Newport Itinerary Help

Kellyann

Oops I mistakenly put this post in Canada. Even I know that Rhode Island is in the USA.

Newport May 3 on Summit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading as much as I could on these boards, I believe I'm able to narrow down my itinerary. I just have a few specific questions that I still need your help.

I want to get the 67 bus from Newport Gateway Ctr and get dropped off at Bellevue & Naragansett where I can see/do the 40 steps, pass along Salve Regina, leave Cliff Walk to tour the Breakers, then walk along Bellevue or Cliff Walk to Marble House and finally get the 67 bus back to NGC. Here are my questions because I don't want to take on a walk that is too much:

If I go to MH from the Breakers, should I walk along the street or the "walk"?

From MH how far a walk is it to get the bus back and where would I get it?

Would I be better off forgetting M.H. and do the Behind the Scenes at the Elm which is closer to the Breakers?

On the street maps that I'm able to access, it looks like a very long walk from Bellevue Avenue to Cliff Walk. How far in city blocks is it?

One last thing, I read where the bus fare is $1.75 and it's exact change, does it have to be in coins or can I give the driver a dollar bill and the balance in quarters?

Thank you for whatever help you can offer.

Kellyann

Kellyann asked:

question: If I go to MH from the Breakers, should I walk along the street or the "walk"?

Answer: Go to MH by Bellevue Ave.

question: From MH how far a walk is it to get the bus back and where would I get it?

There are bus stops all along Bellevue Ave; so I would say within a block of the exit of MH.

Question: Would I be better off forgetting M.H. and do the Behind the Scenes at the Elm which is closer to the Breakers?

Answer: I would do MH.

Question: On the street maps that I'm able to access, it looks like a very long walk from Bellevue Avenue to Cliff Walk. How far in city blocks is it? and should I get dropped off at Bellevue & Naragansett?

Answer: Do NOT get off the bus at Bellevue & Narragansett. You would stay on the bus until the bus is about to make a right turn from Narragansett Ave onto Ochre Point Ave; and then it is about a block to CW from there. Use Google Maps; I believe they include the location of bus stops. Just let the bus driver know your destination (CW). Check the map that is shown on route #67 schedule.

Question: I read where the bus fare is $1.75 and it's exact change, does it have to be in coins or can I give the driver a dollar bill and the balance in quarters?

Answer: I believe you can insert a bill and coins into the fare box; but is has to be the exact amount.

I'm glad you did your homework and I would suggest printing out a bus schedule: http://www.ripta.com/

Enjoy your cruise and Newport.

SBtS

SB + S --

Thanks for always posting such great information.

I, too, was trying to decide between Marble House and the Behind the Scenes Tour at the Elms. When I spoke to the staff at the Elms by phone, they raved about their tour. You advised against it, however. Now, I don't know what to do! Have you ever done the Behind the Scenes Tour? It sounds interesting, but I'm afraid it may be a little corny. With only one day in Newport, I want to utilize my time as wisely as possible and not waste a second on something that isn't over the top.

Here is our plan so far. We, too, are planning to visit The Breakers and Cliff Walk (doesn't everybody?!) I am also hoping to wander the streets near the Waterfront, including a visit to the Touro Synagogue. Keeping this in mind, would you still advise that we skip the Elms Behind the Scenes Tour and visit Marble House instead? Will we have time for all that I have planned?

Please advise, and thank you so much.

Shelley:)

Shelley -

If you read Kellyann's post, she wrote: From MH how far a walk is it to get the bus back and where would I get it?

She had a concern of a long walk (from MH) to get a bus and where to catch that bus, and was willing to change to the Behind the Scenes tour at the Elms because of that concern.

Since MH is on the bus route (Bellevue Ave), there is no long walk, you exit from MH to Bellevue Ave, and bus stops are frequent on Bellevue. That is why I told her to do MH, not because of the Behind the Scenes at the Elm tour is not worthwhile. Go & enjoy.

Your plan is good. The Touro Synagogue is an easy walk from the tender dock. Since Touro Synagogue is close to St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church which is where Jacqueline Lee Bouvier and John F. Kennedy were married, why not include a visit to St. Mary’s in your plans.

SBtS

You may not know it. JFK was married the second time in Newport, R.I.

His first time was in Philadelphia, PA to a very prominent family her name was Miss Brow,. Then Mrs. J.F. Kennedy

The family paid to have that marriage *annulled by the Catholic Church and paid the family and church off , very handsomely.

To make or declare void or invalid, as a marriage or a law; nullify.

To obliterate the effect or existence of: "The significance of the past . . . is annulled in idle gusts of electronic massacre" (Alexander Cockburn).

[Middle English annullen, from Old French annuller, from Late Latin annullāre : Latin ad-, ad- + Latin nullus, none; see ne in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Shelley -

If you read Kellyann's post, she wrote: From MH how far a walk is it to get the bus back and where would I get it?

She had a concern of a long walk (from MH) to get a bus and where to catch that bus, and was willing to change to the Behind the Scenes tour at the Elms because of that concern.

Since MH is on the bus route (Bellevue Ave), there is no long walk, you exit from MH to Bellevue Ave, and bus stops are frequent on Bellevue. That is why I told her to do MH, not because of the Behind the Scenes at the Elm tour is not worthwhile. Go & enjoy.

Your plan is good. The Touro Synagogue is an easy walk from the tender dock. Since Touro Synagogue is close to St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church which is where Jacqueline Lee Bouvier and John F. Kennedy were married, why not include a visit to St. Mary’s in your plans.

SBtS

Archived