Awesome Precruise Miami Restaurant!

jerseygirl3

Okay, so I have mixed feelings about sharing info about this little gem of a restaurant. I fear it will become overrun with Cruise Critics and I'll never be able to get a reservation again! Well, given the fact that I am so altruistic, I will take my chances and tell you all about this wonderful restaurant.

My sister is actually the one who stumbled upon it about 6 weeks ago while she was staying at the Intercontinental Hotel Miami. The hotel didn't recommend it (tsk, tsk...they really should), but she found it on her own. Anyway, while she was eating dinner, she kept texting me and sending me photos of each course, raving about how wonderful the food was. Since we knew we'd (DH and I and my sister, her DH, and their 9-year-old twins) be meeting up in Miami last week for two night precruise to the Celebrity Century, we just had to make a dinner reservation there.

We stopped in the day before while we were out walking around to make a reservation. The staff could not have been more accommodating. They gave us the time we wanted and even asked if we had a preference where we'd like to sit. Having taken of that, we eagerly awaited our dining experience for the following evening.

We arrived at 7 p.m. to find our lovely table waiting. White linen table cloth, linen napkins, short little vases with red roses and tealight candles added to the ambiance. We started with a bottle of cabarnet sauvignon, which was lovely. Now for the best part...the food! And folks, this ain't "Olive Garden" Italian food...this is authentic Italian!

Among the appetizers we selected were:

Zuppa Di Cozze - Sautee of fresh mussels, fish broth, extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic, white wine, parsley and crushed red pepper served with homemade crostini bread. To die for! The mussels were small and tender, with loads of flavor. A winner!

Frittura Di Pesce - Tender squid rings and shrimp, lightly floured and fried. Served with spicy Italian marinara sauce. Outstanding!

Also ordered Bruschetta Puntino that was excellent, and another appetizer that consisted of fresh mozzarella with imported Parma prosciutto that was buttery and just melted in your mouth, along with freshly toasted French baguette.

For our main course, our orders went something like this:

Lasagna for the kids. My sister asked the waitress if she would kindly split the dish and not let the kids know they were sharing, and this was happily done. We weren't even charged for sharing a dish and the kids were none the wiser!

Ravioli Al Granchio - Homemade ravioli filled with jumbo crab meat and lemon zest and served in a light pink sauce. So plentiful we all had a taste and there was still leftover.

Rigatoni All 'Amatriciana - with Italian bacon, onions, fresh tomatoes and pecorino cheese. So flavorful, each and every ingredient burst in your mouth.

Pennette Funghi - Penne pasta with sauteed mushrooms and truffle oil, served with a creamy tomato sauce. My sister's favorite and oh so flavorful. This one's a keeper!

Although not on the menu, we asked for a big plate of linquine and lots of fresh fish. The staff happily complied and served a huge platter of perfectly cooked (al dente) linguine with mounds of shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels, squid. All this with a "just right heat" fra diavolo marinara sauce

Along the way, we also had a couple more bottles of vino (Sangiovese and more Cab Sav).

This dinner was not just outstanding food and service, but an entire experience. The chef came out and introduced himself. The owner was absolutely charming (and much younger than I expected) and told us his family owned several restaurants in Italy, most notably in Naples and Rome (if I recall correctly, by this time the wine was flowing...LOL). We even got to meet the artist who did all the artwork for the restaurant (pop art to the extreme, what a talent he is). His name is Leonardo Hidalgo and he hails from Equador. If you get a chance, google him and check out his artwork...he is crazy talented!!!

Our dining experience lasted approx. 3 hours (per our request). Of course, if you prefer a speedier meal (but why would you?), it wouldn't take that long. We were too stuffed for dessert, but I have no doubt those selections are all winners as well.

You would expect that the prices for a Miami downtown restaurant of this quality would break the bank...but you would be wrong! When you check out the prices, I think you'll be happily surprised at how affordable it is to eat at Puntino.

I am putting the link to this restaurant so others can partake of this gustatory feast the next time they are in Miami. It is located just a block from Bayside Marina, so it's easily accessible and in a safe area for walking.

I would like to thank Cristoforo Pignata and his staff for the wonderful attention to detail provided us on this most memorable evening. We will surely make this a mandatory stop on every future visit to Miami!

http://puntinodowntown.com/

Mangia!!!

Jo-Ann

Upcoming Cruises:

Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas 10/16/2010

Celebrity Eclipse 2/12/2011

Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas TA 10/29/2011

Celebrity Silhouette 2/10/2012

Why not put your review over on the East Coast departure board for Florida. It will be appreciated there! ;)

I already did! I also thought Celebrity's board would be a good place for it as well, since Century leaves out of Miami.

Jo-Ann

I already did! I also thought Celebrity's board would be a good place for it as well, since Century leaves out of Miami.

Jo-Ann

Great! I must have missed it. The menu sure looks yummy! And I like the atmosphere. Thanks!

Archived