Can you buy cigarettes on board for smoking on board?

bulgargirl

I have decided to quit smoking on my next cruise. That's the plan stan. But I was wondering, if I start jonesing for a cigarette, will I just be able to purchase a pack onboard? (I could on my last cruise, but different line).

My willpower is weak. Which is why I still smoke. I'm wondering if I need to get patches or something. If there's none available, no problem - it won't matter if I'm tempted. And that's how I'd prefer to quit.

Thanks for any input!

Unfortunately for you, I'm pretty sure they're sold by the pack and given to you right away. Having hard candy to suck on helped me quit ... 30 years ago!! If you can quit it'll do you good, no matter how long you have smoked. :)

Cigarettes are sold by the carton in one of the shops on board. I've not seen them sold by the pack only. Not to say that they are NOT sold that way, but on the cruises we've been on, we were told that they were sold by the carton only. And yes, you can take the carton immediately back to your cabin, open apack & light up! I am speaking from the experience of having friends on board ask to buy a "pack" and were told they would have to go to the "shop" (gift, liquor, sundries -whatever each line calls the place where they're sold) and buy a carton.

If I am mistaken, I'm sure someone will show up soon to point it out! ;)

Head down to the bookstore and buy a copy of a book called:

Allen Carr's EASYWAY TO STOP SMOKING Penguin Books... or google search same and check out the webpage.

Three hours of reading... and you will stop. Easy as 1, 2 3.... no patches, no gum... nothing.

95% success rate! I kid you not... and I know from experience.... 13 years ago.

If you stop now you will feel sso damn good about yourself on the cruise... you caan head for the Salon and pamper yourself with all the money that would have 'gone up in smoke'!!!

Good luck!

Stephen

It's the best thing you can do for yourself. I'm rooting for you@!@!@!@

(But, to answer your question, I am pretty sure I saw guests buy Marlboro by the pack from bartender in Ocean Bar. But that was when smoking was permitted in that bar and it no longer is so this might be 'old news'.

Good luck. Promise yourself you'll come home from your cruise smoke free and DO IT.

I made a suggestion to check out EASYWAY TO STOP SMOKING on line. I just checked to make sure it is still the same. It is but there is an interview with Ashton Kutchner and Jay Leno. Two minute clip and everything that Kutchner says in ABSOLOUTELY TRUE and it is as simple as he says!

Stephen

You used to be able to buy by the pack at the bars. Don't know about now, so I guess I'm not much help, am I.

If you are serious about quitting, forget the gum and patch- all they do is keep nicotine in your body and sooner or later you have to wean yourself off them. Talk with your doctor about a prescription for Chantix. It's highly recommended by physicians. It is not nicotine replacement. You can start it a week to 10 days before your cruise while the program has you cutting down on the amount you smoke and then you will be ready to quit completely on the cruise. Ask your doctor.

If you are serious about quitting, forget the gum and patch- all they do is keep nicotine in your body and sooner or later you have to wean yourself off them. Talk with your doctor about a prescription for Chantix. It's highly recommended by physicians. It is not nicotine replacement. You can start it a week to 10 days before your cruise while the program has you cutting down on the amount you smoke and then you will be ready to quit completely on the cruise. Ask your doctor.

Peaches,

Please see my posts above re Allen Carr's EASYWAY TO STOP SMOKING. It actually works and you don't need to take any kind of drug and it is instantaneous... no wind down period. Sounds too good to believe but it is true. It actually teaches that teh nicotine patches, gum atc is just a big con to sell you something you really don't need. A drug like Chantrix is not going to make you stop if you don't want to. I'm sure a doctor would only prescribe if he thought it would do some good but if you don't need to take a drug, then why do it.

Cutting down does not actually work. As long as you put nicotine into your system, via cigarette, via patch or via gum, you will have that monkey on your back. Even if you get down to one smoke a day it does little more than make you crave that one smoke every day and it is the craving that you have to kill.

Check out EASYWAY.... then lets have some comments.

Stephen

I agree with the poster who suggested Alan Carr's book. It works. My wife and I tried Chantix. It actually reduced the craving but after three days I wanted to jump off a tall building from depression and my wife had a rash from head to toe. Some signficant side effects to it.

Carr's book is an easy read and does the trick - that and prayer...:D

You used to be able to buy by the pack at the bars. Don't know about now, so I guess I'm not much help, am I.

I don't want to have to resort to the patch or gum for exactly that reason! Though I don't think nicotine is *quite* as much of a problem for me as habit is.

Thanks for letting me know they do sell packs, kakalina, that's good to know. I'll just have to be more determined, I guess. My boyfriend's brewery just opened. He needs his nose to be able to smell his beers. I'd rather not ruin his skills with my smoke!

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. And I will check out that book.

quitter :p

Yes she is, and a very smart lady to realize that she needs to stop for her health and her boyfriends. Give her support not your usual anti non smoker insults.

Bulgargirl, I wish you all the luck in the world in your endeavor to be smoke free by the end of your cruise. Good luck and GO GIRL.

Yes she is, and a very smart lady to realize that she needs to stop for her health and her boyfriends. Give her support not your usual anti non smoker insults.

she doesn't need my support or her boyfriend's. as with any addiction, if you don't do it for yourself failure is probable.

she doesn't need my support or her boyfriend's. as with any addiction, if you don't do it for yourself failure is probable.

I agree with you but also disagree with you. Support does help with an addiction that is why they have AA etc. She is doing it for herself she said. She does need her boyfriends and all of our support. She is doing what she wants for the right reasons and that the bottom line.

I agree with you but also disagree with you. Support does help with an addiction that is why they have AA etc. She is doing it for herself she said. She does need her boyfriends and all of our support. She is doing what she wants for the right reasons and that the bottom line.

AA is an outstanding program, with millions of success stories. however, if you're asking if a drink is available at meetings, you're not ready to quit.

I have quit in the past (for five years! Why the heck did I start again???), and have a good idea of what works for me and what doesn't. It is obviously easier if the people around me aren't smoking, but that's not going to stop me if I want to smoke.

My boyfriend isn't pressuring me to quit. He just cant brew beer and smoke. And second hand smoke doesn't really help either. Well, I guess he can brew beer and smoke, it just wouldnt be as good.

So, anyway, thanks for the thoughts again everyone. And I don't mind jokes!

You can still buy cigarette by the pack from the bars. Look if you can stop, good for you, but don't beat yourself up if it takes several time to get it right or you just fail. The patch does work, know from exprience but took twice to get it right. It is a very hard habit to break and you really have to do it for yourself, not other people. Good Luck

Peaches,

Please see my posts above re Allen Carr's EASYWAY TO STOP SMOKING. It actually works and you don't need to take any kind of drug and it is instantaneous... no wind down period. Sounds too good to believe but it is true. It actually teaches that teh nicotine patches, gum atc is just a big con to sell you something you really don't need. A drug like Chantrix is not going to make you stop if you don't want to. I'm sure a doctor would only prescribe if he thought it would do some good but if you don't need to take a drug, then why do it.

Cutting down does not actually work. As long as you put nicotine into your system, via cigarette, via patch or via gum, you will have that monkey on your back. Even if you get down to one smoke a day it does little more than make you crave that one smoke every day and it is the craving that you have to kill.

Check out EASYWAY.... then lets have some comments.

Stephen

Stephen-

Thank you for the info on Easywasy. I certainly will look into it. I totally agree with your thoughts on nicotine being a total no-no when you are quitting. You do not smoke on Chantix either other than the first several days when you begin on a reduced dosage until it is in your system. Then there is no smoking allowed.

I have quit in the past (for five years! Why the heck did I start again???), and have a good idea of what works for me and what doesn't.

I also quit for 5 years....many years ago....so I know what you mean. Why did we start again? I know why I did and it's a really silly story. My first husband "made" me quit (and I'm truly glad that during those years I had my 2 children.) After I filed for divorce, I forced myself to start smoking again just to spite him. Man, I really showed him, huh? :eek::D

Another vote here for Allen Carr's book.

Also check out this online help group

http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Smoking-Addiction/support-group

I don't normally like this sort of thing but this one is very good.

These 2 things worked for me. No patches, gum or drugs. I have been quit now for 2 years afer over 40 years of 40 a day.

Good luck. I hope you make it.

One thing that Allen Carr's books dispells are the 'smyths' about nicotine.

For example....

Did you know that the 'high' from nicotine in a cigarette last for twenty minutes. After that time the drug is gone from your system! What makes you pick up the next cigarette is the act of doing something that has become a habbit. For a normal smoker ths means that they will simply pick up another cigarette right away... or an hour later or whenever, but they cycle continues.

I'll give you an example. When you are ready to do to bed aat night you might have a smoke... hopefully not actually in bed. If the nicotine was so demanding you would wake up twenty minutes later with your body demanding more of the drug. In fact what happens is that the average person will sleep right through the night. If you can get through eight hours without taking the drug during the night then there is no reason why you can't get through the next sixteen hours during the day.

Nicotine patches and gum put the drug in small doses into your system. Can you imagine an alcoholic who is put on small doses of gin or rum.... to wean you offf aalcohol?!!!!!!!!!! Common sense says it does not work.

Buying patches is simply a waste of money... like cigarettes themselves. Nice for the big drug companies but does you little good.

Carr's book make it all so simple and completely painless. I ain't kidding either. A few hours to read the book and then you are FREE! THAT is more powerful than any dam drug or habbit. Best of all, nothing else changes. You can still hang out with your favourite people and go to your favourite places.

And your boyfriend.... he is no longer kissing an 'dirty tar-tasting ashtray'! And if you think that is an overstatement... ask your boyfriend. Your clothes, you hair, your skin, your house.. no longer smells of smoke and you save thousands dollars every year.... enough to pay for a CRUISE!!!!!!!:cool:

Stephen

Some years ago I told a friend about Allen Carr's book. She went to her local Barnes & Noble and asked at the desk, "I'm looking for a book. Allen Carr's EASYWAY TO STOP SMOKING, published by Penguin Books?" The clerk replied, "All of the animal books are down the back." :eek:

Incidentally... when I stopped... a good friend had stopped two weeks before. We were out for dinner... actually it was lunch and dinner... one of those days. We were discussing 'art'. ;) That night, as I climbed into the taxi with a cigarette in one hand and two spare packs and Zippo in the other, Carolyn said, "Do you want to borrow the book?" and thrust it into my hand. Next morning I woke up, smoked, read the book and by midday I had became an ex smoker. Never went back to them, no craving, no desire at all to have one. I returned the book to my friend and she loaned it on to other people. To my knowledge that single copy has helped at least 20 people to stop smoking. Good luck!

Stephen

Archived