You got a cheaper quote....

You got a cheaper quote...than your travel agent gave you by $250. You have already booked it, and really like the cabin. What would you do?

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02
Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03
Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03
Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03
Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04
Caribbean Princess ~ 8/14/04
Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05

This has actually just happened to me.... and I'm wondering what to do. My TA has worked with me for the past week and a half to get this cruise to all come together, and then I just checked on Quickcruise and it comes in almost $300 cheaper for the two of us. We've already put down our deposit. Should I ask him to match it? Is he going to freak on me when I tell him that the other price I found was through an internet website?

Thanks,
Liz

ps. I should mention that it's same category, and only a few doors down from what my TA booked, so we're comparing apples to apples.

insist they match the price. many businesses today will match internet prices plus an additional 10 percent off (110 percent guarantee). they should come up with something or just cancel and rebook. they want your business they have to earn it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lizzzys:
This has actually just happened to me.... and I'm wondering what to do. My TA has worked with me for the past week and a half to get this cruise to all come together, and then I just checked on Quickcruise and it comes in almost $300 cheaper for the two of us. We've already put down our deposit. Should I ask him to match it? Is he going to freak on me when I tell him that the other price I found was through an internet website?

Thanks,
Liz

ps. I should mention that it's same category, and only a few doors down from what my TA booked, so we're comparing apples to apples.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm tough one.. You're from Alberta, are we talking $300 Cdn or US? I'd definitely give him/her a chance to match it and if they can't, I'd have to decide based on our relationship, do you use them often, have they given you good service in the past? If this was the a first time using them and they can't match it, I'd jump at Cruisequick and if you feel bad for the work that they've done, send the agent a bottle of wine for their trouble.

Some Ship, Some Itinerary, Somewhere in the Med.
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2006;5;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas
11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas
Alaska - Dawn Princess
Coastal - Island Princess

If your TA did a lot of work to book it for you - calling serveral cruise lines spending time with you talking about what kind of experience you wanted, etc., you owe him or her the chance to keep your booking. If cruisequick just gave you a quote based on specific information your TA got for you, they're reaping the benefit of the TA's work.

Call your TA, tell him or her what you learned and see what they say. If they did a lot of work and can only meet you halfway, consider the value of their time.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] until the Voyager of the Seas

I guess I'm a little different on this one but not by much. If you TA did a lot of work for you, I think you should leave the booking alone and figure the additional cost is for the work he/she did for you.

Cruisequick is a great site to get cheap cruises but those prices are based on the fact that they don't do any of the leg work for you. I feel that it is less then ethical to ask someone else to do all the leg work for you, then hit them with a rock bottom rate from someone who does no work in researching the cruise for you.

I do a LOT of research and leg work looking for a cruise. I don't ask a TA to do any of the leg work looking for cruises, recomending cruise lines, cabins or dates. I do shop prices onlne but that's all I ask for. This way, I don't feel that I owe anyone anything and I can stay loyal to my wallet without feeling that I've used someone else to obtain all my information for me.

So, I say if the TA did a lot of work for you, leave the booking with the person that's done the work for you. If all your TA did for you was shop for a price, I wouldn't hesitate to ask them to match the price.

Future cruises
Explorer OTS - Easter Caribbean 11/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
Brilliance OTS - Mediteranian 10/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;10;15;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

Past cruises
Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03
Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

Never regret growing old. Many are denied the privilege

dougp...~
I agree with you. Customer service is worth extra $$$. I have done most of the work by picking out the cabin, date, ship and itinerary. They gave me quotes and did answer some questions. I think I will ask hoping to get a slightly better price...but I will not switch agents. I have worked with an all online agent and have not been completely satisfied with customer service.

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02
Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03
Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03
Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03
Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04
Caribbean Princess ~ 8/14/04
Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cruise Junky:
If this was the a first time using them and they can't match it, I'd jump at Cruisequick and if you feel bad for the work that they've done, send the agent a bottle of wine for their trouble.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good advice Cruise Junky. I haven't worked with the TA before, but he is my BIL's TA and he has worked with him plenty in the past.

You're correct, I am from Alberta and it was $300 CDN difference. I do feel bad for the work he has done if they can't match it but I do think it's prudent to at least ask.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Liz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
So, I say if the TA did a lot of work for you, leave the booking with the person that's done the work for you. If all your TA did for you was shop for a price, I wouldn't hesitate to ask them to match the price.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true too Dougp. He did to quite a bit of work for me. More on the flight end of things than the cruise as I'd already chosen the ship and category for AOS. All he had to do was get me price. But he put up with my switch of plans from the AOS to the EOS (because we decided to use points for the flights and didn't have enough to Puerto Rico)and he saved my skin by alerting me to the potential disaster of not having enough connecting time on one leg of our trip (that I booked through points) He didn't even have to look at my flight itinerary, but he did.

On second thought, I think I'll leave it. I appreciate all of the suggestions.

And sorry for highjacking your thread lmmn!

Liz

Liz, Ask the agent.
I've used my same agent since the 90's when I took my first cruise... she helped me plan a cruise over the holidays as a present for my mother. She helped me pick and plan it. Then I found it 300 bucks cheaper on an internet site. I called and asked my agent if she could get that rate. She couldn't. I told her it was ok, I would stay with her. She refused... insisted I book with the internet site and have that extra 300 to spend on the ship. Smart move as I have been using her for years now. But you'll be surprised how many agents will do whatever to save you money especially if they know it's repeat customers.

WC

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;10;03;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
till we MARINATE on the MARINER!

Navigator of the Seas, 2003
Monarch of the Seas,'96 & '02
Nordic Empress, '98 & '00
Sun Viking '90
Song of America '92

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> [I]insist they match the price. many businesses today will match internet prices plus an additional 10 percent off (110 percent guarantee). they should come up with something or just cancel and rebook. they want your business they have to earn it.[/I]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not necessarily true since most cruise lines only pay the agent between 10-13% (some are higher) the liklihood of this happening is slim to none. If your agent worked for you to help you find this cruise and narrow down your choices, chances are he/she already has money invested in your cruise through time and telephone calls -- you should let them know and see what they can do, but I would never take the booking and give it to some online company who didnt do any of the work. JMHO

Mariner 6/27/04

Archived