Shame on you Adam Goldstein-CEO RCI

I would never shoot you down in Flames. Especially when you are right. :cool:

I don't buy insurance, but if my plans go to heck in the future, I won't blame the companies that don't give me a refund, for my not buying insurance against an insureable occurrence.

jc

Thank you jc.

But I can just imagine the exclusions which will appear in the near future on UK insurance policies. Will be at least five pages long. We are hoping that we will be able to fly back on Thursday - but we are fortunate and haven't had any really major problems - yet!!

May be Insurable where you come from but not here in the UK, which is where most of the affected passengers came from on my Brilliance cruise.

Anecdotaly, (spelling?) some 1250 could not travel !!!

Luv

Cy:)

Cy, in that case, you need to discuss with your government why something that is insureable in rest of the world isn't in your country. That must mean, since I always thought Lloyds of London invented insuring uninsureable things, that things have changed legally over the years?:confused:

jc

Thank you jc.

But I can just imagine the exclusions which will appear in the near future on UK insurance policies. Will be at least five pages long. We are hoping that we will be able to fly back on Thursday - but we are fortunate and haven't had any really major problems - yet!!

If they do this, that means the cost of the event is so significant that they can't do it financially, and yet many expect RCI to eat something that was not their fault...:D Dirt sandwiches suck, but it sucks less if someone else has to eat it.;)

Hope you and your mother get home safely and without undue stress!

jc

May be Insurable where you come from but not here in the UK, which is where most of the affected passengers came from on my Brilliance cruise.

Anecdotaly, (spelling?) some 1250 could not travel !!!

:)

I would not expect RCCL to give refunds to 1,250 people.

I would not expect RCCL to give refunds to 1,250 people.

You may be correct but a token acknowledgement that this was unusual circumstances would have been nice; no-one seems able to explain, at RCCL, why doing Air arrangements can so alter their terms and conditions. (which I fully accept since I signed them.)

luv

Cy:)

I do not believe I have read so much mis information or poor "advice" since first following CC Forums.

We lost our Brilliance sailing from Dubai on the 19th because we couldn't fly from Glasgow.

1. RCCL weren't offering Fly/Cruise packages so we had to put it together ourselves. As already stated, no refund or replacement offer on the cruise.

Really?

How can you explain the fact that I'm able to price air/sea package on www.royalcaribbean.uk.co today?

and guess what, it includes Glasgow as one of the departure airports...

Cy, in that case, you need to discuss with your government why something that is insureable in rest of the world isn't in your country. That must mean, since I always thought Lloyds of London invented insuring uninsureable things, that things have changed legally over the years?:confused:

jc

I fear that this Ash cloud will ensure even more exclusions from our travel insurance terms. Our medical exclusions are now so draconian that many people travel in ignorance.

I have heard of one company that says it is going to pay out so we may have some ammunition when we get to talking to the Ombudsman.

Incidentally we are such a multi cultural nation:rolleyes: now that "act of God" is no longer quoted, now it is "circumstances beyond our control" !! Good Innit !!

Luv

Cy:D

I think people are missing the point that, yes, this is not the fault of the cruise line, but (most) airlines are going the extra mile to provide good customer service. I heard on the radio this morning that they have lost over 1 billion dollars due to this volcano, but they are still TRYING to help people out. If Royal Caribbean isn't doing their part to provide customer service, then I agree, shame on them. Perhaps a 100% full refund isn't the right way to handle it either, but at least a credit on a future cruise?

I've worked in customer service for years, and it is never as black and white as the written policy is... you are dealing with human beings, sometimes with people who have saved up for years for a vacation with your company. I worked for an airline, and although we wouldn't give away the world due to a weather problem, we TRIED to help out a fellow human being that could EASILY be us. Yeah, yeah you can purchase insurance, but should you really anticipate a natural disaster such as this in a place that isn't exactly close to where you're going?

Have a little sympathy people ... and bend the rules to provide service to the people who pay your bills each month.

Totally agree :)

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Its awful that your entire holiday has been ruined by this volcanic activity - we are in Spain, hoping to return home soon and I do sympathise. But don't blame Royal Caribbean. You made your choices.

Presumably your insurance excluded this type of occurrence?

I know that from now on, insurance will exclude volcanic activity.

But this does not involve just one night like the hotels!! Its an empty cabin through no fault of the cruiseline and it was there if you wanted it.

On the other hand, RCI may reconsider its decision. Has been known to do that.

Lesson to be learnt for ALL of us - just like taking cruiseline port tours - the cruiselines look after you if you book the whole package through them. Costs a bit more sometimes - but this is like insurance which you have to pay for.

They have not failed - the cabin is yours!!

We are here in Spain and will have to eat all the costs for any delays as have many others. Some are facing huge bills on their credit cards which they are unable to pay!!

You took a gamble on making all your own reservations and not doing it all through the cruiseline in order to save money - it didn't pay off - the gamble failed - not Royal Caribbean's fault.

We are worried sitting here in Spain wondering if we will get home - at least you are home safe and sound.

Sorry, but I am more concerned for those families stranded at ports and the elderly and infirm who are seriously at risk.

However, you may well make the cruise as the airports are now open - good luck with that.

OKAY EVERYONE - SHOOT ME DOWN IN FLAMES, BUT WE ARE HERE IN SPAIN EXPERIENCING THE HUGE PROBLEMS WHICH PEOPLE ARE FACING.

To the person in Sarasota that was where we planned to spend the 3rd week of our trip. We have been going every year to Siesta Key for the last 20 years. We never set a foot out of the UK without full travel insurance cover.

I did live on Siesta Key for about 15 years, within walking distance to the Village area, but about 2 years ago I bought a great condo in downtown area, right across the street from Marina Jacks. 10th floor, balcony with a beautiful view of the bay, Lido and Siesta Keys...:)

Loving it!

Really?

How can you explain the fact that I'm able to price air/sea package on www.royalcaribbean.uk.co today?

and guess what, it includes Glasgow as one of the departure airports...

You will note my D+ status so believe me when I tell you that they do not offer air /Cruise on All UK departures.

I book 2-4 a year and it depends entirely on the starting point of the cruise AND what agreements RCCL have with the airlines on the chosen route.

Back to my original post, too much conjecture and misinformation.:D

Luv

Cy

Our flights on 19th April from Scotland were cancelled due to Volcanic Ash resulting in all our plans to holiday in USA and our 25th April cruise on Liberty of the Seas cancelled.

We have never been so disappointed at the way RCI reacted.

Shame on you Mr Goldstein CEO RCI.

Continental Airlines - Full Refund

American Airlines - No Refund

Sofitel Miami - Full Refund

Royal Caribbean - Dont want to know.

Basically go away and dont bother us.

Dollar Car Rental - Partial Refund

Intercontinental Hotels - Full Refund

Tampa Hotel No Cancellation Charge.

Many of the above were bought as non refundables. Well done to each for changing their policies, except RCI.

The Volanic Ash is is a very unusual occurrence. How companies react can ensure future business or not. RCI failed.

Shame on you Mr Goldstein CEO RCI.

We asked if we could get a credit of some amount for our 24/25th cruise with RCI. (one off diamond plus). We were prepared to pay extra. Nope.

This reaction was contrary to what had been posted by RCI earlier and seemed to have been reversed.

Nope. Please go away, we are busy with real customers on our fly-cruise packages.

Shame on You Mr Goldstein CEO RCI.

Clearly the customer comes last in RCI culture.

Unless of course Mr Goldstein can prove me wrong.!!

Now, lets see where did I put that Princess brouchure!!!!!!!

Why didn't you buy trip insurance?

I think people are missing the point that, yes, this is not the fault of the cruise line, but (most) airlines are going the extra mile to provide good customer service. I heard on the radio this morning that they have lost over 1 billion dollars due to this volcano, but they are still TRYING to help people out. If Royal Caribbean isn't doing their part to provide customer service, then I agree, shame on them. Perhaps a 100% full refund isn't the right way to handle it either, but at least a credit on a future cruise?

I've worked in customer service for years, and it is never as black and white as the written policy is... you are dealing with human beings, sometimes with people who have saved up for years for a vacation with your company. I worked for an airline, and although we wouldn't give away the world due to a weather problem, we TRIED to help out a fellow human being that could EASILY be us. Yeah, yeah you can purchase insurance, but should you really anticipate a natural disaster such as this in a place that isn't exactly close to where you're going?

Have a little sympathy people ... and bend the rules to provide service to the people who pay your bills each month.

I believe you are missing the point. The airlines are not flying thus they have to accomodate the passengers in one way or another.

RC is sailing, and it's not their fault that you can't make it to the port. If you bought air/sea package, the cruiselines are refunding the money, but if you bought a cruise from Miami, Dubai, etc... ONLY!, then the cruiseline is not responsible for your other part of your travel plans.

Show up and the room is ready to go, don't you're SOL.

You will note my D+ status so believe me when I tell you that they do not offer air /Cruise on All UK departures.

I book 2-4 a year and it depends entirely on the starting point of the cruise AND what agreements RCCL have with the airlines on the chosen route.

Back to my original post, too much conjecture and misinformation.:D

Luv

Cy

how does that answer my question. What? All of the sudden they are offering air/sea packages?

Please...

how does that answer my question. What? All of the sudden they are offering air/sea packages?

Please...

At the risk of repeating myself, they DO NOT offer Air/Cruise on all routes, clearly the one you are quoting is one of the ones that they do.

On my Dubai/Brilliance one they did not, and many more people were in the same boat.

Can I put my point any clearer !!! Does that now answer your question ???:confused:

Or not in the same boat actually !!!!!

At the risk of repeating myself, they DO NOT offer Air/Cruise on all routes, clearly the one you are quoting is one of the ones that they do.

On my Dubai/Brilliance one they did not, and many more people were in the same boat.

Can I put my point any clearer !!! Does that now answer your question ???:confused:

Or not in the same boat actually !!!!!

and you're not getting my point. At the moment www.royalcaribbean.uk.co gives you a choice of cruise only out of Dubai or air/sea package from Glasgow/Dubai/Glasgow. Check it out. You may be surprised.

I began my post "Its awful that your entire holiday has been ruined by this volcanic activity - we are in Spain, hoping to return home soon and I do sympathise. But don't blame Royal Caribbean. You made your choices."

So don't say I showed no sympathy!! I used that very word!!!

We, and thousands of others, are stuck AWAY from home - a far more unpleasant scenario, I can assure you. And I certainly don't want or need YOUR sympathy. I am just stating how it is for thousands of people, including ourselves. You really can't say people are being dramatic if you don't know the circumstances. The situation here in Spain has been extremely traumatic for many people - especially families and the elderly.

Yes, this person possibly lost his cruise - but is not in an uncomfortable circumstance physically - and in fact, may well make the cruise anyway.

I believe HIS heading WAS unnecessarily dramatic - Royal Caribbean has done nothing wrong. All of us who book independent airfares, hotels, etc. take this gamble. In this case, it just didn't pay off.

I am most surprised that I have replied to your post with such courtesy - I must be slipping!! :D

There are always going to be people who are in a less, and more, severe predicament than any of us find ourselves. That does not make a predicament any less meaningful to the person experiencing it. I'm sure things are tough form you in Spain and for many others in European airports. I would also bet that if one were to give Haitians the choice of living in Port-Au-Prince or Heathrow airport for two weeks. Many would take the luxury vacation in the airport. People do not typically rank their circumstances in relation to others'.

And yes I did over react to your post. I did miss the begining and I apologize. But it does seem that whenever anyone vents about a problem here that they are bound to get jumped on. And it often is not done gently. That is just my perspective.

And thank you for your courteous reply to me.:p

and you're not getting my point. At the moment www.royalcaribbean.uk.co gives you a choice of cruise only out of Dubai or air/sea package from Glasgow/Dubai/Glasgow. Check it out. You may be surprised.

IT DID NOT when I booked my trip with them, understand now????

Nothing surprises me about RCCL and it's policys, I have been dealing with them too long.:D

I am very sympathetic to the OP, it sucks to have your vacation plans end up in the garbage can. I am sympathetic that they lost money, that always sucks.

I am, also, highly sympathetic to the poor RCI customer service agents. Can you imagine telling people, "No, there is no refund" and then listening to profanity and outrage all day long. :D Could imagine after a bit of that, the c s a might decide to get a bit edgy....;)

Not sure you I would like to be in that role today, would you?:D

jc

If those agents were posting here I am sure that many of us would show them plenty of sympathy.

Listen - THEY DON'T OFFER IT TO ALL COUNTRIES!!!! Check Belgium they don't offer the packages there but they now want to charge 100% if you don't arrive - They don't have the choice either way.

By the way I am not from the UK

Honestly IMO it doesn´t matter if it´s available in every country or not. Even in countries where RCI doesn´t offer this package deal and no insurance for this kind of thing is available, I still don´t see why RCI should have to eat the cost. Yeah it´s tough for the individual that is hit by this and haven´t had the option of "insure" this in any way (I use the term insure loosely and would include purchasing an air/sea package in this), but there´s never 100% in live and you just have to take some risks in every action you take. There will always be some people in a more fortunate situation than others.

Archived