Volendam just booked!

stringo

My partner and I and our two friends have just booked today for a tour of Canada followed by a 7 night voyage on the Volendam in Alaska. To say we are all excited is an understatement - although it is not until May 2011 !! I will be doing my usual research and planning ( all part of the enjoyment of holidays ) but I would appreciate if anyone can comment on their experience of the ship - especially around Alaska. :)

Outstanding! A tour of Canada followed by an Alaskan cruise, and with a group of close friends. That sounds wonderful.

I have cruised on the Volendam, and I have taken an Alaska cruise but not at the same time. So I can only say that both were great.:)

For a visit in May, take warm clothes. It's possible that not all of the touristy sites will be open and up to full speed. But the scenery will be fabulous.

Take lots of pictures.

Thanks for the quick reply - I will be checking out your link. We are flying to Calgary, staying in Banff , Lake Louise then the Rocky Mountaineer, followed by Vancouver then picking up the ship there. Can't wait - our friend is 50 next year and he and his wife asked us to join them on a trip he has always wanted to do.

Excellent! You will see some of the most breathtaking parts of Canada (not all, you'll have to do several trips to see a reasonable amount of Canada). There are several posters here on the HAL board who live in/around/near Calgary, Banff and Lake Louise, and Vancouver.

We did Alaska last May and the weather was so warm we were in shorts! Yup...you never know though as it could be very, very cold too. The glaciers in May are wonderful to see. (we did another Alaska cruise in September and I preferred May).

Our son and his girlfriend did the helicopter/dog sled tour in Juneau and loved it. Very expensive but they said it was so worth the once in a lifetime experience. They had worn heavy coats etc but when they got to the glacier it was so warm you didn't even need them.

Enjoy browsing the Alaska forum and deciding which excursions you want to do. That is so much fun trying to decide. Make sure you have lots of memory cards for your camera as we saw lots of wildlife while on the ship-ie bears and whales.

Happy Sailing. My wife and I have done Alaska twice - first on former Noordam after spending 5 days with my parents at Expo in Vancouver. Second was with her family on the Star Princess. Hope you have clear weather. The naturalist on our first cruise said we were one of the few cruises he had been on (over 100 before) when the passengers got a view of Mt. Fairweather going into Glacier Bay! Enjoy the planning - I am deep into the same for our Panama Canal cruise on Statendam this fall.

Archived