Your opinion?

stoneharborlady

My sister hates flying. She would rather drive from PA to NY for a cruise to the Caribbean.

I love flying into Ft. Lauderdale the day before, spending a day and a night at Lago Mar, swimming and walking the beach. I loved getting up at five in the morning, walking down to the channel, and watching the Caribbean Princess come into port, so close you could almost touch it. It was magical, gave me goosebumps.

For those who have done both, any advantages/or disadvantages sailing from Brooklyn. Sure, it would be great sailing past the Statue of Liberty, but having grown up in NY, and working on Wall Street, its kind of been there done that for me. The traffic and crowds, I can do without.

Assuming (and hoping like crazy) that we will have both options summer 2011, which would you choose?

Well.... I just got an email from a TA that had the summer 2011 Caribbean itineraries listed, (not available for booking until 5/5) and the only options are the CB from New York. Nothing in FLL.

Aye you saying that there will be no Caribbean cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale?:eek: I find that hard to believe.

Well.... I just got an email from a TA that had the summer 2011 Caribbean itineraries listed, (not available for booking until 5/5) and the only options are the CB from New York. Nothing in FLL.

The Princess website is showing 70 cruises departing for the Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale in 2011. The Emerald, Grand, Ruby, Crown, Pacific, and Star all have sailings listed for 2011.

The Princess website is showing 70 cruises departing for the Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale in 2011. The Emerald, Grand, Ruby, Crown, Pacific, and Star all have sailings listed for 2011.

I meant SUMMER cruises, June, July and August. I believe the above sailings end in May.

Karen

Assuming (and hoping like crazy) that we will have both options summer 2011, which would you choose?

I really don't think you will have both options......they will not keep the Emerald in FLL like this year, she will be in Europe and most likely the CB will be in NY for the Summer again.

I kind of feel the same way you do but being able to drive to the port is sounding more appealing than ever with new airline fees every year.

Aye you saying that there will be no Caribbean cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale?:eek: I find that hard to believe.
Why? Princess did it before.......NY is where the money is at.

I really don't think you will have both options......they will not keep the Emerald in FLL like this year, she will be in Europe and most likely the CB will be in NY for the Summer again.

I kind of feel the same way you do but being able to drive to the port is sounding more appealing than ever with new airline fees every year.

The money can fly to FLL from NY for a cruise. Many people do it, and other cruise lines will offer Summer Caribbean cruises from FLL and Miami.

They did Roe, but I think many cruisers turned to other cruise lines (I probably will too) to leave from Ft. Lauderdale rather than NY. NY is not exactly a relaxing start to a cruise. I agree with not loving the airline hassles, but to be honest, I dont want a 7 hour drive to NY, nor do I love the idea of leaving my car there for a week. And I dont see Princess Cays on those proposed itineraries. I would really miss that.

Believe me, I would rather stick with Princess, but I will look into Royal Caribbean.

Karen

The money can fly to FLL from NY for a cruise. Many people do it, and other cruise lines will offer Summer Caribbean cruises from FLL and Miami.
I understand that and I actually don't mind doing that because I prefer the itineraries from FLL better. However, most people from the tri-state area will not agree with me and drive to NY/NJ ports for convenience. The supply and demand is greater here and the pricing on 9 days vs. 7days is obviously more profitable for the cruiselines.

Whenever we cruise some of my friends and DH would rather fly someplace and spend a day or two there. I'm like your sister. I would rather drive to the ship and in fact, have even driven to Baltimore to leave once from Staten Island. We did fly out of Ft. lauderdale one time, but I would much rather drive to the pier right in my own back yard, leave my car and hop right on the ship. I hate dragging myself and luggage and taking shuttles and taxis etc...too much of a hassle for me personally. Some people like that commotion and adventure. I don't. We are going on a cruise in July for 9 days on Princess and will drive to the Red Hook Pier, park the car, walk across the street, check in and happily board the ship refreshed and happy. Tell your sister I said to stick to her guns ;)and drive up from PA, it's not that long of a ride. ENJOY!!!

I lived in New York all my life. Worked on Wall Street, have seen the sights millions of times and yet, sailing past the Statue of Liberty and under the Verrazano Bridge and seeing my little Staten Island in the sunshine still gives me the chills. I LOVE NEW YORK!

:)

Same with me Jenny. I live around the corner from the VZ Bridge and I love almost seeing my house as we cruise by. However, I only did it last year. Our first cruise was out of Seattle. I hated the plane ride out and back. As it turns out our bags were heavier on the return so I had to go for another $100. I was not pleased.

Leaving from the NY area is so much more convenient for me. I am going to take a couple of bottles of wine and some soda/water for my daughter. It would be too much of a hassle if I was sailing from somewhere else.

That being said, when I exhaust all of the possible cruises from NY I will probably sail from somewhere in Fla. I'd love to see Mexico.

NYGIRL1002 - I hear ya - HASSLE was the word I looking for L0L. Sometimes I'll even go down to the Boardwalk on SI just to watch the cruise ships leaving from Manhattan! Soooo jealous.

Go do Mexico...we've been there a couple of times and it's beautiful. HOT but beautiful.

:)

Jenny I love to walk over to the water by the Belt Parkway and watch the ships go by. I then come online to check which ship I just saw and where it was going. When I have to drive on the Belt I even plan the drive to coincide with the ships leaving.

Last Sunday I was shocked to see a ship coming in about 10:30 am and it turned out to be an NCL doing a repo so there was no passengers on it.

Hotels and parking in FLL are less expensive than in NY/NJ, with shuttles or inexpensive

cab rides. Yes, the air fare makes NY look more attractive to Northerners, but FLL is

worth visiting for a couple of days to decompress and enjoy the ambience.

Princess has a Northeast Motor Program and one of the motor coaches is out of PA. It's $79.00 round trip, per person. You meet the coach at a pre-determined place, they take you and your luggage to and from the port. You don't even have to handle your luggage at the port.

I am going to use a private company to drive my own car to the port and pick us up in our car. They leave the car at my house between pick ups. It's $80.00 each way. There are 4 of us and it's cheaper than parking at the port.

I love going out of NY. This is the first time out of Red Hook, but I presume the traffic can't be much worse than Manhattan. And, I don't have to worry about charges for airfare, for each piece of luggage, or even chosing my own seat.

One thing to consider is the amount of sea days. The NY departure would have more getting to and from the warmer weather. If you want max beach time in the Caribbean then it would be better to start closer to the beaches... ie FL

Archived