Newbie Question Regarding Booking a Cruise

jnbball

I am sorry if this has been covered already, which I am sure it has.

This is the first time doing this (cruise), and I am totally confused.

I have a trip picked out; Carnival Triumph, Dec. 6th to Cozumel and Yucatan leaving New Orleans.

Do I book through a travel agent (TA) or online through places like Orbitz or Travelocity (can I say those names?).

I am a research fanatic and I can save over $200 booking myself online. My question is are there any hidden costs I am not aware of if I do it online? The TA told me to expect at least an extra $250 in "hidden" fees per person if I book online that they don't tell me about. Something about port fees/charges/taxes, ect. I called Travelocity and the lady there told me the TA told me that just to get me to book with them and that is their comission they are trying to protect and there are no "hidden" fees.

Am I safe booking online? What's a PVP? (I've seen that in other posts). Do I need a passport book or passport card to take a cruise. Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to be disappointed. I've wanted to take a cruise for many years. I finally decided to just do it. Bills will always be there. I need to start doing something for myself and my wife :) Thanks for all the help I know I will receive!!

Book it yourself on line with one you mentioned or direct with Carnival. There are no hidden fee's. You can see the price when you do the booking. It shows you the cost and on the next page the port/taxes.

Make sure you book the early saver so you get a lower price if they have a decrease. You have to watch that, it's not automatic.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. Be warned; cruising is very addicting :D

That doesnt makes sense that you can save over $200 by booking online. NO TA can advertise a lower price than you could get by calling up Carnival and booking direct with them. Either you arent comparing the same prices, apples to apples or something else is wrong, you are missing a rate on the Carnvial site perhaps?

On a short cruise like Triumph, even a suite, from a discount broker who can cut their commission probably cant even discount that much, and that would only be done privately. .. so something has to be wrong with the prices you are seeing.

For instance one TA site shows a 1A as the cheapest inside and Carnival is showing the higher 4A as their cheapest prices, but you cant drill down and still book the 1A with them if thats what you want. The same TA has shown a PT as their lowest OV and Carnival considers that a OV cabin.

Without details I cant say what you are seeing wrong .. and btw no we cant mention specific TA names, since you asked. Its considered advertising. But I cant tell you TAs cannot advertise a lower price than Carnival's.

I always use a travel agent. It's usually cheaper through them, versus using Carnival online. There are port charges, taxes and fees either way. Just get a few quotes and go from there.

port charges are always included in the cruise fare with Carnival. Some TAs dont show them then add them in. One sneaky way to make it look like their prices are lower .. when they arent. Most TAs have quit this deceptive practice.

Unless you find a TA with a group which might be cheaper than Early Saver, hasnt been as much lately or who cuts their commission privately (i.e. you wouldnt see it online but they can tell you over the phone or via email,) you will not get a lower price by booking with a TA.

Anyone who mentions port charges probably isnt someone giving good advise. Mid 1990s all cruiselines have to include it in thier price. Only fees and taxes are allowed to be added on by cruiselines.

I am sorry if this has been covered already, which I am sure it has.

This is the first time doing this (cruise), and I am totally confused.

I have a trip picked out; Carnival Triumph, Dec. 6th to Cozumel and Yucatan leaving New Orleans.

Do I book through a travel agent (TA) or online through places like Orbitz or Travelocity (can I say those names?).

I am a research fanatic and I can save over $200 booking myself online. My question is are there any hidden costs I am not aware of if I do it online? The TA told me to expect at least an extra $250 in "hidden" fees per person if I book online that they don't tell me about. Something about port fees/charges/taxes, ect. I called Travelocity and the lady there told me the TA told me that just to get me to book with them and that is their comission they are trying to protect and there are no "hidden" fees.

Am I safe booking online? What's a PVP? (I've seen that in other posts). Do I need a passport book or passport card to take a cruise. Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to be disappointed. I've wanted to take a cruise for many years. I finally decided to just do it. Bills will always be there. I need to start doing something for myself and my wife :) Thanks for all the help I know I will receive!!

i was so excited for my first cruise, finally got my roommate to do one with. i was just going to book online through carnival, but ended up doing it personal with the carnival PVP. i don't use TA's for anything, i'm a research a holic having access to a pc ..lol..

it's not any cheaper to book via a TA, the only difference is that sometimes you can get an "upgrade" or free on board credit (obc). their just taking alittle less on their commission. BUT, remember if you use a TA you can NOT call carnival, you must go through your TA as they are your booking agent.

if you take a guarantee "g" cabin, just remember you don't get a cabin number yet and can be in a bad location when you do get one. use the ships diagram and what i do is look above and below to see whats there. this cruise we have 4ppl so are doing a balcony just to have the balcony for a little space. last cruise on the triumph we did a 1A which you find on carnival's website and click on edit. we were as far front as you could get on deck 2. it was rocky sometimes. but that cabin wasn't the bunks it was a twin and couch. we liked it!

if your TA books you the earlysaver rate. that is NOT cancellable. you can move it for a $50.00 fee up to one year. BUT, the beauty is IF your cruise rate drops for the same cabin/class you can get that deduction, but if your using a TA you'll have to call them to get them to submit the form. and you can get any discounts up to 2 days before your cruise. i've seen it happen, didn't happen for us last cruise or as of yet for this coming cruise, but thats ok. lol.

these boards are great for asking and getting answers. many ppl are so helpful. between this and carnival's forums i learned alot and still will learn.

oh, 1 BIG thing.. when your cruise is booked and you get your copy of payment etc,.. READ IT ALL AND CHECK NAME AND SPELLING BECAUSE IF YOU WAIT, IT WILL COST YOU TO CHG IT TO CORRECT.

I booked online through Carnival and than called them to upgrade.No problem so easy.When I checked the online travel sites,they were actually more, some quite a bit.

I would do a passport book.If you get the card and next year you want to fly out of country you will need the book and incur all that cost again.

The prices should be the same wether thru CCL or an 'nameless internet travel site. The pros for using a travel site is that they often run specials where you can get free OBC, reduced deposits, discount booklets, and often OBC for using certin credit cards to pay. These discounts can give you a substantial amount of OBC if played right.

Archived