shopping on ship

smudgie

Hi Smudgie,

The ones I have been on have a shops that sell jewellery, alcohol (kept until you leave the cruise), t-shirts and other souvenirs and bits and pieces (like photo frames, soft toys), make up / beauty products, and clothing (dressy and casual) and bags. The ships usually have a "sale" during the cruise, which takes place in one of the dining room - they usually sell off things like bags and t-shirts (when I was in the caribbean they were selling Alaska t-shirts and nic nacks).

Hope this helps. I am sure that others will let you know what I have forgotten to include.

One of the stores will stock basic sundry items. but be aware that things such as aspirin, sea sickness remedies, etc. will be pricey. Logo wear -- hats, tee, sweatshirts -- are available, and will usually go on sale at some point in the cruise. Often a table will be set outside the entrance to catch passerbys' attention.

There's also "cruisewear," casual wear that IMO is rather tacky, but I guess it's one's taste that matters. Perfume, watches and jewelry in another store, but I haven't bothered.

On some Princess cruises, there could be a sale in one of the dining rooms with a lot of outdated merchandise. Went to it on my last cruise and brought some keyrings.

BTW, there will be plenty of "shoretalks" you can attend or watch on your in-cabin TV, but be aware that often "cruise recommended" stores in the ports are pitched as the place to shop at. Many times, you can walk a little further and find the same kind of merchandise for less money.

Hello Smudgie,

There is usually some really nice and EXPENSIVE jewellery on the ship. So make sure that you take hubby with you - or just sign it to his credit card!!

I had my eye on a beautiful tanzanite ring on our last cruise (although my DH stood outside the shop!). I think it was around $1500. Went back a few days later ...just to look again...and it had GONE!

Ah well...its nice to look! When I win the lottery.....I am lucky to be able to cruise so I won't complain!

what you buy on board must be reported on your customs form. They reprort large purchases and will stop you and check that you listed it. No Cuban cigars. And the DF allowance for liquor is w ltrs. even if the ship stops in St. Thomas unless you buy it there. The penalties for not reporting is high.

My SIL got some great "deals" the first two days of our cruise in February. She bought two watches, a pendant, cologne and something else that I have forgotten. She felt she got great prices on them compared to onshore. They were not expensive but just what she was looking for.

As I remember it was 20% off which may not be much but plenty to choose from early in the cruise.

Hello Smudgie,

There is usually some really nice and EXPENSIVE jewellery on the ship. So make sure that you take hubby with you - or just sign it to his credit card!!

I had my eye on a beautiful tanzanite ring on our last cruise (although my DH stood outside the shop!). I think it was around $1500. Went back a few days later ...just to look again...and it had GONE!

Ah well...its nice to look! When I win the lottery.....I am lucky to be able to cruise so I won't complain!

One bit of advice if you should purchase an expensive piece. Make sure you declare it on your customs form. US Customs can ask the ship to report anything they'd care to see. On our T/A last October, I bought DW a 3K set of TZ earrings. When I went to get off the ship (end of cruise) my card set off the annunciator indicating I needed special screening by US Customs. Had to pay an extra $350.00 dut on the earrings but the Customs officer told me the fine would have been $3,000 if I had not declared it.....:eek:

Bob

:) Depending on what you are looking for and where your cruise takes you, the prices on the ship might not be a bargin. We like to purchase Swarovski Crystal. We priced one item that was on the ship. When we got to Cabo we noticed a Swarovski store in the "up scale" mall.

Upon checking out the identical item that we found on the ship, it was about $500 LESS expensive at the store in Cabo.

We took the receipt back to show the store manager what we had paid and he did not seem very interested in the fact that we had paid considerably less.

They claim that they will match any price however, getting to agree is another issue.

Calogne was also less expensive OFF the ship.

Have fun shopping.

One thing to avoid shopping for while onboard, is local souvenirs. You will find them MUCH more reasonably priced on shore! For example, a woven bowl from the Embera Village cost me $30 in the Village.... a smaller piece was priced at $75 onboard the Coral.

th_IMG_1407.jpg

Archived