Starting to get worried!

Not posted on here before but very impressed by the friendliness of this forum. When I first registered two weeks ago we had just booked our first cruise and had loads of questions. We didn't need to ask any of them because we found all the answers we needed (Grannypops your postings are amazing!).

What I am getting worried about is that we are supposed to be going on The Spirit for the Pharohs and Promised Land Cruise next Wednesday, 21st. But will there be any flights going by then?? The past couple of days have been so frustrating.

Not posted on here before but very impressed by the friendliness of this forum. When I first registered two weeks ago we had just booked our first cruise and had loads of questions. We didn't need to ask any of them because we found all the answers we needed (Grannypops your postings are amazing!).

What I am getting worried about is that we are supposed to be going on The Spirit for the Pharohs and Promised Land Cruise next Wednesday, 21st. But will there be any flights going by then?? The past couple of days have been so frustrating.

I suspect things will have calmed down by then so relax and look forward to your cruise

You may want to investigate alternate travel possibilities, just in case.

Sadly, this isn't really an option. :( Thomson are a fly/cruise company (at least for almost all passengers - just a minute percentage join as 'cruise only' passengers) therefore we are all tied into Thomson flights (they have their own fleet of aircraft) as well as their cruise ships. In any case, we're not certain whether the ships are following their scedules at the moment - some have 100's of passengers still to disembark from last Friday.

There are distinct advantages in such a 'package' with Thomson as passengers are 'looked after' by Thomson if there are travel disruptions, ship delays etc. Once you are in their system they will get you back to your departure point. Those passengers currently stranded in the Red Sea, Med etc. are being taken care of by Thomson - the end of their cruise hasn't brought the end of Thomson's obligations to their customers. The ones who haven't set out yet are stuck here until Thomson can fly them out and that remains a serious problem - unfortunately. We totally in Thomson's hands in respect of the arrangements and logistics.

I just hope things can get back to normal for everyone as soon as possible. I'm so sorry for those hoping to travel imminently. Lets keep our fingers crossed! :)

we too are due to go on the SPirit on 21st April ex DSA but in view of the comments on the BBC at 9.30 am today from an expert we are now pretty pessimistic about a flight going out from Doncaster Sheffield or the whole of UK on that date. He said the air will take several days to clear now and if the eruptions continue the problem will last longer. In addition the wind is light and in the wrong direction - there was no good news.

What happens if Thomson can't fly you out at all? There must be a point at which a 7 night cruise is just not worth going on.

For example, if your 7 nighter is reduced to a 2 nighter, would they still expect you to go and pay the full cost.

What about a refund if you can't go :eek:

What happens if Thomson can't fly you out at all? There must be a point at which a 7 night cruise is just not worth going on.

For example, if your 7 nighter is reduced to a 2 nighter, would they still expect you to go and pay the full cost.

What about a refund if you can't go :eek:

I don't really know -My understanding is that if the cruise is canclled and you have booked it as a FLY CRUISE package with Thomson you get a full refund or the option to put the money towards another cruise etc

If they fly you out to leave you with part of a cruise ( ie a shortened cruise ) I don't know what happens. This may depend on whether it is possible. If say all the southern flights can fly out but all the Scotland and Northern England flights can not then the cruise must start (?? or must it ? ) for those people on board and those still in the UK can not easily catch the ship up as Thomsonfly would have to arrange flights to airports they never use possibly etc

It's very unfortunate for everyone including the Cruise operators and their flights. Whilst it is easy to get down about this when you are due to fly out in 4 days I have detached myself from the emotion of it and if the expert is correct then the issues will mean this cruise is in grave danger of being at best interrupted.

The reason I am worried is I have a cruise from Palma in 5 weeks time and another 5 weeks after that. I don't want to be paying nearly 5 grand for a cruise I might not get to go on.

As this is a 'act of god' or similar does this allow for no refunds, e.g tough:(

Worth keeping an eye on here

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/alerts/thomsonfly-travel-alert.html

Unfortunately no mention regarding cruisers but notice although no restrictions as yet they are allowing customers due to travel on Monday 19th to amend their booking to an alternative holiday or flight without incurring charges

Noticed OV are offering full refunds

Any customers who should have flown out yesterday for the OV 1 week cruise will be fully refunded. Those customers that were to fly out for 14 nights, can either take a full refund or Ocean Village can try and arrange flights for the 2nd half of the cruise flights permitting.

I just had a brave attempt at reading Thomsons small print. As the cruises are considered packages (not if you arrange your own flights) It appears that the worst case would be a choice of a full refund or other cruise/holiday of equivalent value. No additional compensation though as the volcano is I suppose a natural disaster.

You mentioned shortened cruises, Dave. Obviously we don't know at what point Thomson would deem that your cruise had been shortened to the point where it no longer resembled the holiday you had booked. We've had experience of a delayed start due to technical issues (the ship broke down) so we were accommodated in hotels (Radisson and Hilton) until the next day and because we sailed late missed two of the ports of call. I think everyone had a 20% discount on the price they'd paid. I feel sure you would get some compensation - or in the worst case scenario a full refund but when a decision would be made and how much of your cruise was disrupted only time will tell. Just wish the d***** volcano would go back to sleep!

The reason I am worried is I have a cruise from Palma in 5 weeks time and another 5 weeks after that. I don't want to be paying nearly 5 grand for a cruise I might not get to go on.

As this is a 'act of god' or similar does this allow for no refunds, e.g tough:(

HI Dave and all,

In yesterday's Daily Mail an insurance co. tried the "Act of God" line on a couple claiming. But spokesman for Association of British insurers said "There is no act of god exclusion in insurance policies. .... The policy will set out what is insured and what the main exclusions are. If lloss occurs from an event covered the insurer will pay out"

Thomson's website has been updating regularly and if flights out are cancelled they will amend holiday to another date or if you are unable to do so will cancel and give full refund.

It does say at the top Thomson fly, but in the wording definitely uses the word holiday several times.

Berwyn

so here we are late on sat night. i am due to fly to londonfrom edinburgh on wed afternoon. then to palma on thurs early am.

\\is there any chance of this at all? really donst look like it.

if the volcano stops, if the ash clears, if the back log clears, if the planes and crew are in the right place..... a lot of ifs

i am thinking this cruise has been destined to fail since it rammed the deck at sharm

Sorry, ranting.... depressed

Crikey, nervous times.

you could try to travel to London by train as you have both the east and west coast lines to choose from.

the question is, when will Thomsons say Thursday departures are cancelled?

Crikey, nervous times.

you could try to travel to London by train as you have both the east and west coast lines to choose from.

so here we are late on sat night. i am due to fly to londonfrom edinburgh on wed afternoon. then to palma on thurs early am.

\\is there any chance of this at all? really donst look like it.

if the volcano stops, if the ash clears, if the back log clears, if the planes and crew are in the right place..... a lot of ifs

i am thinking this cruise has been destined to fail since it rammed the deck at sharm

Sorry, ranting.... depressed

Hi Isabel and Dave,

Thomson's will be waiting like the rest of us for the info from that NATS agency that tells them if it's safe to fly.

YOu rant away Isabel, you and the others on your cruise and those going at the end of your week on other ships have a lot more to worry about than those of us going on the 27th April. And I'm worried enough .

It feels like it's been jinxed from the start.

Berwyn

Crikey, nervous times.

At the moment isn't the situation slightly better in Scotland than southern England even though both are no flights.By better I mean there is slightly less of th ecloud at the time of writing over Scotland than there is elsewhere.

I would not recommend trying to pre empt changes of airport and would wiat for Thomson. We are due to go on Weds 21st from Doncaster to Paphos for the Spirit but to be honest with you I have already mentally told myself we will not be going as I am now more inclined to think that from the information from "experts" who say the situation is unlikely to improve for a few days.

As for when they will say when the flights are not going - that will be not easy to say - all you can do is watch the announcements and see.

i hear what you are saying about being able to get to london by other method on wed. but i think they are saying that though the cloud might disperse from scotand /ireland it is drifting south. Does that not mean that getting a flight over spanish/french airspace and into majorca might be difficult. Even have been looking options overland/sea to majorca . A long , very convaluted route. but even then , they are not going to sail a half empty cruise. Better thomson said its 2 day tester cruise to britain and picked us all up here. Rosyth has a fine ferry port

Now wouldn,t that be a good idea , for thomsons to sail around the british isles picking up their passengers at various ports ;) :D

do hope that you all get off ok

mrs.c

Hi Mrs.c.

Not looking hopeful, even for us going on the 27th.

A hole in the boat was bad enough, but who would reckon on an erupting volcano :eek:

Berwyn

i hear what you are saying about being able to get to london by other method on wed. but i think they are saying that though the cloud might disperse from scotand /ireland it is drifting south. Does that not mean that getting a flight over spanish/french airspace and into majorca might be difficult. Even have been looking options overland/sea to majorca . A long , very convaluted route. but even then , they are not going to sail a half empty cruise. Better thomson said its 2 day tester cruise to britain and picked us all up here. Rosyth has a fine ferry port

I am a little puzzled as to why you would want to try and now make your own way to Palma but congratulte you on your enthusiasm to not be beaten by the volcano.

Whilst I most certainly can not speak for Thomsons themselves I would very much expect that if there are no flights out of the UK for the first passenger cruise on this ship then I can not see them sailing it with just a handful of people who have got there by train and ferry etc - I appreciate this is very disappointing but at least you have one more day of leeway than we do - we are due to fly on Weds 21st but as things stand at 10.30 am Sunday morning I have little hope in view of the comments from the experts now saying it will take days for the air to clear.In addition it just may be that the Thomsonfly planes at first are sent out empty to return the excess people from Benidorm,Torremolinos etc or Tenerife,Lanzarote etc rather than ship new people out to cruise ports. The longer it goes on the worse the backlog will be of people who should be back in the UK and Thomson need to use that window of opportunity to do so if the volcano is still causing issues.

I have been monitoring the Thomson site and all outbound flights for monday are now cancelled.

For the days with cancelled flights you can re-book alternatives etc etc BUT did the wording change?

There are two paragraphs concerning what happens if your flights are cancelled.

Notice in the second paragraph it says 'we'. Who decides which is a suitable alternative holiday?. What if you can't go on a different date or don't think a cruise on Island Escape is a valid substitute for Dream, or want to go to the western Med, not Greece. Or even worse are offered a week in a hotel rather than a cruise.

Based on my thought that the wording used has been closely vetted by their legal experts are they looking for a way out of giving refunds?

Or is it just paranoia :confused:

I have been monitoring the Thomson site and all outbound flights for monday are now cancelled.

For the days with cancelled flights you can re-book alternatives etc etc BUT did the wording change?

There are two paragraphs concerning what happens if your flights are cancelled.

Notice in the second paragraph it says 'we'. Who decides which is a suitable alternative holiday?. What if you can't go on a different date or don't think a cruise on Island Escape is a valid substitute for Dream, or want to go to the western Med, not Greece. Or even worse are offered a week in a hotel rather than a cruise.

Based on my thought that the wording used has been closely vetted by their legal experts are they looking for a way out of giving refunds?

Or is it just paranoia :confused:

I have just read it and I don't think so.

Looks like the same wording to me just with new dates of new cancellations !

I have pasted it on to the link on this site for the 17th April announcement so they can be compared.

I think I have resigned myself to the fact that our first cruise is not going to be on the Spirit this Wednesday. Each day that passes just looks to have the same news as the day before, but just a different date! Is would seem that even if the volcano was to stop right now it would still be days before there would be any flights. Looks as if I will just have to prepare myself for going to work instead of going to the pyramids!!!

Archived