CC info for company : Private Greece Tours

CJcruzer

this tour company comes HIGHLY recommended and it has been a pleasure working with them to set up our itinerary in Athens - but they request a CC on file (which is fine) but ALSO THE 3-DIGIT code on the reverse. Payment is in Euros cash, at the end of the trip - but this is precautionary to secure the booking only.

I have never given out my 3 digit code, only when I am actually purchasing/finalizing a transaction on a secured site. Anyone else give out the 3 digit code on the reverse of the card for purposes of ONLY securing a booking, not CHARGING out the transaction?

Carol

I don't think there's much choice--they'll need the 3-digit code, should they have to charge for a possible no-show. Its a bit of a leap of faith, I know--and watch (as always) those CC statements like a hawk!

Kevin

Hi CJ,

I agree with the previous poster... the 3 digit code is a "new thing" that almost everyone requests now, so it makes sense that they'd ask. I wouldn't worry too much about it since your Credit Card gives protection on fraud anyway. (but do watch your charges LOL).

Can you tell us more about your tour? I'm researching Athens tours now too and got a price of $220Euro per car for the Extended City Tour of Athens (8 hours) from Athens-tours . gr (Jordan). Unfortunately, Jordan only fits 4 persons plus the driver in each car (we are 6 persons) so we would have to pay for 2 cars. Hoping to find a reputable driver that can give us a reasonable price.

Sally

Hi CJ,

I agree with the previous poster... the 3 digit code is a "new thing" that almost everyone requests now, so it makes sense that they'd ask. I wouldn't worry too much about it since your Credit Card gives protection on fraud anyway. (but do watch your charges LOL).

Can you tell us more about your tour? I'm researching Athens tours now too and got a price of $220Euro per car for the Extended City Tour of Athens (8 hours) from Athens-tours . gr (Jordan). Unfortunately, Jordan only fits 4 persons plus the driver in each car (we are 6 persons) so we would have to pay for 2 cars. Hoping to find a reputable driver that can give us a reasonable price.

Sally

I agree with the others about the cc and I have been booking privately around the world the past few years. I have never had a problem after giving the information out. Remember that vendors have alot to lose as well. The boards are very powerful.

We are booking with Paul who I think has a larger van as well.

Karen

Some credit card companies allow you to generate instant unique credit card numbers online. I generate an instant credit card # to use in this type of situation. The 16 digit number and its 3 digit code are unique. Each number can only be used by one merchant and I specify the maximum amount that can be charged to it and the # of months that # is active.

I use this method for a lot of my online purchases with companies I don't do regular business with. I also use it for travel reservations such as this.

Note: When setting the maximum amount for foreign reservations, be sure to take into account the exchange rate and allow a buffer for it to get worse. (I can increase/decrease that amount at any time and I can disable that unique number if I cancel the reservation.)

The Schwab credit card has these capabilities and it is one of the few credit cards that does not charge a foreign usage fee.

this tour company comes HIGHLY recommended and it has been a pleasure working with them to set up our itinerary in Athens - but they request a CC on file (which is fine) but ALSO THE 3-DIGIT code on the reverse. Payment is in Euros cash, at the end of the trip - but this is precautionary to secure the booking only.

I have never given out my 3 digit code, only when I am actually purchasing/finalizing a transaction on a secured site. Anyone else give out the 3 digit code on the reverse of the card for purposes of ONLY securing a booking, not CHARGING out the transaction?

Carol

Hi Carol, this seems to be a very common practice among most of the reputable tour providers in Europe. They ask it in case of a non-show. Personally, I have booked twice with Nikos Loukas of privategreecetours, one last year and one a few weeks ago for my next trip to Greece in July. For both reservations I had to go through the same procedure. There was never a problem. It has always been very pleasant working with Nikos to set up our trips and I am really looking forward to it.

Richard

Carol

In case some people don't realize the purpose of the CVV code (that's the official name for the three digits on the back of the card) it's used for "card not present" transactions (internet purchases, billing back against a card for deposits, etc. - essentially any transaction which requires the seller to manually key in the card number rather than run the magnetic strip)

Since what the tour operator needs the card number for is his protection that he'll be able to collect the no-show fee, he'll need this number to process a transaction against the card since you won't be there with the physical card that can be run through a reader.

The CVV is NOT encoded on the magnetic strip so it's difficult for someone who doesn't have the physical card to get the proper CVV number, which is how it works as a security measure. :)

~Fi

If giving out the 3 digit code is of concern, just obtain another credit card with a low dollar limit. Another option is to otain a credit card with pre-load dollar amount so it works like a debit card for this purpose.

Since I worked for tour companies for some years here in Athens, it is common to ask for the CVV code and as long as you will attend to your tour you do not have to worry about the charge.

Furthermore we usually need a copy of your card (when we will see you on your tour) or an authorization letter signed by the owner of the card.

Sally

As for the 6 persons you can find 7 seated mini vans (6 plus 1 guide) to do your tour.

Sally,

I, too, am looking for a private driver to give us a tour for our cruise in Oct. Does ***** have a website or is there someone specifically I should talk with? Thanks for any advice you can share.

Linda

Hi Carol, this seems to be a very common practice among most of the reputable tour providers in Europe. They ask it in case of a non-show. Personally, I have booked twice with Nikos Loukas of privategreecetours, one last year and one a few weeks ago for my next trip to Greece in July. For both reservations I had to go through the same procedure. There was never a problem. It has always been very pleasant working with Nikos to set up our trips and I am really looking forward to it.

Richard

I also booked with Nikos and gave my cc info and exp. date and 3 digit....no problems. I have to pay in cash. They need the cc info to hold your reservation....too many no shows. I was nervous initially and even contacted him by telephone but everything went well....scheduled with his tour in May....can't wait!

Sally,

I, too, am looking for a private driver to give us a tour for our cruise in Oct. Does ***** have a website or is there someone specifically I should talk with? Thanks for any advice you can share.

Linda

Here's the website: http://www.*****/

You can contact Paul by using the link near the bottom of the left-hand side of the page.

We want to share with you all a fantastic day tour in Athens.

booked with

http://privategreecetours.com/

The tour was great value, cheaper than the ship tours, with more knowlege and superb service. No problems with credit card at all, so book, enjoy and do not worry

I need to walk with a stick and was very concerned about coping with the Acropolis, Plaka and so on

We were met at the port in Piraeus by Nikos Loukas, in a lovely air conditioned Mercedes van, suitable for up to 8 people.

Nikos knows Athens so well, he could plan our tour to allow me less walking. The tour buses park some distance from the Acropolis, we were delivered to an easier access.

He knows the timing of each event in Athens and we got to see so much in just 4 hours.

One key feature of this tour is the use of a mobile. Nikos gives clients a mobile phone to call him when they are ready to leave the Acropolis or Plaka.

Best tour ever.

Archived