Confused on door size/scooter fitting

pjs9876

I have been reading very carefully on the info about fitting a scooter through the door of a nonhandicapped room. My mother will be picking a scooter for home use this week. I would like for her to pick one that can fit through the door when we cruise. Currently planning for Emerald Princess in July in E731.

I thought the best choice looked like Pride Traveler. She tested it in the store. She is tiny and 98 pounds. The salesperson liked the Ultra. I read all the specs. But the big question is if she goes for the next size up-will it fit through the door without taking it apart? It is 22 inches wide.

So, should we choose the Traveler at 19 inches (goes about 10 miles)

Or, choose the bigger (go farther, better handles) at 22 inches?

I have been reading very carefully on the info about fitting a scooter through the door of a nonhandicapped room. My mother will be picking a scooter for home use this week. I would like for her to pick one that can fit through the door when we cruise. Currently planning for Emerald Princess in July in E731.

I thought the best choice looked like Pride Traveler. She tested it in the store. She is tiny and 98 pounds. The salesperson liked the Ultra. I read all the specs. But the big question is if she goes for the next size up-will it fit through the door without taking it apart? It is 22 inches wide.

So, should we choose the Traveler at 19 inches (goes about 10 miles)

Or, choose the bigger (go farther, better handles) at 22 inches?

First you need to put things in perspective.

• The Pride Go Go Ultra has a weight load capacity of 260 Lbs. Estimated battery distance was calculated using the manufacturers weight load capcity of 260 lbs.
  • You mother weighs 98lbs. Actual distance varies depending on the weight of the user. Even Pride tells you this in the manual.
  • Even if you add another 10# for anything she carries on the scooter, that's brings her weight load to 108 lbs. So in theory you're mother will probably get at least 10 miles a battery charge due to the light weight load.
  • So why pay the extra money for the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler when it appears the Pride Go Go Ultra will do the job ?
  • Now ask youself how many miles do you really think your mother will be driving the scooter on a daily basis including on the cruise ?
  • Sounds as though the Pride dealer is stirring you in the right direction in recommending the Pride Go Go Ultra for your mother.

FYI - CareVacations ( which is RRCL's approved rental supplier ) rents the 3 wheel Pride Go Go Traveler and I have been able drive it through a standard cabin doorway by removing the arms. With the arms it's a little harder to manuver through a standard cabin doorway. The Ultra being 19" wide shouod not be a problem with most standard cabin doorways. Remember when the cruise line quotes you the cabin door width you still have to subtract 2" for the door depth when open that cuts into the door openning.

Before picking a scooter a visit with a physical or occupational therapist would be a good idea in my opinion. I would have purchased the wrong machine without the assistance I got from a physical therapist. The look at your height, weight, movement disorder, standing and walking abilities etc. Then since they are not selling anything give you recommendations across different companies.

You should also remember that at some point you will be trying to transport this scooter in a vehicle. make sure it either folds or can be easily disassembled. My mother is average sized and uses a very small shoprider scootie with ease. it fit through the doors of the Carnival Sensation even with the armrests in place. A smaller scooter may also be easier to use at home as it will fit thru doorways and make tighter turns. Good luck!

My scooter fit through the Emerald cabin door great last week. I got it from Special Needs Group/Special Needs at Sea. Hope you have a great cruise! We did!

For reference Special Needs Group/Special Needs at Seas rents the Shop Rider Dasher 9 for cruises.

Archived