Volcano Hypothetical

Choinski

I'm on the Eurodam May 9th for the Rome - to - Rome leg of the trip. Assuming Rome continues to be clear and we arrive in time (we arrive three days before departure), but Rome is suddenly closed during the cruise itself, how realistic are the following options?

1. Stay 'stuck' in Rome indefinitely (not a bad option IMHO)

2. Negotiate with HAL to continue on to Barcelona, which has also been clear - Its a Saturday so conceivably we can be home by Memorial Day Monday

Would HAL even consider this option? Assuming things got so bad we couldn't leave Rome, I'd think HAL would suddenly find itself with alot of empty cabins. Conversely, would it allow people who missed the boat in Rome to board from another port of call? How flexible are they?

You can almost always join a missed ship at a later port if you can catch up. The only time that causes a problem is when it runs up against the *stupid* PVSA law regarding US ports.

I'm sure if the ship has empty cabins because of others not getting there, HAL would be only too happy to sell you one to get to Barcelona. :)

Hypotheticals are always almost impossible to answer.

The best answer is that HAL is a responsible company. They take the safety and comfort of their guests seriously and extreme circumstances will be handled when and if they arise with professionalism and as well as possible given the situation. They are a top notch company IMO and though certainly not perfect they try as hard as any travel company I know or have ever dealt with. They will deal with whatever hand gets dealt.

Flexibility and a roll with it attitude will be your best friend if that volcano jumps up and bites you.

Archived