Swim diapers - what's the big deal

carriebryce

I've read about the filtration issues and what not, but it's not like kids are getting into the pools naked! What's the harm in wearing a swim diaper? The diaper holds anything in that may come out while swimming! We are cruising on Legend soon and whereas I intend to obey the rule, I find it upsetting. We put our 2 1/2 and 4 year olds in swim lessons in February and have told them repeatedly, "once you learn how to swim, we'll get to go on vacation and you can swim on the cruise ship".

I wonder how many people actually observe the rule. I mean, do they make them pull their swim trunks down and show their junk?!! ;) If I would have learned about this rule sooner, I would have potty trained him. We've actually been waiting to potty train until After vacation.

Swim diapers are specially designed to not have the 'tea bag' effect.

would you be willing to dunk one into a glass of water and drink it to proove thet?

:eek:

(and we have thread of the day...strap in people...this might be a rough ride.) :p

Geez people, get a life. This is a message board. Doesn't anyone have jobs you should be tending to?

Signing off.

p.s. If any of you will be on our sailing, be sure to introduce yourselves. I'd like to have my NON-potty trained son sit next to you after Mexican night. Cheers!

The big deal? Note the first sentence in the first link.

The use of swim diapers and swim pants may give many parents and pool staff a false sense of security regarding fecal contamination.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/swim_diapers.htm

http://www.sbcontrol.com/germs.htm

Why not ask the parents of the children who DIED what the big deal is?

I've read about the filtration issues and what not, but it's not like kids are getting into the pools naked! What's the harm in wearing a swim diaper? The diaper holds anything in that may come out while swimming! We are cruising on Legend soon and whereas I intend to obey the rule, I find it upsetting. We put our 2 1/2 and 4 year olds in swim lessons in February and have told them repeatedly, "once you learn how to swim, we'll get to go on vacation and you can swim on the cruise ship".

I wonder how many people actually observe the rule. I mean, do they make them pull their swim trunks down and show their junk?!! ;) If I would have learned about this rule sooner, I would have potty trained him. We've actually been waiting to potty train until After vacation.

You've already received the "wow, I can't believe she's serious" responses, so here is some advice....

Start training now. Today. It's Friday. Take the diapers off today. Stay home all weekend. By Monday, the 4 yo for sure will have it and if they are training together, chances are good that the 2 1/2 yo will as well. Tuesday, shampoo the carpets as needed!:D

And don't get upset when some of these posts get nasty. I can tell you for a fact that swim diapers don't keep everything in and some folks are very heated in their opposition to them.

I don't get it, the inconvenience and possible cost of the extra luggage for diapers and what goes with them, plus the sheer lack of changing facilities on cruise ships should've accelerated your desire to have them potty trained BEFORE the cruise....

The pool issue would just be a plus.

Hi Carrie:

Unfortunately all too often, the swim diapers do indeed "leek" and waste then enters and contaminates the pool. They HAVE to shut down the pool entirely then and start all over with the decontamination process to adhere to strict Health Department guidelines.

I just got off of Glory on Sunday past and the pool attendandts were indeed enforcing the no swim diapers policy. Good advise from one of the posters above though as to attempting to get the little one trained before you leave. If you have the time to dedicate, it should work out.

Best of luck...

You know, when you go to a beach on one of the islands, the people right next to you might be peeing in the water, and if they are drinking, they definitely are.

In Cozumel at one of those all-inclusive beach clubs, the drunken extended family next to us actually propped a very drunken grandma in the water at the edge of the beach and told her to pee. She was too drunk to stagger into the bathroom. Then her daughter proceeded to show her how. Good grief.

So it isn't just kids in diapers going in the water. Also, fecal contamination of beaches on the islands is very high. Water looks clear, but it isn't clean in many cases.

Swimming is one of my favorite activities but getting sick isn't. If you are putting a toddler in the pool who isn't potty trained, you are just as bad as the family with drunk grandma in Cozumel. Drink up!

Sometimes it is not the child's fault they leak.I was at a pool once and the mother pulled the back of the swim diaper open to "check" and guess what came out into the pool.And yes once they are in the water awhile they can leak.

Those diapers don't seal very well and Carnival is acutely aware of the issues concerning the spread of disease on board. This year there have been over 35 cases of Noro Virus (fecal coliform contamination...) on ships none of which have occurred on Carnival due to their diligent efforts.

I fear that if the swim diapers sealed well enough to work the poor child's legs would drop off from lack of circulation!

:)

Sometimes it is not the child's fault they leak.I was at a pool once and the mother pulled the back of the swim diaper open to "check" and guess what came out into the pool.And yes once they are in the water awhile they can leak.

It's never the child's fault they leak. It's the parents' fault for not following the rules. ;)

You know, when you go to a beach on one of the islands, the people right next to you might be peeing in the water, and if they are drinking, they definitely are.

In Cozumel at one of those all-inclusive beach clubs, the drunken extended family next to us actually propped a very drunken grandma in the water at the edge of the beach and told her to pee. She was too drunk to stagger into the bathroom. Then her daughter proceeded to show her how. Good grief.

So it isn't just kids in diapers going in the water. Also, fecal contamination of beaches on the islands is very high. Water looks clear, but it isn't clean in many cases.

Swimming is one of my favorite activities but getting sick isn't. If you are putting a toddler in the pool who isn't potty trained, you are just as bad as the family with drunk grandma in Cozumel. Drink up!

That's gross. I found this on line though.

Ingredients for a Drunken Grandma

• Grand Marnier® Orange Liqueur
  • Lemon Iced Tea

Quantities for one drink:

• 1 - 2 oz Grand Marnier® Orange Liqueur
  • 5 oz Lemon Iced Tea

Blending Instructions:

• Combine the Grand Marnier and iced tea in a tall glass
  • Add ice and/or lemon wedge to drink for extra flavor
  • The iced tea washes out most of the liquor flavor
  • so add as much Grand Marnier as you wish.

Drink up!:)

Just FWIW, do people really think that "potty trained" adults don't cause any fecal contamination in pools and hot tubs? Like it or not, there are no posted standards or inspections for butt wiping.

Of greater concern is what pathogens may be present in any amount of fecal matter and the general hygiene technique of other "potty trained" bathers. A sick "potty trained" person in a pool is a far greater health hazard to other bathers that a healthy one in a swim diaper.

I'm not debating the rule - I think it's a good one. I'm just saying that "potty training" isn't a health standard, nor does the enforcement of the rule make the water arbitrarily safer.

Archived