OV - Thomson Acquisition ? 2011

I am just catching up on this topic after "lurking" on the Ocean Village (OV) boards.

Am I correct in thinking that Thomson might add OV ship(s) to their fleet for 2011 and if so is it just "Scuttlebut" (rumour) or based on inside info ?

I raise this question as it has a bearing on my decisions relating to the new brochure expected April 29th. For example, additional fleet = different OV itineraries, departure ports as per OV etc

I suspect the Thomson fleet will grow with the aquisition of OV. We will have to wait and see.

The main thing is IMO is that people who enjoy cruising settle on a company that delivers satisfaction for them and I hope that if Thomson include other travellers from OV that they try not to be all things for all men.

Finally it was an eye opener contrasting the different cruise styles from lurking on the OV site and their views on "jumping ship".

The demise of OV this year certainly leaves a gap in the market which nobody seems to be attempting to exploit. Island Escape has current problems and I reckon if Thomsons aquire another ship in 2011 it will be a replacement for Destiny which may then become a 'OV'.

Of course this is all pure speculation :)

The demise of OV this year certainly leaves a gap in the market which nobody seems to be attempting to exploit. Island Escape has current problems and I reckon if Thomsons aquire another ship in 2011 it will be a replacement for Destiny which may then become a 'OV'.

Of course this is all pure speculation :)

I don't know anything but I would surprised if Thomson did not renew their lease on the Destiny for a period of time ( may not be as long as the last lease ) - After all the ship is ideal for the Thomson package and just needs some minor amendments and updating. As long as Thomson use it in the right climates it will be very successful - where they have failed in my opinion is to try and use it in the Med out of season where the Lido is not suitable for use in October etc. It would be sad to see this ship go. If I were Thomson Cruises I would add another ship to capture the OV market and one ship that could be suitable is the Louis Majesty.

I don't know anything but I would surprised if Thomson did not renew their lease on the Destiny for a period of time ( may not be as long as the last lease ) - After all the ship is ideal for the Thomson package and just needs some minor amendments and updating. As long as Thomson use it in the right climates it will be very successful - where they have failed in my opinion is to try and use it in the Med out of season where the Lido is not suitable for use in October etc. It would be sad to see this ship go. If I were Thomson Cruises I would add another ship to capture the OV market and one ship that could be suitable is the Louis Majesty.

I agree the Destiny is good for certain itineraries - we particularly enjoyed the Caribbean itineraries. :) Yes, the Lido can be a bit chilly in the Med! :(

I really don't know whether Thomson will continue to extend their lease of Destiny - but it is certainly better for them to have the 'bare boat' lease as on Celebration and Dream. The prospect of getting new ships (to Thomson) on this preferred lease option would be a priority I would imagine.

Archived