When to be back aboard when in port?

Mags65

My family and I are going to the Caymans on the Solstice this July. We will be tendered there, and our itinerary says we are in port until 4pm. Does anyone have an idea what the policy likely will be as to what time they want us back aboard the ship? Thank you!

My family and I are going to the Caymans on the Solstice this July. We will be tendered there, and our itinerary says we are in port until 4pm. Does anyone have an idea what the policy likely will be as to what time they want us back aboard the ship? Thank you!

Probably between 3 and 3:30. Interestingly, on one of our cruises there a while back, a few folks did not make it and they were left there. I never heard whether they had their credit cards with them.

On our last Solstice cruise we had a cabin directly above the pax gang plank. My DH and I really enjoyed sitting out on the veranda watching people running across the pier to get to the ship on time!

We did see two pax from a Costa cruise ship left on the pier when we were in Rhodes.

We saw PAX miss the ship in Grand Turks. For any of you who have been there, its more like a private island than a real island. Not much to do except for an excursion/ golf cart rental. Kinda felt bad, its not like you can just get a flight anywhere out of Grand Turk airport !

15 minutes before depature time for us on our latest cruise.

Boat left at 5:00 PM most days, and all aboard was 4:45. Crew were reuiqred to be on 15 minutes earlier.

We usually got back ~4:30, just to be safe

We were in GC in March on the Equinox. The ship's departure time was 5PM, and the last tender was at 4:30PM. Hope this helps! :)

When we were in Rhodes last year, I commented that if a pax missed the ship, there were many ferries that would help them catch up. Our guide reminded me that our passports were being held by Celebrity and we would not be able to leave via plane or ferry without a passport. He commented that we would have to somehow make it to Athens to replace the passport. I did, however, have photo copies of the passports with me, but I do not know how much help that would have been. If possible when out of the US, keep your passport with you especially if you are not on a ship-sponsored tour.

They always post in the Daily what time you must be back onboard when you are in a port. We always allow plenty of time just in case we encounter problems which might make it take a little longer than expected to get back to the ship.

I really don't want to be left behind! Have you seen the videos of those who were left behind and were taken out to the ship and allowed to climb the ladder to board!:eek: OMG!! And those are the "lucky" ones who are not simply left there!

Have you seen the videos of those who were left behind and were taken out to the ship and allowed to climb the ladder to board!:eek: OMG!! And those are the "lucky" ones who are not simply left there!

Hear is a picture

Click on thumbnail

drawing-of-man-on-pilot-ladder.jpg.c761397563692c0f6f7b214967b867bd.jpg

Haha!! When we were in Tahiti, we were supposed to be tendered into Raiatea, or was it Rarotonga; I didn't think the seas looked all that bad, but the captain came on and said we would not be able to go ashore because it was too dangerous. (This happens a LOT!)

So they had to bring some new crew members aboard and we happened to watch from up above--looked EXACTLY like that photo! I am not kidding. The ship would go up, and the tender would go down. Amazing anyone made it aboard alive--and I was glad we weren't tendering after all!~

Cathy

Grand Cayman is very nice. I do business there.

Are youall going to HELL there and mail any postal pieces?

Get your passport Stamped there. So yes you are then able to say you went to HELL and came back...

On tenders ..they are very crowded and sometimes the ships do leave earlier than scheduled.

So yes be back to tender way before your time allotted.

I have seen a lot of people, couples and people late getting left behind.

My rule-of-thumb is if I have to take a train, bus or cab to get back to the ship, I plan an itinerary that gets me back to the ship at least one hour before sailiing time to allow for mishaps on the road.

If I can walk back to the ship, I aimed at getting back about half-an-hour before the ship sails, which allows an extra 15 minutes for last minute stops in the duty free shops at the port.

Because you have to tender in the Cayman Islands, you should plan on being at the tender area at least half-hour before the last tender. That should give you a little cushion.

Enjoy your cruise.

The times to be back onboard are always indicated in daily activities brochure which will is delivered to your stateroom every evening by your cabin steward. They are also posted on signs as you exit the ship to go ashore. It's hard to miss them.

The ship will let you know when the last tender departs -- check your daily schedule delivered to your cabin the night before. As long as you are in the tender line by the time of the last tender, you'll be taken to the ship. But you might be denied boarding if you are even just a few minutes late past the last tender departure.

Think of it like an airplane. If a plane flight departs at 4pm, what would happen if you arrived at the gate at 3:55pm? You probably would be denied boarding. Same on the ship. If the ship has a 4pm departure time, that's when it departs, and not when you should return to the ship. Rule of thumb is to be on the ship no later than 30 minutes prior to departure.

There is a sign right at the gangway that tells you when you need to

be back. It actually has a time for passengers and a time for crew.

Haha!! When we were in Tahiti, we were supposed to be tendered into Raiatea, or was it Rarotonga; I didn't think the seas looked all that bad, but the captain came on and said we would not be able to go ashore because it was too dangerous. (This happens a LOT!)

So they had to bring some new crew members aboard and we happened to watch from up above--looked EXACTLY like that photo! I am not kidding. The ship would go up, and the tender would go down. Amazing anyone made it aboard alive--and I was glad we weren't tendering after all!~

Cathy

The same thing happened with us in Rarotonga. The currents would allow tenders to return to the ship.

We were on the Carnival Valor in December and they left Grand Caymen when they said they would leave.Unfortunately there were some folks who thought the ship would wait for them. WRONG! They are probably the same type that are late for appointments, and late for church and work. I do not know how they got home? Too bad!

Archived