Review, Just off the Star, Mexican Riviera

Coasty

Our first cruise, on Carnivals Tropical was to the Mexican Riviera in 1981. Some things change and some stay the same. Back then I got about 70 pesos for my greenbacks, now only about 12. That's a big change. Mexico was a beautiful country 29 years ago and I am happy to say it is still the same.

We live in Phoenix and took a 6 hour drive over to Long Beach, spent the night at the Holiday Inn. Got the room on Priceline for $65. Nice room, clean and friendly staff. They have a "Park & Cruise" deal, but will not take you to San Pedro. We were about ten miles from the San Pedro Cruise Port. In the morning we stopped by Denny's for their $2 breakfast special that ends up costing $10 for two. Didn't want to eat too much as we were looking forward to lunch aboard the Star. Drove over to the Star and dropped of our heavy luggage. We had made arrangements to park at a friends place just a short distance from the ship.

We walked in and declared two 1.5 liter bottles of wine and they put a stamp on each bottle. Said they would charge our on board account a $15 corkage fee for each. Check in was fast and then we were given a boarding group number and waited about 30 minutes before we were on the Star. Too early for lunch. Decided to check out our cabin, a BA balcony aft overlooking everywhere the ship had been. Cabin was exactly the same as we had on the NCL Spirit and there was a coffee pot, no frig. Met our Steward's (Roberto and Sebastian), nice boys that did a great job for us. They always greeted us by name and they were always willing to do a little extra to please.

The Star was in excellent shape and was spotless. If anyone got NV on this cruise we never heard about it. One of our Cruise Critic shipmates were enjoying their 33 sailing on the Star. They told us about changes that were underway to add staterooms where the Spinnaker Lounge was and move it to the back of the ship where the gift shops were. If they had not told us about the changes we would have never know any work was being done. Every crew member we met while walking about the ship greeted us with a hello or a smile. The ship is beautiful and NCL has done a wonderful job making us feel at home again.

We ordered Room Service each morning and it was always delivered on time. They would call us as they were heading our way to make sure we were up. Also ordered pizza once. And once was enough. However, the pizza at the Market wasn't that bad. But the stuff from Room Service was the worst pizza I have had in 65 years. Breakfast can be had at the Market, The Grill by the pool, main dinning room and the Blue Lagoon. We found the food at all the free restaurants to be very good and plenty of choices. We preferred Aqua for dinner and had lobster, prime rib, salmon and pork tenderloin. All very good. Service was great and seating was fast. We also had dinner at Endless Summer and paid $10 extra. Then to our favorite, Le Bistro for fillet and chocolate fondue. Add $20 each. Excellent food and service. Did not make reservations, just walked up and were taken to our table. Anyone that says they don't get enough, or the food is of poor quality or the service is bad, is just a damn fool. We have been on the Pearl, Spirit and now the Star and let me assure you we will be back.

Entertainment was good except for the dancers. It may be I was expecting "Dancing With the Stars", but these kids need a few more years of practice. Sorry, just thought they're a class D troupe.

Cabo is a tender port and is a pain to get off the ship. We did get off early and paid $4 to ride to Mama's Royal Cafe for the best breakfast in Mexico. Read about this on CC. The Stuffed French Toast and Lobster Benedict was as expected, the best ever when drinking Sol beer. Walked around and ran into CC friends, enjoyed the locals. Everyone was very nice and was surprised how clean the streets were.

Mazatlan. We did a self tour to Stone Island. Great sand, surf, and food. Went to Lefty's and our waiter Felix (a U.S. citizen) made sure we never ran out of Pacifico, chips and shrimp ceviche. Total cost from the ship, 40 pesos water taxi, food, drink 400 pesos & tip 100 pesos, ride back to Star 60 pesos, total $48 for two. This is a very easy self tour. Check it out on the CC Mexican Riviera board. You can rent ATV, Horses from Randi, surf and boogie boards and there are about five restaurants with shade and lounge chairs. Water was warm and clean, surf was fun, beach was spotless. Vendors were a pain, but that's to be expected in Mexico.

PV, took the local blue and white bus into town. Cost 13 pesos for two. Give the driver a dollar and enjoy the ride. Watch out for pick pockets. They tried me and a friend as we got on the bus and got nothing. Did a little shopping down by the river. They still charge to use the public restrooms and hand out a little t.p. for 10 pesos. In the afternoon we took our first ship's excursion, "Rhythms of the Night". $89 each and worth every penny. Look it up, there is just too much to tell. Boat ride, drinks, dinner, drinks, show, drinks, entertainment, drinks, boat ride.

Next two days were spent at sea heading north. The Pacific was smooth as glass most of the cruise. Weather was warm and no rain. So sad to know this wonderful cruise was about to end. Leaving the Star was a breeze, our bags were ready when we were and customs was the best we have ever experienced. Thank you San Pedro, your cruise port has its act together. We were on our way home before 10am.

NCL is a pleasure to cruise with. Sorry to hear you are leaving Southern-Cal. We will find you in another port and are looking forward to many more wonderful cruises with NCL.

Freestyle is our style.

Thanks for the informative review! The friendly crew is always a big draw for us and it sounds like that's what you experienced on the Star.

Did you have a Meet & Greet and have a chance to meet some of the officers?

You said your balcony cabin had no fridge. Is this something new on the Star or did I read it wrong?:confused:

Can you tell us a little about the shows/music/activities?

Did Latitudes have a wine & cheese party or some kind of evening event for Silver, Gold & Platinum?

Guess the leak in Spinnaker's has been all taken care of.:eek::)

I wondered on the fridge too. I was going to bring along Mtn Dew - since I read many comments the ships don't seem to have it. I hate to drink it over ice when its hot. Was definately hoping there would be a fridge of some sort in the room. Guess perhaps I can still get a bucket of ice to put the cans or bottles in?

Thanks for the informative review! The friendly crew is always a big draw for us and it sounds like that's what you experienced on the Star.

Barb, the crew was wonderful as they were on our other NCL cruises.

Did you have a Meet & Greet and have a chance to meet some of the officers?

We did have a M&G at Le Bistro Saturday morning. Most of the Officers from each department took as much time as we had questions. They are always so up beat and a joy to chat with.

You said your balcony cabin had no fridge. Is this something new on the Star or did I read it wrong?

My mistake:o, there was a frig and it was empty. The cabin next to us was also a BA and their frig was loaded. They had the booze, soft drinks and other stuff removed and put their own stock in as we did.

Can you tell us a little about the shows/music/activities?

Shows:

Welcome Aboard Show, CD Ray Carr, preview about shows to follow.

Band on the Run, a 70's Disco Flashback, Jean Ryan Dancers.

Believe, Bob and Sarah Trunell - illusion, magic and audience participation.

Comedy and Juggling with Scotty Cavanaugh

Second City

Close up Magic with Bob Trunell and Cirque Pacific with Jean Ryan Dancers.

Bob Trunell and Scotty Cavanaugh together and Second City Inprov.

Music (everywhere)

Piano with Pieter Bos

Caribbean Vibes with Xcite

Relaxing with Manila Trio

Piano and vocals with Jimmy Lovullo

Dancing with Melodious Jones

Pub entertainment with Shawn Hebb

Dance Party with DJ Mario

Activities, too many to mention. Typical NCL, keep you busy with food, drink, music, shows, games, "do whatever when whenever". I'm pooped. Time for a nap.:D

Did Latitudes have a wine & cheese party or some kind of evening event for Silver, Gold & Platinum?

Yes they had two Latitudes parties. The one for all Latitudes members filled the Spinnaker Lounge with over 700 attending. Endless drinks and nibbles were served.

Guess the leak in Spinnaker's has been all taken care of.:eek::)

The only liquid in Spinnaker is in bottles :pbehind the bar.

mom2tcdx2

Our Ice Bucket was filled three times a day:).

In the afternoon we took our first ship's excursion, "Rhythms of the Night". $89 each and worth every penny. Look it up, there is just too much to tell. Boat ride, drinks, dinner, drinks, show, drinks, entertainment, drinks, boat ride.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...but...did they have drinks? :p:rolleyes:

OK...seriously now...sounds like you had a great time. Since you're going to be losing the Star, let me suggest the Jewel. HD John O'Hara and his crew will "wow" you to no end.....

Steve and Bev.. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We will be back on the Star in a month and cannot wait. The Star is our fav ship of all. The reason.. simply because she has the best overall crew we have ever experienced. They always make it feel like a home away from home.

Thanks again for posting and I am so glad you had a great time.

Coasty

Did you find the new Spinnaker lounge to be too small for the functions they had in there? Was it very crowded?

Did they show movies anywhere but in the cabins now that the movie theater is gone? What movies?

Who was you cruise director?

Where is the library now?

Thanks for all your feed-back!

Back then I got about 70 pesos for my greenbacks, now only about 12. That's a big change. Mexico was a beautiful country 29 years ago and I am happy to say it is still the same.

It got up to 1200 or so pesos per dollar and then they changed the currency to take it back down so people could actually count when buying something a few years ago. You were able to trade the old currency for new ones. 1200 old pesos got you 12 new ones. The value really has not changed from your currency in the 80's.

Great review, the Star was our first cruise and as such will always have a special place in my heart. Sounds like you guys had a great trip, we are going to have to plan a cruise together some time!:D

Somehow I missed that the Star would be leaving Southern California. Is NCL pulling out of the market or will San Pedro be getting a replacement ship?

JUSRN[/size];24120691]Coasty

Did you find the new Spinnaker lounge to be too small for the functions they had in there? Was it very crowded?

It seamed full when they had the Latitudes party. Over 700 of us in there.

Did they show movies anywhere but in the cabins now that the movie theater is gone? What movies?

No movie theater. However there was two or three channels on the t.v. in the cabin. Bev say one was The Blind Side. No charge.

Who was you cruise director?

Ray Carr

Where is the library now?

The library, if you can call it that is a 4X6 book case in the Internet Cafe on deck 9 midship on the port side.

Thanks for all your feed-back!

Is NCL pulling out of the market or will San Pedro be getting a replacement ship?

At our M&G the officers told us that there were no plans they were aware of to replace the Star in Southern Cal. However, you can bet, NCL will place a ship where the money is.

EXCELLENT review! Thank you and glad your cruise was so enjoyable! We have sailed the Star before and it was one of the most perfect cruises we have taken, in every way...we board her again in just a few days for our first ever Alaska cruise! Very excited and you just upped our excitement level! Thank you =)

Archived