Shame on you Adam Goldstein-CEO RCI

RCI must have a way of getting around the TSA regulations if the manifest has to be closed 72? hours before sailing then, because a couple that were on our cruise left one ship on the 15th. They then booked (on the 16th) to sail on the 18th!! So much for the TSA regs!

Just want to say that we need to recognize that the frustrated folks here are disappointed in missing their vacation. I'm sure that they'd prefer to not have the money or credit and get the vacation that was paid for instead. Unfortunately, that couldn't happen.

I became hugely disappointed when I realized that my vacation was "ruined" because the band I wanted to see couldn't leave England and had to cancel the entire US leg of the tour. I admit that the first thing I did was start doing the financial recovery and was quite fortunate that the band gave me adequate notice so that I could get my hotel and car rental fees refunded (I gave both 3 days notice so that they could try to resell and they agreed to not charge cancellation fee). AA wasn't as nice and I'm losing my airfare. I'm now trying to make lemonaide out of the lemons... searching YouTube for previous concert footage and enjoy my days off from work (I went in today for an unscheduled day...got LOTS accomplished since no one thought I'd be in...now about to enjoy 2 days off to just relax).

I think we should just take a moment from being angry to acknowledge that everyone is sad about the loss of their vacation through no fault of their own.

As a stockholder of RCL, I would just like to say thank you Adam Goldstein for abiding by your policy and taking care of the passengers who booked their airfare through Royal and/or took insurance out.

To the people that missed your cruise, I do feel sorry for you but certainly the OP's post is nothing but anger misplaced.

What a collection of unsympathetic responders! This was a natural disaster of unprecedented proportion in terms of its effect on the airline industry, and the customer should not bear the cost. RCCL has a reputation of indifference to customer concerns, and they continue to earn such a reputation in this case. How quick we are to side against this unfortunate passenger - I only wonder what our stance would be if we were in his shoes. Scary.

What a collection of unsympathetic responders! This was a natural disaster of unprecedented proportion in terms of its effect on the airline industry, and the customer should not bear the cost. RCCL has a reputation of indifference to customer concerns, and they continue to earn such a reputation in this case. How quick we are to side against this unfortunate passenger - I only wonder what our stance would be if we were in his shoes. Scary.

I get insurance and if booking a cruise to a foreign country, I book air through the cruiseline. I wouldn't be in his shoes. Not only that, I know how to accept responsibility for my actions and don't blame anyone else for my actions or lack there off.

Are hotels booking rooms? What is the difference? Unfortunately due to TSA requirements in the USA they can't sell cabins when people don't show up because the manifest is closed a couple of days prior to sailing. How do they know someone from Scotland (for example) isn't going to show up?

Misplaced Anger... so much of it here and so much more to come. :cool:

jc

As a stockholder of RCL, I would just like to say thank you Adam Goldstein for abiding by your policy and taking care of the passengers who booked their airfare through Royal and/or took insurance out.

To the people that missed your cruise, I do feel sorry for you but certainly the OP's post is nothing but anger misplaced.

Royal Caribbean are NOT looking after anyone even if they booked the flight as part of the Cruise package.

If you do not make the cruise you do not get a refund.

If you finish your cruise you are literally left on the dock in a foreign country all on your own.

If it was not for having a laptop I would have found it hard to find suitable accomadation, for me and several other cruise passengers.

And add to the problems Royal Carribean switched off the phones and Internet before we entered Miami ... so we could not help ourselves before we docked.

If I had any Royal caribbean stock I would dump it, this company will fail soon if it carries on like this, especially in Europe.

No one can really defend this horrendous customer service. It is not always about money and insurance is it about treating people right and trying to help, Royal Caribbean have simple failed.

:eek:

Royal Caribbean are NOT looking after anyone even if they booked the flight as part of the Cruise package.

From thier site:

Guests Who Purchased Air through Royal Caribbean

Those guests traveling on cruises departing April 17, 18 or 19, who were unable to travel to the ship due to airport closures, and who purchased air arrangements through Royal Caribbean, will be provided a refund of their air fare and a 100 percent Future Cruise Certificate in the amount of the cruise fare paid.

If you do not make the cruise you do not get a refund.

Why should you unless you booked air through RCCL.

If you finish your cruise you are literally left on the dock in a foreign country all on your own.

Not if you booked air through them - they will help you get air rebooked.

If it was not for having a laptop I would have found it hard to find suitable accomadation, for me and several other cruise passengers.

And add to the problems Royal Carribean switched off the phones and Internet before we entered Miami ... so we could not help ourselves before we docked.

If I had any Royal caribbean stock I would dump it, this company will fail soon if it carries on like this, especially in Europe.

Not failing here at all - stock is now worth more than 4 times what I paid for it. And if it fails in Europe - well maybe we will get a year round ship out of Galveston.

No one can really defend this horrendous customer service. It is not always about money and insurance is it about treating people right and trying to help, Royal Caribbean have simple failed.

:eek:

Customer service doesn't mean giving people something they didn't pay for. If they did that, the customers that paid extra for insurance and flight arrangements through Royal would have a very valid complaint.

Customer service doesn't mean giving people something they didn't pay for. If they did that, the customers that paid extra for insurance and flight arrangements through Royal would have a very valid complaint.

What I am highlighting to the Forum is what actually happened to us, i.e. the reality not what anyone thinks Royal Caribbean is or should be doing.

We have insurance and we booked our flight with Royal Caribbean and they DID NOT help us at all.

We are not looking for something we did not pay for, good customer service would have been some help from Royal Caribbean to assist us.

What they could have done ...

• Recommending a hotel
  • Used their buying power to get a good rate
  • Assisted with transport to the hotel
  • Re-booked our flights.
  • Provided phone services.
  • Made clear the airlines policies.

Royal Caribbean have lots of experienced people, who could have been used to help, this would have been minimal cost and boosted their reputaion. They have simply failed.

Actually if you read his post which has the details, he did in fact book his air through RCI in the UK. (C&D you really need to tell your whole story.)

I have a feeling that stock is going to tank soon.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24120359&highlight=#post24120359

What I am highlighting to the Forum is what actually happened to us, i.e. the reality not what anyone thinks Royal Caribbean is or should be doing.

We have insurance and we booked our flight with Royal Caribbean and they DID NOT help us at all.

We are not looking for something we did not pay for, good customer service would have been some help from Royal Caribbean to assist us.

What they could have done ...

• Recommending a hotel
  • Used their buying power to get a good rate
  • Assisted with transport to the hotel
  • Re-booked our flights.
  • Provided phone services.
  • Made clear the airlines policies.

Royal Caribbean have lots of experienced people, who could have been used to help, this would have been minimal cost and boosted their reputaion. They have simply failed.

If everything you say is true, the lawyers are going to be all over this. Save all your receipts and good luck. Hope you get home soon.

I do not believe I have read so much mis information or poor "advice" since first following CC Forums.

We lost our Brilliance sailing from Dubai on the 19th because we couldn't fly from Glasgow.

1. RCCL weren't offering Fly/Cruise packages so we had to put it together ourselves. As already stated, no refund or replacement offer on the cruise.

2. Emirates refunded and we managed to cancel hotels at both ends and most of the other peripherals (car parking etc.) The flight at the other end from Barcelona (BA) will be lost and so will it's cost.

3. Travel Insurance (UK) is unlikely to pay out as they are quoting "circumstances beyond their control" , my claim is in but I hae me doots !

So, back to the OP's comment; should RCCL be a little more sympathetic and helpful ?

I think so, but then I have a vested interest in the outcome. What I can say, it does not make me feel any better reading ill-informed comment such as some on this thread.

Luv

Cy:)

I hope your traveler's insurance comes through for you. When I had to cancel a trip due to surgery, the insurance company denied my claim. They considered it a pre-existing condition. However, Carnival Cruise LIne gave me a voucher for the entire amout paid.

Good Luck!

If everything you say is true, the lawyers are going to be all over this. Save all your receipts and good luck. Hope you get home soon.

Yes it is all true.

Receipts for a 3* hotel I found through Expedia and reasonably priced meals are being saved.

We arranged a re-booking of the flight ourselves and are booked on a flight on the 28th. Looking on the positive side Miami is a very nice place with helpful, welcoming people. There are lots of people who are worse off than me.

:)

Thanks for your good wishes.

What the hell do you actually want? Words of sympathy have been expressed. Would a couple of crocodile tears from strangers on a message board make you feel better? We're all sympathetic to disappointment over a missed cruise yet I don't get emotional over messages on here as a rule. The bottom line for me is that I expect a company to abide whatever contract I make with them as I assume they expect of me also. Any alterations after the fact need to be mutually agreed on rather than forced on the other party unfairly.

I understand perfectly why RCCL doesn't refund money based since they have not failed the OP in any way. That the OP couldn't get to the ship is his problem, not the ships. If I drive to the theater yet get a flat tire and miss the first act, is the theater *obligated* to refund my ticket price?

I have a feeling that stock is going to tank soon.

I honestly doubt it. Carnival is doing the same as Royal on this problem. So by your analysis of RCCL, Carnival stock will also tank. What will happen is that the dissatisfied passengers of the different brands will move to another brand that is in the same price point. Royal will loose some customers but will gain others from Princess, Carnival, and HAL. Not really going to effect the stock one way or the other in the long run.

But if your emotional prediction comes about, whatever, I will sell on the way down at a major profit. Then I will buy again when it hits bottom.

In a customer service industry there are good profits and bad profits and putting all the financial burden for a natural disaster on the consumer is bad profits. This customer is lost forever to RCI and they'll tell everyone they know how they were treated. Is RCI techically right? yeah, of course they are. Are they doing the right thing? Absolutely not.

If what some of you are suggesting that cruisers should only book packages with the lines is going to be true well then RCCL / X in particular will only be able to do about 1/3 of their business in europe and that is definately not their aim. However they are often simply not able to provide those flights so the cruiser either cannot book the cruise or MUST seek his/her own flights - it is that simple....

Now be fair I don't think any of those directly involved ever thought they would truely get a 100% refund. Most had hoped for some sort of deal where the refund would go as a part of a future cruise. THAT would have been good publicity AND those guest will probably become very loyal (remember the couple Carival left in Grand Cayman and then hitched a ride on RCCL to Cozumel - they paid RCCL to be able to take the rest of the cruise with them and abandoned the Carnival ship.)

In the end we might see the lines take another look at just how many are truely affected by this - up to now they just were not sure just how many it could be in the end but now that flights are slowly recovering and returning to normal chances are there are not going to be that many cruisers affected and they might take another look at what can be done to make people happy.

:mad:

Disgusting response, I hope it happens to you one day and see how you squeal then!!

And FYI most insurances are not paying out either so it wouldnt have made a difference.

For good publicity RCL should do something to help.

RCI must have a way of getting around the TSA regulations if the manifest has to be closed 72? hours before sailing then, because a couple that were on our cruise left one ship on the 15th. They then booked (on the 16th) to sail on the 18th!! So much for the TSA regs!

I think this is worse then you think. I have the impression RCI are re-selling the cabins where customers are missing flights, sometimes to people who can not get home. One couple on a criuse we were on were offered a cabin on Liberty of the Sea after they could not get home.

If RCI are making money from stranded passengers they should use this to give refunds.

Ok sometimes it is 48 hours. The same principle applies.

If your name is on the manifest the ship is expecting you to turn up. They cannot resell the cabin if they think you may make it or downline. There are many ships sailing with empty cabins because people have not yet officially cancelled their booking.

As a TA I have booked just one couple at short notice onto a transAtlantic leaving in a few weeks. I personally do not believe RCI are reselling their empty cabins at a vast rate.

I personally do not believe RCI are reselling their empty cabins at a vast rate.

Neither do I.

Passengers might find another way, fly somewhere else and onwards and meet the ship at another port!!

This closing the manifest means nothing once the ship LEAVES the US on this trip. and yes cruiselines leaving right now have sold out because those left stranded have to wait for several days in some cases they can only get flight that are well towards the end of NEXT week - so many tried to take the ships going TA. Cunard is not only sold out but has a wait list that is 1.000 persons long.

Now the volcanic ash is a REAL issue for many people. There are many hotels and resorts giving credit and refunds to those European travelers who are affected by the volcanic ash issue. So why can't Royal do the same? If the whole world recognizes that this has been a crisis and that hundreds and thousands of people have been affected why can't Royal? How are they any different from any of the big resorts that have decided to give future credit to those affected? Yes it is thier decision and legally they do not have to but for good ole customer loyaty it would seem they would take a more empathetic approach.

To follow your line of thinking, why aren't the insurance companies recognizing this as crisis and stepping up to pay off claims?

I believe this will end up in the courts but I also feel it should start with the insurance companies and not the cruise lines.

I truly am sorry for those that have had their travel plans ruined and I hope some satisfactory resolution will be obtained in the near future.

Insurance companies are saying they're paying under the Weather Condition Delay. And it's too early for any passenger to be able to say they were denied. So don't know where this "Insurance Isn't Paying" is coming from.

There are some saying that insurance companies don't have to cover this as per the policy limitations.

I believe there may also be some that may not have had insurance and they want RCI to refund their money or give them a cruise credit for future travel.

There are some saying that insurance companies don't have to cover this as per the policy limitations.

I believe there may also be some that may not have had insurance and they want RCI to refund their money or give them a cruise credit for future travel.

You are right on both, but now there is a third issue. (I'm not there, but do believe the reports I am hearing, several stories coming out of the UK press) RCI appears to be leaving disembarking passengers on their own. Many of whom did arrange air/cruise packages through RCI. BBC reports that according to EU law, the "tour operator", which would be RCI in these cases, is liable for accommadations, meals, and travel arrangements for their clients. According to C & D, they were told that this was being handled while they were onboard. Once they disembarked, they were not given any assistance and told to contact the airlines . Again, under EU law RCI was obligated to provide them with these services. Also, before you flame me and say Miami is not in the EU, the cruise/air packages were purchased in the EU therefore all EU laws apply. There was also another story, same situation of an elderly British couple left on the dock in Dubai after disembarking. Not good PR for any company whatever the cause. These are completely seperate issues from the OP. This is where I believe RCI is going to have leagal trouble. They did not fullfill their obligations. That is not an "emotional prediction", but an informed one. :D

Archived