A change in cruising to South America??

Marken

I just noticed an interesting article in our Sunday Paper "The Province" about cruises to South America this is pretty much how it reads- from Phil Reimer, Ports and Bows

" Is the end of Antarctica cruising for large cruise ships?

The International maritime Organization has announced a ban on the carrying of heavy fuel for ships sailing in Antarctica. The ban takes effect Aug. 1 2011.

Princess, Holland America and Celebrity are three operators that have sailed in Antarctic waters, allowing consumers to see penguins and icebergs, but they do not deploy smaller boasts ashore as often as smaller cruise ships do, which are built for the region. The ban, as I understand it, will not allow the ships to carry heavy fuel. This means they could not switch to lighter fuels, then back to the heavier fuels, once out of the protected waters, thus making the journey to Antarctica extremely expensive. Will ships like the Star Princess, Veendam and Infinity, all scheduled to sail in Antarctica waters this upcoming winter season, do so again in 2012? Schedules for that season have not yet been released."

It also goes on to say "Largely, it will be the large, cruise-only vessels that are affected, rather than the smaller expedition ships that most people think of as Antarctic cruising. IAATO expects passenger traffic in 2011-12 will drop from 15,00 passengers a season to 6,000 as a result of the ban"

Has anyone heard anything about this?

I did get to talk to a shore excursion agent for NCL on my March trip at a coctail party. She mentioned this and told me, IF I wanted to go to Antarctica within the next couple years, as the visitation was open to being very very limited. Polution was the key factor in the limitations.

For me, I would never consider going there on a regular cruiseship, like the above listed anyway. Would definately NOT be worth it to me, as I want a small ship with a small number of people and muliple access to landings.

Archived