Vancouver Hotels and Priceline

I have been researching hotels in Vancouver for our upcoming cruise to Hawaii in Oct. The top hotels i.e. Pan Pacific, Fairmont Waterfront, etc. are really expensive - over 300+.

I tried bidding on Priceline and went up to $160 a night :eek: and was still turned down. I have read on here where other cruisers had won the Pan Pacific for $100.

Just wandering if this is peak season for Vancouver. We need a hotel room on 10/01. We don't have to stay at a 4-5* hotel but had heard great things about the Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront.

I haven't tried bidding on 3* Hotels on Priceline. Do you think that would be a good idea?

We are also looking into Hampton Inn & Suites on Robson, Wedgewood Hotel, Delta Vancouver Suites or Best Western on Drake Street.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hotel in the $100-$150. price range?

We won a bid for May 16th at the Delta Suites downtown. It is about 4 blocks from the cruise terminal. We got the room for $100.00. I will be back near the end of May and can tell you more of the hotel. All information that I find on the hotel has been good.

I don't think 01 October is peak season for Vancouver, though no idea if there are any conventions that day that might be filling up the hotels. OP - have you gone to biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com and studied up on PL bidding?

This hotel is not showing up on biddingfortravel.com lately, though of course, most people using PL don't post there. 01 October is a long time away. I think I would just set an upper limit for what I wanted to spend and keep trying. You have lots of time.

The International Bar Association convention is in Vancouver October 3-8. They expect over 4000 delegates who will I'm sure be staying at the best hotels.

As it is near your dates this may be the reason for no Priceline rooms.

I'm from Vancouver.

Fairmont & Pan Pacific are expensive because they're right next to the port. You'll be able to see the ship up close from your room. The view of the harbour and mountains makes these hotels a premium.

The Delta Suites is in a terrific location. A few blocks away from the port. You're right in the middle of downtown and close to all the shopping and short ride away from Stanley Park and other attractions. The hotels on Robson are okay. Robson Street is your main shopping/restaurant street. Again, those are the heart of downtown, however it is very noisy. However, they're is a bit further away from the port, and you'll need to cab it there. About 5-10min cab ride.

All the hotels you've listed are in good areas of the town, so you don't have worry.

Hopefully you'll have some good weather when you come. If you stay by the waterfront hotels, you'll have quite the treat (view).

Thanks for all the advise and replies. We only need to stay one night 10/01 and that is before the convention so maybe we can get a good rate closer to the date. I will just keep trying every day or so until I get a "bite".

I think I saw where the Delta Suites was $188 a night on hotels.com but the Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront both were over $300. You would think that I would have won the Delta Suites for a $160 bid.

Oh well, I have changed my way of thinking and now I am only going to bid my highest around $125. Maybe I'll get lucky eventually.

Oh, another "glitch" is that I am bidding on two hotel rooms. My brother and SIL are traveling with us.

Although I have lived in Vancouver for 60 years I know live just a little up the coast from the city. Due to an early flight I had need of a hotel in the city next month a just got the Hyatt Regency for $112 on Priceline. It was about $20 or so dollars more than I would have expected on Priceline but the hotel is a great one and at Burrard in and West Georgia it has always been "centre ice" in my mind.

Have used Priceline for Vancouver hotels a few times over the years. No bargains there. Most surprisingly, it is usually very much cheaper to book a Heathrow hotel. (Just for comparison, not suggesting that....)

Have used Priceline for Vancouver hotels a few times over the years. No bargains there. Most surprisingly, it is usually very much cheaper to book a Heathrow hotel. (Just for comparison, not suggesting that....)

Vancouver being a world class city and not having much land in the downtown does have pretty expensive hotel rates with 3.5* rates starting north of $200 and going up from there. Priceline does dish up some pretty good deals ... last spring we did get the Renaissance for $85 and we did see posts on these forums of rates for 4* hotels in the $100 to $150 range.

I won, I won, I got it on Priceline for $112.:D Actually those rates are about half of their so called "best rate" and I am not unhappy however we were getting reports last year of people getting the Hyatt on Priceline for $75 to $85 so I am not sure whats up. There is still a recession going on, there are fewer cruise ships homeported in Vancouver this year and there has been quite a few rooms added to the city's inventory the past two year.:confused:

At our Marathon training session we got some #'s on participants - over 14,000 entries - a 14 % increase over last year and one of our riders who also does marathons says he knows of a number of people who decided to do the Vancouver one after seeing our gorgeous city on the world wide Olympic showcase so perhaps the bookings are up and the discounts down.

About 11,000 of those participants will be going through the downtown streets - the remainder are only the fun run and kids who stay near to the Concord Pacific starting area.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, and that is only one event and obviously convention biz is up as well. However, that reduction of ships has to account for what 1,500 or so room nights a week .... plus we have a loonie that has taken flight, making staying here more expensive....and we have a rather week world economy??? I really must phone a guy I know who knows the hotel biz in the city inside and out.

Coming into big smoke tomorrow for DGD's 3rd birthday...we are taking the sweet little thing to McDonalds for lunch then after her nap the grandparents and unks and aunts are having a party for her. The kids party was on Saturday...which makes this very nice for the adults.:D

I have been bidding on and off for the last month looking for a room for July 6th. I only picked 4 star and downtown. I was hoping to get the Pan Pacific but still happy.

Putter or Urban, I plan on taking the train from YVR, is the Hyatt within walking distance from the train station and pier? I am a walker/hiker and have rolling luggage and which station do I exit?

Archived