started a new thread, I find it.

Happy Update here! Lost three pounds so far and have managed to get my husband and daughter on the diet train. Me and my daughter are going walking this afternoon. Really feeling upbeat about things these days. I will probably loose more than the 20 I am hoping for before my cruise.

Hi All

Seems like everyone's been having a good week! Congrats to all!

My proud moment this week is that I have actually been to the gym the last two Sundays in a row! Yipee! AND, I have actively exercised the last 8 days in a row -- Mostly at the gym, but Saturday I went shopping at the mall, and briskly walked the entire two levels (about 1 hr), AND took a 20 minute walk with a friend at lunchtime.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I set up that averages the number of minutes per day I have exercised in the previous 28 days. My original goal was to avg 45 mins per day, & I finally reached that this whole week. Now my next goal is to avg 60 min per day. As the weather slowly gets a little warmer, that will be more feasible, as I'll be able to take walks a few times a week during the day, as well as exercise at the gym after work.

Sharonella - That's great!!! You are doing really great! I never liked exercise much in the past, now I look forward to it. I feel so much better when I get out there! That's a good idea, too, about the spread sheet. I use one to but for my weight. I started almost 1 year ago charting my progress and it's fun to go back and see how well I've done. Now it keeps me on track for keeping the weight off because I don't like it when the graph goes up!

I try to get in at least 1 hour a day of exercise too. The weekends are tough, but I try to get at least 1/2 of it in on Saturday and Sunday. Monday thru Thursday are my days to really buckle down and get it all in.

Keep up the good work!

Lynn

Archived