Pier Upgrades

ms-getaway

Has anyone ever received an upgrade at the pier. if complimentary...did u ask? or if paid for was it at a DEEP discount???

Thanks in advance for the info:)

The cruise lines have become really good at discounting & upselling to fill up the ship in the final days & weeks before the cruise, so -- sorry to say -- there really won't be any chance to upgrade at the pier. The ship will likely be completely full.

The cruise lines have become really good at discounting & upselling to fill up the ship in the final days & weeks before the cruise, so -- sorry to say -- there really won't be any chance to upgrade at the pier. The ship will likely be completely full.

Thanks just curious:)

If you book a guarantee you can sometimes get a free upgrade. That happened to us one time - they would not tell us our cabin until we got to the pier. We paid for an inside and got an oceanview. It was not a last-minute thing... the paper tickets had a code which contained the cabin number, so we knew where we were assigned... they just would not confirm it.

I have not heard of anyone getting an upgrade which was arranged at check-in. They do the assignments well in advance and they don't sail with empty cabins, so nowhere possible to upgrade to.

From the Carnival FAQs:

Upgrade Information

Opportunities to purchase an upgrade in your accommodations are available prior to the sailing date, subject to availability. Regrettably, we cannot accommodate requests for upgrades on the day of sailing because we sail full.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Upgrade_Information.aspx

:)

Has anyone ever received an upgrade at the pier. if complimentary...did u ask? or if paid for was it at a DEEP discount???

On the last 2 cruises when I was checking in I found out that I had received a free upgrade. On the March 13, 2009 sailing of the Carnival Miracle I was booked in cabin 5205 (balcony) and upgraded to cabin 8273 (wrap around balcony). On the March 22, 2010 sailing of the Carnval Destiny I was booked in cabin 1264 (ocean view) and upgraded to cabin 8173 (balcony).

On the last 2 cruises when I was checking in I found out that I had received a free upgrade. On the March 13, 2009 sailing of the Carnival Miracle I was booked in cabin 5205 (balcony) and upgraded to cabin 8273 (wrap around balcony). On the March 22, 2010 sailing of the Carnval Destiny I was booked in cabin 1264 (ocean view) and upgraded to cabin 8173 (balcony).

Sweet a wrap balcony. These things never happen to me.:( I still have fun. Would go cargo if they let me go for free.

I scored a surprise free upgrade at the pier to a suite on my first and only Carnival cruise so far (a quickie Bahama cruise on Fascination), but that was quite a while ago. As Mary Ellen pointed out, their load management techniques have grown much more sophisticated in recent years, so it's kind of like winning the lottery for that to happen these days.

I'm already an upgrade winner when I get to Legend next month, since I have already moved from an 8C to an 8K by calling when I saw the prices for my cruise drop a week or two ago. I booked past guest, so I didn't qualify for OBC from the ES rate. Still happy though.

I am sailing tomorrow, so I thought I would check my documents. I see the same cabin, but I have a $9.28 OBC. From my old documents it looks like nothing has changed.

Carnival did charge the entire amount when it was originally booked, even though I had only checked deposit. Several calls to carnival to ask why this happened. We had a transfer fee that was charged. Which was $6.00. I asked for an OBC for that amount and was told that they could not help me. They said I could reverse the total payment, but since they had already taken it out. We left it.

What could it be for? A DOD OK, I'll take that LOL

Archived