Airline employees no transaction currency fee!

I work for a regional airline in Memphis. Recently, one of my co-workers mentioned to me that prior to his trip overseas, he went to the currency exchange in the airport and got his Euros for no charge.

The currency exchange don't charge airport employees working there the transaction fee.

The company is based in other airports as well.

If you are an airline employee and about to travel overseas,head to the currency exchange in your airport for this deal.

I'm going to Mexico on my cruise this weekend and we are going to spend the day in Medria. Purchase my peso with no fee!!

Thought I pass this on!!!

• 1 month later...

We have done the same for getting international currency. It is a great way to save...just have to be sure to use cash to get the currency, otherwise you'll end up paying a cc fee (made that mistake once!)

Did you get an interline discount on your cruise. Almost all cruise lines offer commerical airline employees a discounted rate on cruises. If you've never used it, go to perx.com for airline employee rates. Not just on cruises, other discounts are on there too. I used to work for a Delta regional and we save a ton on our honeymoon. I'm bummed now though because we are no longer with the airline, so we no longer get the discount. :(

When buying foreign currency at a US airports, check the internet for bank exchange rates and know approximately the official rates before you change money. Many airport exchanges have really bad rates and you can do better exchanging in foreign airports upon arrival. They often offer airline employees commission-free exchanges.

When buying foreign currency at a US airports, check the internet for bank exchange rates and know approximately the official rates before you change money. Many airport exchanges have really bad rates and you can do better exchanging in foreign airports upon arrival. They often offer airline employees commission-free exchanges.

Yes, the airport currency exchange kiosk may waive fees for airline/airport people ... but their exchange rate borders on criminal.

Yes, the airport currency exchange kiosk may waive fees for airline/airport people ... but their exchange rate borders on criminal.

You're right, criminal. My specific situation was with a friend changing money at Dulles Airport in Washington DC for Euro. The rate there was about 30% under the official rate and that offered upon arrival in Europe.

The lesson is to know your rates and buyer beware. :-)

Archived