Shopping for purses in Corfu

waverley7

Has anyone shopped for knockoff purses in Corfu and are the prices better than in Florence? Or any of these ports.....Rome, Cannes, Naples, Santoini, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Athens, Venice

I have to make sure I buy a couple for my daughter and Corfu is close to the end of the cruise so I don't want to miss out by waiting.

In Pisa, Italy last year vendors had lots of knock off purses lined up on the ground. Our guide said if the police catch us buying one we could be subject to a fine or confiscation of the fake purse. I only buy the real stuff anyway. Usually in Rome on Via Condotti.

Two years ago we actually were able to watch the Italian Police in action (its always amazing when they work) at the Piazza Navona. We were sitting in a cafe at that wonderful place for several hours and there were several street venders in front of the fountain a few feet from our table. They were selling knockoff purses, designer sunglasses, and a few other item such as scarves. We watched tourists buy the goods and then a few seconds later we saw them arrested by the police. The police never bothered the venders. We are frequent travelers to Italy and this really got our attention so we asked our cafe waiter for an explanation. He said that the police do not care about the venders, but they can levy stiff fines for anyone who purchases conterfeit merchandise. Apparently there has been a lot of pressure put on the Italian government to stop the sale of knock-offs since it only hurts the Italian designers and costs some Italian jobs since the knock-offs are imported from China and Eastern Europe. So, if you buy the stuff you buy at your own risk! There is also the possiblity knock-off merchandise will be seized by the US Customs (they take it if they happen to find it).

Hank

Well, thanks for all the replies......that is all kind of scary isn't it. Maybe I should look at buying the real thing..what is the best place for that? The prices must be better than what we pay here in Canada.

Well, thanks for all the replies......that is all kind of scary isn't it. Maybe I should look at buying the real thing..what is the best place for that? The prices must be better than what we pay here in Canada.

Keep in mind that my story was about the situation in Italy so it does not mean that the Greek Police have the same attitude.

Hank

Hlitner:

In Pisa, they laid out their fake goods on a large blanket on the ground. One time they saw the police coming and in about 30 seconds they had the blanket and their goods scooped up and on their way.

Archived