Can you buy cigarettes on board for smoking on board?

bulgargirl

Why aren't doctors selling this book in their offices? This is amazing. MD"s should be prescribing it

I have a friend in NJ I'd love to see quit. He's tried, unsuccessfully, and I am going to put a copy of this book in he mail to him. Though I don't smoke, I am interested to read it myself.

Why aren't doctors selling this book in their offices? This is amazing. MD"s should be prescribing it

I have a friend in NJ I'd love to see quit. He's tried, unsuccessfully, and I am going to put a copy of this book in he mail to him. Though I don't smoke, I am interested to read it myself.

Get a friend to stop and you are giving them a gift.... of life itself!

Check out the EASYWAY website. There are a couple of live inteviews... Ellen Degeners (I know I've spent her name wrong!) and Ashton Kutchner with Jau Lenno. The way Ashton describes it is EXACTLY the way it is!!!! Very funny interview... but again, as simple and a exactly the way it is.

Stephen

I smoked 30 yrs and LOVED it!! Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did. I quite 10/4/1996 when I left for a month long trip to Ireland. I used the gum. I was a total nicotine addict. Had nightmares, depression, anger, I was a witch with a capitol B! I am so glad I did. I still every now and again have a craving. The thing that amazed me is I didn't realize I SMELLED like that! Yuck. I must have quit 20 times before I really did it. Good Luck to you...you will be proud of yourself. I knew I was ready when I didn't hide a pack of cigs under the washing machine to have for an emergency when I quit.

Book, shmook! Just quit.:)

If it was as easy as that, there surely would be a very small number of smokers. I think deep down most smokers wish they never lit that first cigarette and started this addiction. Some doctors say it is harder to quit smoking than kicking a heroin habit. :eek:

How many smokers do you think really want to continue smoking knowing the health risk, the stink, much of society's attitude to smokers and the sheer inconvenience of finding a place smoking is permitted?

That being said, MILLIONS of people worldwide have quit so anyone who really wants to CAN quit.

I also quit for 5 years....many years ago....so I know what you mean. Why did we start again? I know why I did and it's a really silly story. My first husband "made" me quit (and I'm truly glad that during those years I had my 2 children.) After I filed for divorce, I forced myself to start smoking again just to spite him. Man, I really showed him, huh? :eek::D

Lol. I started up again during the divorce too! At least I'm not the only one.

Chantix can work! I smoked for over 50 years straight. Had my first cigarette when I was about 8 years old and was a steady smoker by the time I reached 11. Didn't really care if I quit or not but tryed Chantix after a friend talked me into it. My feelings were if it worked fine, if it didn't fine. I had a doctors appointment a short time later and he gladly wrote the prescription. I haven't had one cigarette since, over 2 years ago. Told my wife to try it, she smoked for over 30 years and never tryed to quit. She was the same way as I. Both of us used Chantix for about 4 months total. Neither of us have had one cigarette since taking the Chantix for one week per the instructions. Every once in a while I will still crave a cigarette but it only lasts a few minutes then you think about something else.

My wife and both put $200 a month into a savings account which we estimated were our cigarette expenses. We call the account our vacation/cruise discount package.

I smoked 30 yrs and LOVED it!! Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did. I quite 10/4/1996 when I left for a month long trip to Ireland. I used the gum. I was a total nicotine addict. Had nightmares, depression, anger, I was a witch with a capitol B! I am so glad I did. I still every now and again have a craving. The thing that amazed me is I didn't realize I SMELLED like that! Yuck. I must have quit 20 times before I really did it. Good Luck to you...you will be proud of yourself. I knew I was ready when I didn't hide a pack of cigs under the washing machine to have for an emergency when I quit.

My DD tried to quit using the "patch". It made her sick as a dog, but not because of "withdrawal". The patch contained a higher level of nicotine than the brand she smoked and her system rejected that level of poison.

I quit cold turkey. It took two to three weeks for the nicotine to leave my system. Had absolutely no withdrawal systems after that. The rest is just habit. Overcoming that takes a bit of patience and determination.

My DD tried to quit using the "patch". It made her sick as a dog, but not because of "withdrawal". The patch contained a higher level of nicotine than the brand she smoked and her system rejected that level of poison.

I quit cold turkey. It took two to three weeks for the nicotine to leave my system. Had absolutely no withdrawal systems after that. The rest is just habit. Overcoming that takes a bit of patience and determination.

Steve,

Allen Carr's book deal with stopping 'Cold Turkey'. His method is 'cold turkey' with a twist. He just gives you a bit more inforrmation on what happens when you quit and how you can easily deal with it. His information is that the nicotine is out of your system after twenty minutes. If you took you three weeks then you must have been on ten packs a day!!!!;) For some people cold turkey doesn't work. When it does work it just means that you are a better person than the rest of us!!!!:)

What concerns me here is the faact thaat the OP has not come back with any comments. I think the poor lady must be running scared. I suspect she is in that awful place... she is too frightened to quit.. afraid that she will change somehow, afraid that if she fails she will really need a ssmoke and she wont't have one handy. Too bad. the truth is that no one 'needs' a smoke. It does zilch for you. If you have a problem and smoke to get over it... the problem will still be there. Smoking doesn't make aany problem go away.

But how things have changed. I remember when you could smoke in the main dining room... the lido on starboard side was ALL smoking area as were all the bars! Changed days. You could smoke anywhere... even staff smoked in public!

Stephen

Steve,

Allen Carr's book deal with stopping 'Cold Turkey'. His method is 'cold turkey' with a twist. He just gives you a bit more inforrmation on what happens when you quit and how you can easily deal with it. His information is that the nicotine is out of your system after twenty minutes. If you took you three weeks then you must have been on ten packs a day!!!!;) For some people cold turkey doesn't work. When it does work it just means that you are a better person than the rest of us!!!!:)

What concerns me here is the faact thaat the OP has not come back with any comments. I think the poor lady must be running scared. I suspect she is in that awful place... she is too frightened to quit.. afraid that she will change somehow, afraid that if she fails she will really need a ssmoke and she wont't have one handy. Too bad. the truth is that no one 'needs' a smoke. It does zilch for you. If you have a problem and smoke to get over it... the problem will still be there. Smoking doesn't make aany problem go away.

But how things have changed. I remember when you could smoke in the main dining room... the lido on starboard side was ALL smoking area as were all the bars! Changed days. You could smoke anywhere... even staff smoked in public!

Stephen

I wasn't taking measurements. The two to three weeks was a quote from my physician.

BTW - It was a pack and a half p/day habit. :p

My major motivation to quit was the PRICE!!:eek:

I recall paying $1.10 a carton in a navy ship's store. They didn't cost much more in land based commissaries.

sidebar: that $1.10 is $8.60 in today's dollar.

When you smoke your last cigarette, your body's chemically dependent (physical dependency vs. mental dependency) on nicotine for 72 hours. If you quit cold turkey, after the 72 hrs, it becomes a mental issue (breaking the habit so to speak). So stay strong mentally and you can do it.

Laura

Book, shmook! Just quit.:)

There's someone who never had an addiction OR a bad habit that they had to try to break. And I do NOT agree that if one person can quit anyone can quit. There are people who have problems with addiction that they cannot overcome, and people who don't suffer quite as much. I had a very hard time quitting, over 8 years ago now, but with the help of the patch, one of my many attempts finally paid off. I found the right timing and the right frame of mind, and the stars all aligned one spring day, and then finally...BINGO! Now, I have no desire to smoke, but it was a hard fought battle. I also have heard about the 72 hour nicotine rule, and I don't think it's quite as simple as that either, because I felt physical withdrawal symptoms far longer than just 3 days. Again, I think some people are more addicted than others, for whatever reason.

Also, no amount of brow-beating from family, friends OR Cruise Critic members is going to do one bit of good. It's the smoker's own personal battle to fight. If the smoker needs support, they'll ask for it. Again, everyone is wired differently. I wish that people would just quit beating this subject into the ground here. It's tiresome. If you have a problem with HAL allowing smoking, take it up with HAL. If it's allowed on their line, then it's allowed. Or, you could take the advice of Stevesan here and just quit. Go where it's not allowed.

Archived