Emerald Bay and Isle of Pines

Hi Everyone

Sorry about this but I've got a few more questions:o

Is there anything to buy at Emerald Bay or Isle of Pines? If so, do they take $AU or do you need to change (like Noumea)?

I take it from reading through the threads that all there is to do at Emerald Bay is swimming, snorkeling etc, :) but are there interesting sites on Isle of Pines? If so how do you get there as there are no P & O organised tours that I could find for this island?

Lastly, Iv'e heard that some of these islands don't have much in the way stationary supplies/resources in their schools. We are planning to bring excercise books, pens, pencils, rulers etc to donate to the local school. My 7yo son thinks this is pretty cool and is very keen to meet the island kids. Has enyone noticed a school not far from the port at Isle of Pines or any contacts on the island we could check with before hand to see what they might need?

Jenny

Hi Everyone

Sorry about this but I've got a few more questions:o

Is there anything to buy at Emerald Bay or Isle of Pines? If so, do they take $AU or do you need to change (like Noumea)?

I take it from reading through the threads that all there is to do at Emerald Bay is swimming, snorkeling etc, :) but are there interesting sites on Isle of Pines? If so how do you get there as there are no P & O organised tours that I could find for this island?

Lastly, Iv'e heard that some of these islands don't have much in the way stationary supplies/resources in their schools. We are planning to bring excercise books, pens, pencils, rulers etc to donate to the local school. My 7yo son thinks this is pretty cool and is very keen to meet the island kids. Has enyone noticed a school not far from the port at Isle of Pines or any contacts on the island we could check with before hand to see what they might need?

Jenny

AU dollars is fine, nothing really to buy anyway, only a couple small stalls just where you will get off at Isle Of Pines, there is also a couple smallish shops up a small road not far from tender point, we went up for a look but was only few things,(small gallery type and jewellery etc... we mainly went there to get our passport stamped.There is a shop next to the resort on tender port side of island,(other side to the sacred rock) we spent quite a bit of time there swimming, hired paddle bikes (not sure what they are called) canoes etc... and having nice cold drinks from their bar..

Am quite sure that there is not a school there. Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.....Sure you will.. Fiona :)

Your three ports are all in New Caledonia. The standard of living in New Caledonia is much higher than in Vanuatu and Fiji, so I don't think the kids are actually in need of school supplies.

The nearest village on Isle of Pines (Vao) is several km from the jetty. The locals do a tour that goes to the village church and a few other spots. I haven't been to Emerald Bay.

At Isle of Pines on the side you tender to there is a bay type beach with coffee shop and the like and a small gift stall my sister in law mentioned she bought a coffee and it cost her $10 AUD. She only bought the one. LOL. There were a couple of market stalls on the walk down to the sacred rock but everything seemed to be very expensive. We were told that the resort near the jetty was also very expensive.

At Emerald Bay they do have some markets at it is a hot walk through them mostly just hand crafted cutsie items. I bought a bag and a couple of purses some shells but mostly we just snorkelled the day. It was fabulous.

Hi Fiona,(Tassie Cruiser), Aus Traveller and Cruise W827, thanks for your comments and advice, much appreciated.:) I am already starting to get excited.

We might still bring some small gifts for the local kids.

I've got one more question and its possibly not PC, but my son wants to know if there is anywhere that you can buy Shark's Tooth necklaces in any of the markets at Noumea, Isle of Pines or Emerald Bay.

Regards

Jenny

I've got one more question and its possibly not PC, but my son wants to know if there is anywhere that you can buy Shark's Tooth necklaces in any of the markets at Noumea, Isle of Pines or Emerald Bay.

Jenny

There might be sharks tooth necklaces at the markets in Noumea, but probably more likely at the big markets rather than the little one on the dock. The big markets are abouat 600m from the ship and close at 11am. I don't think there would be any at Isle of Pines. I haven't been to Emerald Bay so don't know what they have there.

Archived